U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 PM

92 posts, read 378,670 times

Advertisements

i live in hawaii (job purposes)... but i'd live in jax hands down any day! it's an enjoyable city if you've got good friends to enjoy it with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 PM

48 posts, read 145,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Norfolk? Really? C'mon, you aren't be objective.

Your right why would I want to be in a city that has:

BATTLESHIP WISCONSIN
Nauticus
Norfolk Botanical Garden
Chrysler Museum of Art (Which would make the Cummer and JMOMA cry <---yes I know the old name...but how funny was is to say you're gonna visit J Moma)
MacArthur Memorial---does Jacksonville HAVE any historical sites to rival?
Virginia Opera
Virginia Stage Company
Virginia Ballet Theatre (there ARE more ballets then the Nutcracker)

Jacksonville has none of those things. Not to mention Norfolk can have big name entertainment do shows there. The St Auggie Amphitheater can draw bigger names then Jacksonville can.

Jacksonville is a cutlual waste land. Not everyone wants to go to the worlds largest outdoor cocktail party. Some people don't think that the beach is the end all be all. How many times can you take a beer tour?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 PM

976 posts, read 892,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
you guys can still keep trying to convince me although my move is already in motion!
You're leaving Charlotte for Jax?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,888,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
yes

Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 AM

7,472 posts, read 17,270,471 times
We did it, and are darn glad that we did!
Actually we lived in Huntersville, but the Charlotte area as a whole had very little to offer us after being there a little over a year. We love boating/fishing, but LN turned out not to be what we wanted for that. On top of that, we wanted to live somewhere where we could wear shorts all year long (if we wanted to) and (for us) that sure wasn't Charlotte area in the winter.....not with a daytime high sometimes in the lower 40's.
If it wouldn't have been for some people scaring us with two words
"gators and hurricanes", we would have moved to Jax from Colorado.....not to North Carolina first! But, driving from CO to NC was very nice and we seen a number of cool things on the way like Elvis's Home, Nashville, Dolly's Dixie Stampede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post

Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 AM

Charlotte is a fine city. The job is relocating me. However, I do not like being taxed to the hilt (NC is 15th in tax burden and rising) and feeling like I'm not getting anything back. So, I will welcome the no income tax and lower sales tax in the JAX area. Will be paying more in property tax though, but with the reputation of the St. John's school district, I'll actually feel like I'm getting something back.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 AM

976 posts, read 892,352 times
Charlotte is awesome. Jax I like too, my favorite "big city" in the state by far. Miami, Orlando, Tampa - forget about it. You'd be headed back to Charlotte real quick, lol. But Jax will be not too much of an adjustment. Crime in Jax is a little more I would bet, but we got the beaches. Charlotte is more "professional" and I find the people in both places to be pretty friendly as Jax has kept a lot of it's southerness, which I like.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM

Seems to me that JAX and Charlotte's crime is both centered in certain areas. Charlotte's new problem is the M-13 gang from El Salvador but they don't seem to hurt anyone outside of their ghetto area but that can change. New police chief seems to be making an impact too.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 PM

90 posts, read 155,955 times
if you ever have the opportunity to live in PR...you will realize that they do not consider themselves part of this country nor do they have any of the luxuries we have here. in my opinion it was like living in another country and I have NO desire to ever live outside the USA again. We met many nice people there that accepted that way of living ...I was just a spoiled american (as they said) and thankful for the people that sacrificed to I could have ever convenience and be spoiled!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:12 AM

90 posts, read 155,955 times
I know alot of PR people have moved there, but until you sit in a 2 mile line for gas, have you electricity turned off every day for "island conservation", have homeless people pound on your window at EVERY stoplight begging for money, no safe playgrounds because they are swamped with drug dealers, no street names, starving animals all over roads, and the predjudice against me was unreal and I felt so bad for people that have been hated for their skin color..until you feel that for yourself you cant even realte to what another race goes through..it was very scary and hurtful. My list is so long this is just not the thread for it.
I find it strange that people dont like Jax. It is a 9-5 city. It has crime like everywhere. But it does offer alot including #1 healthcare at the MAYO, the alhambra, the festivals that offer so much good food and nocatee will offer a huge waterpark. And the HISTORY IS IN ST AUGUSTINE sheesh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or