U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 9,164 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving near year's end and have narrowed it down to a few areas, and wondering if someone could provide info regarding crime/safety & general atmosphere in these areas--being a single female that's my priority, tied with affordability of course; although I've spent some time in these areas it's usually a little different when you live there, so hoping someone can help me make an informed decision before I commit to anything.

So one of the areas I am (was?) interested in was just west of Jacksonville Beach. I looked at some condos near the Super Target--Heron's Landing & Wolf Creek and really liked the former. But, after doing an address search on the crime map (someone on here provided that link, thanks for that) learned that there have been quite a few incidents there, which I found surprising since it's so new (they're still actively selling), and it's gated.

What's more surprising is that in doing the same search on Wolf Creek, which is essentially next door, there were very few incidents, which I found weird since there are far more rentals there. Can anyone give me more info on this part of town? Would you consider it very safe (with Heron's Landing maybe being an exception), borderline, or just not worth it? Sorry for being so paranoid, but I'm used to the crime being nearly nonexistent in the suburbs, where it seems it's fairly prevalent in Jax, even outside the 'bad' areas of town.

Also, I wanted to live in this area to sort of have the best of both worlds--be close to the beach but not so concerned w/evacuation issues. However, after scouring this forum for info, it seems people aren't that crazy about it (jax beach), but when I was there I thought it was pretty cute. Is the crime really that bad there in terms of just going places during the day?

Additionally, if I moved to that area, I would want a close natural foods market. I did a search and found Turtle Island Natural Foods in Atlantic Beach (363 Atlantic Blvd). Am I going to run into problems frequenting this area during the day?

The other place I'm interested in is Ponte Vedra. Everything I've read here indicates it's a pretty safe area, but expensive. I've decided to start out renting for a while no matter where I end up, and there are a few affordable places there (or near there): namely, Avistele, Soleil, and The Palms at Marsh Landing (which seems to be between Jax Beach and Ponte Vedra).

Incidentally, I visited the Palms at Marsh Landing when I was there last, too, when I was thinking I might purchase, but they have several rentals there as well--any info about these in particular? I like the look of them, but the cheap price concerns me.

Also, I read on here someone had said that if you rent an apartment, you can be sure to have your car broken into; is that the case in Ponte Vedra as well? I realize crime might happen anywhere, but when it's all but guaranteed, well, I don't find that acceptable.

Finally, what's the atmosphere like in Ponte Vedra? I realize where there's money there's going to be some stuffiness, but I want to feel like I might make at least a few friends. I'm more of a laid back type and, although I do okay for myself, I don't drive a Mercedes, and even when I can afford to, I don't feel like that will give me the right to look down on others.

Sorry this was so long, but want to be as informed as possible before I make that move. I work at home so feeling comfortable where I live is extremely important to me (even a six month commitment can seem like eternity when you're home most of the time), with not getting carjacked/assaulted/held up in the grocery store parking lot a close second. Thanks to anyone who can offer insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,712,083 times
I don't think a person could generalize between the two areas that you refer. I am also looking for a second home in Jacksonville Beach, Ponte Vedra or St. Augustine.

I like the commerce, restaurants and shops at Jacksonville Beach; however, Ponte Vedra is a little bit more spread out in terms of its businesses. St. Augustine is nice, especially downtown but the population seems transient, when compared to the latter two.

With regards to safety, I feel safer in Ponte Vedra over St. Augustine over Jacksonville Beach.

With regards to the type/look of the beach, I prefer Jacksonville Beach over St. Augustine over Ponte Vedra.

If you want safety, look at these neighborhoods at night. See what your comfort level is. I don't know if there is a 'crime blotter' outlining crime rates in Duval (Jacksonville Beach) versus St Johns (PV and St Augustine) but it is worth a Google Search.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...rty-Crime.aspx

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...St--Johns.aspx

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...St--Johns.aspx

Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 AM

238 posts, read 816,173 times
Depends on what you're looking for. All of those areas are nice and relatively safe. Wolf Creek is nice, so are many parts of Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra. If you want more retail, more restaurants, beaches with lots of people, then choose Jacksonville Beach. If you like a more quiet conservative upscale area (plenty of retail and restaurants but more expensive), then go with Ponte Vedra. I personally love the beaches much better south of Ponte Vedra - more natural, less touristy, less people.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:30 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,852,666 times
The Wolf Creek area is perfectly nice and safe, it's basically the Intracoastal West area. The nice thing is that you'd have a lot of what you might need right outside your complex (SuperTarget, Publix, etc.), as you know. The area has a brand new library, a nice new city park, and you're 10 minutes to either the ocean or the Saint Johns Town Center, so it's a pleasant spot to live in.

