U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,712,083 times

Advertisements

So I moved here in July 2007 in a new construction home. Obviously, the home warranty has expired as of July 2008. I have had a service contract with an air conditioning company, and had 'maintenance' done about 7 weeks ago. The air conditioning went down about a couple of weeks ago. They claimed that there was a leak in the copper piping (forgive me for the lack of anatomy of air conditioning units). Today, I come home to a house that is 84 degrees inside. The service people say that they will return Monday. They said I probably have to replace the AC unit (are they smoking something?). They may have to empty the Freon and have to charge me to replace the Freon after they do diagnostics.

Do I have any rights, here in FL, to address this?
Contact the BBB?
Contact the builder?
Help! I am burning up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,498,069 times
I just went through this with one of the rental properties I manage. Fortunately, it was only a "low refrigerant" issue, and not a leak. My AC guy did the diagnostics with his "sniffer" machine, to see if he could detect any refrigerant. Then, he charged the system with nitrogen, and checked again for leaks. (Nitrogen is MUCH cheaper than refrigerant, and is still detectable by the "sniffer" machine.) Never found anything. So, he left the nitrogen charge in the system for about 36 hours, to make sure it held pressure. Once he returned, and confirmed no leaks, he evacuated the nitrogen, then charged the system with refrigerant. Unfortunately, refrigerant is $25 per pound, and you could need 8# or more.

We were glad it wasn't an issue with the copper piping, but that possibility was discussed. Sometimes, there just isn't any way around it. You could call the builder, though, to see if that's something they'll cover, if the leak turns out to be in the wall or in the slab.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:32 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,520,217 times
titaniummd
Can you dig up the original paperwork for the system ?
Depending on which system you have some of the parts have 5 year warranties you just have to pay the service call.

We also bought new construction and during the first year the capacitor (I think that is what it was called) went out. it blew air but not cold air.

We replaced the system this spring because it was the minimum the builder had to put in and it never seemed to cool the house. We went with 1 more ton and a higher seer and have really noticed a difference

You want my A/C guys number

Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 AM

377 posts, read 1,581,930 times
We had a hole in our copper pipe that freon was leaking out of.... a wire was laying on the pipe and that's all it took to create a hole - I guess from friction. They replaced that piece of the pipe and also the freon. He had mentioned that if the unit was running without any freon for a period of time, it could burn up other things in the unit.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 PM

28 posts, read 115,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
We had a hole in our copper pipe that freon was leaking out of.... a wire was laying on the pipe and that's all it took to create a hole - I guess from friction. They replaced that piece of the pipe and also the freon. He had mentioned that if the unit was running without any freon for a period of time, it could burn up other things in the unit.
I had the same thing happen to mine, its only 2 years old. Apparently the way they are built at the manufacturer, they do not consider that the two peices of copper rubbing together will eventually cause a pinhole in the copper. Needless to say, I couldnt go back on the installer or the manufacturer. Just need to repair the hole and recharge the unit.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:47 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,712,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
So I moved here in July 2007 in a new construction home. Obviously, the home warranty has expired as of July 2008. I have had a service contract with an air conditioning company, and had 'maintenance' done about 7 weeks ago. The air conditioning went down about a couple of weeks ago. They claimed that there was a leak in the copper piping (forgive me for the lack of anatomy of air conditioning units). Today, I come home to a house that is 84 degrees inside. The service people say that they will return Monday. They said I probably have to replace the AC unit (are they smoking something?). They may have to empty the Freon and have to charge me to replace the Freon after they do diagnostics.

Do I have any rights, here in FL, to address this?
Contact the BBB?
Contact the builder?
Help! I am burning up here!
The compressor is 'broken'. They said labor would cost $700 to $1200 but the part is covered. Is that right? They say Lennox is a bad company and to replace it with a Carrier model.

I feel like I am getting scammed.

I am going to contact Lennox tomorrow morning to ask for a second opinion.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM

17,835 posts, read 30,520,217 times
I would definitely get a second opinion

When they replaced our system the compressor was the easiest part
The air handler was the most complected and took the longest

We replaced our unit (which I think was a carrier) with a trane

Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM

377 posts, read 1,581,930 times
I think the compressor's warranty for lenox is for either 5 or 10 years for parts(compressor), but only 1 year for labor. Our compressor went out right at one year, so it was covered. If you have a home warranty that cover major house items, some of these warranties cover the compressor.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM

2,455 posts, read 5,498,069 times
Yeah, get a 2nd from Lennox directly, and see if they have a recommended contractor that'll do the work at a reasonable rate. That sounds high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville