U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,341,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley99 View Post
It's been over a week and I miss nothing of that city...snoozeville that city
LOL ... so why do you keep looking back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:58 AM

7,470 posts, read 17,253,472 times
Yea, I don't understand that either!
Jenniferashley99.......you're GONE and GLAD......so why keep making anymore comments? The Charlotte, NC area (Huntersville) just wasn't for us, but we don't go into their Forum and "bad mouth" it. We moved, just like you did from here!
Just FYI: I do understand your feelings (at your age) about a city that isn't like Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York......cities like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
LOL ... so why do you keep looking back?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 PM

90 posts, read 155,818 times
I lived in JAX for 10 years and loved it. We loved that all the big hurricanes missed us cause of the bend in the shoreline, We enjoyed the cheese soup at the A1A in St Aug, the festivals at the beach, the sunday brunches at the restaurant across from the landing, taking out-of-town guests to St George street and the landing, 2 hours to Savannah, Daytona, a few to Disney, 6 hours to skiing, 16 to the jersey shore, 9am mommy groups on JAX beach, close to the airport, the beer at 7 bridges and the young crowd in that Tinseltown area, and the people being from everywhere.

I lived in Jersey, south FL and then JAX so I had a few things to compare to.

We moved to Puerto Rico and it made me appreciate every single thing we have in this country. I am so thankful to have the conveniences that every area offers and the courtesy of my neighbors. The list is too long and painful to recall but it was dirty (like I never saw before), rude, lack of education, lack of compassion, animal cruelty, lack of rules and general regard for outsiders.
We hand them money hand over fist and it goes straight to the politicians. Its a shame and some day someone is going to stand up and demand better.
I am so thankful for every sacrifice made to keep our country what it is.

Sorry, touchy subject

Any who....I LOVED JAX and the JAX Ale house and Sneakers for laid back beach time..oh and of course the outside movies at the beach in the park...oh and the golf tournaments, and has anyone even mentioned Nocatee ....thats a different post

Old 07-30-2009, 05:05 PM

it was nice to recall all the positives of JAX...boy I miss it and my wonderful friends

Old 07-31-2009, 06:18 AM

I forgot to mention the Alhambra dinner theatre..ok its not NY but really NY is the only NY. I use to go there to get my theatre fix and it was a wonderful evening.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 AM

48 posts, read 145,169 times
I currently live here in Jacksonville and I also feel it's boring. I am forced to live here because the husband's family is here along with mine( until they move 1Q next year).

There is nothing to do. Yes the beaches are nice and we have a river in the middle of town, but so do a lot of other cites. Those cities also have culture and night time entertainment. There is a reason why the city is always on the bottom of lists in regards to culture, nightlife, walk ability and education. The city lacks direction and has been trying to build itself since the 60's. Crime is every where (ask the homeowners in Ortega how safe they feel now). Every time the little man at the Mayors office gets mad at Tallahassee he raises taxes.

I've had my family visiting from places like NYC, Baltimore, Seattle, Austin and St Louis all of whom wonder why we still live her. Jacksonville is jokingly referred to by our family as the speed bump between ATL and Orlando.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:07 AM

919 posts, read 2,344,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Doe View Post
I currently live here in Jacksonville and I also feel it's boring. I am forced to live here because the husband's family is here along with mine( until they move 1Q next year).

There is nothing to do. Yes the beaches are nice and we have a river in the middle of town, but so do a lot of other cites. Those cities also have culture and night time entertainment. There is a reason why the city is always on the bottom of lists in regards to culture, nightlife, walk ability and education. The city lacks direction and has been trying to build itself since the 60's. Crime is every where (ask the homeowners in Ortega how safe they feel now). Every time the little man at the Mayors office gets mad at Tallahassee he raises taxes.

I've had my family visiting from places like NYC, Baltimore, Seattle, Austin and St Louis all of whom wonder why we still live her. Jacksonville is jokingly referred to by our family as the speed bump between ATL and Orlando.
No JAX does not have the greatest nightlife, but that doesn't make it bad... The cost of living alone is a HUGE HUGE selling point...

I am 21 and find that there is plenty to do here for me, even more so because I take home so much more money here... I am from the DC/Metro area...

Most other cities like the ones you mentioned, DC, Baltimore, Seattle, etc... have ridiculously high costs of living... So even if they have a better nightlife you will be forced to live in a smaller place, and even though you have access to more things you will have to donate blood just to be able to afford a few drinks...

You want to talk crime? Lets talk DC and Baltimore... They are both on the 10 most dangerous city list... What do you know JAX isn't even on there...

JAX is not your stereotypical big city but I have found that to be a good thing... I live in an extremely safe suburb right outside of JAX and I am so happy I moved out of the Peoples Republic of MD... That place was so oppressively expensive...

I get the opposite response from my friends and relatives from MD, they all think this place is great...

Old 08-01-2009, 12:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,341,535 times
Quote:
I've had my family visiting from places like NYC, Baltimore, Seattle, Austin and St Louis all of whom wonder why we still live here. .
Pull up any city on Citidata, including these, and you can always find people dying to flee their own city for one reason or another. Jax is no different. There are reasons to love and hate every city in America, it's personal.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:39 PM

48 posts, read 145,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Pull up any city on Citidata, including these, and you can always find people dying to flee their own city for one reason or another. Jax is no different. There are reasons to love and hate every city in America, it's personal.
That's strange because those same friends said you couldn't give them a house here.

Yeah the cost of living is lower here.You save money, but then what do you spend it on? Monster Truck show? Motor cross? Buy a horse? Go to the handful of clubs and hope you don't get shot?

You have a lower cost of living to go with your lower pay and then you spend most of your time living inside your house because 1) It hellish outside 2) Takes 30 mins to get there or 3) You already went there in month 1.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM

919 posts, read 2,344,359 times
Quote:
That's strange because those same friends said you couldn't give them a house here.

Yeah the cost of living is lower here.You save money, but then what do you spend it on? Monster Truck show? Motor cross? Buy a horse? Go to the handful of clubs and hope you don't get shot?

You have a lower cost of living to go with your lower pay and then you spend most of your time living inside your house because 1) It hellish outside 2) Takes 30 mins to get there or 3) You already went there in month 1.
The pay may be less but it is not proportionate to the cost of living... You might make 10k more a year in the DC/Metro area but your expenses just based on cost of living alone are going to be 30k more a year...

There is plenty to do here, not everyone wants to be partying at 3 in the morning on a weekday... There are nice beaches, lots of nice restaurants and lots of nice malls... Not to mention the nice movie theaters down here...

I don't know where you lived in JAX that you keep bringing it up as not being safe... With as large as JAX is I would say that only about 20-30% of it I would consider somewhat dangerous.... Compare that to about 90% in DC and about 80% in Baltimore... You turn down the wrong road in DC and you look like you don't fit in thats it for you... Murder capital of the world...

Also it is barely cooler in MD right now and the humidity is higher... The weather in the northeast sucks every bit as bad...

Go try DC or Baltimore and if you make it out alive or with any money left we will see what your opinion is then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or