Jax Beach has more character, but also more "characters" . As a single female, I'd want to be sure I was in a very safe part of Jax Beach and not one of the more questionable parts if I was to move there, and really, I'd probably choose Atlantic Beach over Jax Beach if I could. It's pretty easy to spot the rougher areas of Jax Beach, just drive thru by day and you'll know which spots to avoid.

Ponte Vedra is very safe and would be easy to live in. Stuffy? I don't know for sure if it is, but it does have a bit of that reputation. Again, if I was living at the beach, I'd choose Atlantic Beach over PVB. As for Palms @ Marsh Landing, if I'm thinking of the right place, they were apartment conversions to condos, correct? A friend of mine owned there briefly and liked it. Apartment conversions need to be approached with caution though.

For natural foods, there is Whole Foods, of course. It would not be terribly far since it's right off 9A. There is a Native Sun right off 9A as well. Either of these should have most or all of what you'd need. I lived in the area of Wolf Creek for a while and I used to drive down 9A to Native Sun @ Baymeadows (it's only 2 exits south).

Sounds like you can rent in any of the areas and try it out first and that's a good way not to have to make an immediate commitment. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

50 posts, read 137,561 times
Default It's all good...

My wife and I lived in Jacksonville from 1996-2006 and loved every minute of it. My wife was one of the Wolf Creek sales people and sold hundreds of homes in that community. Wolf Creek is much more convenient than living at the beaches if you intend on working in town. Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra Beach are nice. You can't go wrong with either.
Crime was never an issue in the ten years that we lived there. Keep in mind that all beach towns have transient visitors, so petty crime is unavoidable.
We live in Tucson, AZ and can't wait to get back to Jacksonville. We should never have left...

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,949 times
Hey there I've lived in both Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra about 80% of my life. I wouldn't really recommend living in Jacksonville in the downtown area. There are lots of crimes down there and creeps. But that's just like every downtown area right? Ponte Vedra is...Alright. I will warn you. Majority of Ponte Vedra is rich stuck up snobs. There are some very nice people in there, but it's hard to find them. People in Ponte Vedra are pretty materialistic and live on iphones and the latest and most expensive purses or cell phones. Since you're single, I'd hit the beach to meet some nice singles I would defiantly recommend Mickler's Beach, it's a low key beach, nice people are there. I won't recommend going to Jax Beach, there are some creeps there too... If you're looking for a nice place that isn't over price like Ponte Vedra, I would ask you to check out Nocatee, it's a brand new town they are building just south of Ponte Vedra (It's over the bridge) It's a no-crime area, they are building a new town center there, a water park, and you can build a (or buy) a new home for as low as 200's. Here's a link for the town. [url=http://www.nocatee.com/]Town of Nocatee[/url]

Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM

25 posts, read 76,022 times
Default Nocatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblondie View Post
Hey there I've lived in both Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra about 80% of my life. I wouldn't really recommend living in Jacksonville in the downtown area. There are lots of crimes down there and creeps. But that's just like every downtown area right? Ponte Vedra is...Alright. I will warn you. Majority of Ponte Vedra is rich stuck up snobs. There are some very nice people in there, but it's hard to find them. People in Ponte Vedra are pretty materialistic and live on iphones and the latest and most expensive purses or cell phones. Since you're single, I'd hit the beach to meet some nice singles I would defiantly recommend Mickler's Beach, it's a low key beach, nice people are there. I won't recommend going to Jax Beach, there are some creeps there too... If you're looking for a nice place that isn't over price like Ponte Vedra, I would ask you to check out Nocatee, it's a brand new town they are building just south of Ponte Vedra (It's over the bridge) It's a no-crime area, they are building a new town center there, a water park, and you can build a (or buy) a new home for as low as 200's. Here's a link for the town. Town of Nocatee

What are thoughts on Walden Chase, Florentine and Bartram Springs. I'd like to stay around $200k. Is it part of PVB Schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville