Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 AM

26 posts, read 170,353 times

Advertisements

I may be offered a job at Naval Air Station Jacksonville or Naval Station Mayport. I am also retired military, but unfortunately, have not spent very much time in Florida. I would greatly appreciate any info about decent places (to buy or rent, apartments or houses) that are close to either location (would like a 20 minute drive or less to either location, if that is even possible).

Also, how is the weather? I have read Jacksonville has suffered less damage from hurricanes than most other east coast cities, and that June through September are the wettest months.

Thanks in advance for this and any other info you may be able to provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
If you end up at NAS Jax, you might want to look into living in Clay county, that's a popular choice for people who work at NAS Jax. Another popular choice is to live across the bridge in Mandarin and commute over each day. Mandarin is in Jacksonville/Duval county and the commute should be appx 30 minutes to NAS Jax.

If you end up at Mayport, you'd probably want to live outside of Mayport. Living at the beach (Atlantic/Neptune/Jax Beach) is one option if the budget allows. Another would be to live in the Intracoastal West area, the commute would still be very easy from there, especially if you use the Wonderwood Expressway. If you want to look into living in Intracoastal West, stick to the northern part for the best commute to Mayport, try zip 32225 and if you want to expand out from there, look at the northern parts of 32246 and 32224.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 41,000 times
My husband also has a chance to get orders to Pensacola, Jacksonville, or Mayport. Anyone have any preferences. I would be looking for a civilian job, we have no kids.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
1) Mayport is part of Jacksonville.

2) Jacksonville has waaaaay more jobs than Pensacola.

3) There are tons of good housing options for you, depending on how close you want to be to Mayport / NAS & what type of area you want to live in. (ie, new construction, historic neighborhoods, mid-century, true walkable neighborhoods, apartment complexes, suburbish subdivisions, etc. All of these are possible with in 20 minute drive.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM

57 posts, read 143,119 times
As for the weather.... Its HOT and HUMID today mid 90's tomorrow upper 90's. During the winter does not get really cold.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM

200 posts, read 618,904 times
Mayport is a smaller "town" very close to the beach. However, most sailors prefer to live either at the beaches or in Intercoastal West which consists of 32224, 32225.. Riveree is correct about NAS-most choose to stay in Clay County-Orange Park in particular.
Jacksonville is a great place for couples without children just the same. It is known as the "youngest" city on the east coast??? The night life may not be the best, but there is plenty to do.
I grew up in central Florida so to me the summers are much milder! It does get hot, especially to people who aren't used to this type of weather but the good part is it does get cooler than the rest of Florida in the winter months.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,599 times
My husband works at NAS Jax and we live in Duval County. We're actually only five miles from where he works on base, he can even come home on his lunch breaks so thats really nice. The traffic isnt too bad either, especially compared to other base commutes hes experienced.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 41,000 times
Someone told my husband that the the cost of living was lower in Pensacola, but I'm concerned about getting a job for myself. If you had a choice to retire in Pensacola or Jacksonville, which would you choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville