U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 AM
tsd tsd started this thread

17 posts, read 43,434 times

Advertisements

Putting the house up for sale here in Atlanta to move to St. Aug area. Absolutely can't wait! I had many good years in Atlanta (in the 90's) but this past decade hs been an invasion. The quality of life is down the tubes and now that I have a son, I would never raise him here (it's child abuse) I can't express how much I hate it here now. (can you tell I'm ready for change?) Anyway...

Even though I will be moving to St. Aug, I'd like to know a little more of all the different cities that comprise greater Jax - the city. Like this town is a military town, this is old and historic, this is poor and something to stay away from, this is overcrowded, this is upper class, etc.

thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,388,813 times
Ok. Well....

1) Jacksonville is the largest city land-wise in the country, so all the smaller towns or suburbs that would normally be the seperate "cities" that you are refering to are actually part of the Jacksonville. Thus, we are talking about different parts of town, not seperate towns.

2) It's a military town. Strong on business, weak on tourism, has a lot of financial & medical industry. It's a prime example of suburban sprawl, as about half the city's population lives away from Downtown and the heart of the city in the "Southside" of town. Generally conservative, though that's changing slowly, considered a great "family" city, lots of outdoorsy things to enjoy. Sports (specifically football) are valued greatly, as is Christianity.

3) The City is generally divided into 6 parts of town, as far as i'm concerned.

- Downtown (the actual Downtown area....tall buildings, etc). Not that many people actually live Downtown now, but that's slowly changing as more & more lofts and apartments are built. Many people would say that's it's dead after 5pm & on the weekends, but that's not really true...it's just not nearly as developed as most other big city's Downtowns. This is where almost all of the big events in the city are: symphony, museums, the best library in the state, nfl football, pro basball, the Jax arena, all the big holidays events, concerts, speakers, etc.

- The Historic neighborhoods that encircle Downtown (Riverside, Avondale, San Marco Springfield...and you can throw in Murray Hill too). These are varying degrees of old, Springfield being the oldest (1865) and Murray Hill being the youngest (1930's i think). In general, these are character filled areas that have a lot of parks, arts, unique restaurants, botiques, and are popular with young people. San Marco, Avondale, & Riverside are the most developed and renovated...all very nice. Springfield was a very bad area, but it's fine now...still has rough edges but it's been up & coming for a while, so you can get the most bang for your buck here. Murray Hill never got as bad as Springfield, but the homes are much smaller and aren't as historic. It's also considred a safe bet for up & coming. These Historic areas are probably the most walkable as well, with many things very close by.

- Westside (a very large, general area). The westside has good areas and bad areas, but in general it's a blue collar, working class area. I think of uneducated white trash, red necks, and poor ghetto when i think of it, but that's just me. Like i said, there are very nice areas too....but in general there is nothing distinguished about it. Some very rural areas too.

- Northside (a very large, general area). There are really 3 parts: ghetto Northside, middle-class Northisde, & rural Northside....in that order, going North. Ghetto Northside is not somewhere you want to be....at all. Middle-class Northside is mostly working-class, middle-class African-Americans, and rural Northside is more undevelpoed and country.

- Southside (a very large, general area). The Southside of town is a huge area made up of many smaller neighborhoods (or subdivisions). For me, this is everything East and Southeast of Downtown until you hit the Intracoastal waterway. Most of this area is going to be newer neighborhoods, sub- divisions, gated communities, apartment complexes, malls, chain restaurants, golf courses, nature perseves, etc. i don't particularly care for this area for a variet of reasons....(it could be anywhere in the country, nothing unique about anything at all, heavy congestion, you have to drive everywhere, not very walkable or bikeable, few parks).

- Beaches. The Beaches is anything East of the Intracoastal Waterway. It's generally nice and pleasant, though not all areas. Not super developed yet, which is good. Most of it is a typical, normal, middle-class Beach community...but at the Southern end is the super posh & wealthy Ponte Vedra Beach area, that's very exclusive. The Beaches have a lot of festivals and arts as well.

4) All of these areas of town have good areas and bad areas, and no matter where you are you always to be aware of crime. can't escape that in any neighborhood (as the Ponte Vedra and Ortega residents have found out this year).

5) the amount of Gator fans here is ridiculous. Most are very obnoxious & "country". They think Tim Tebow is the second coming.....no, for real.

6) 45 minutes from St. Augustine, 90 minutes from Gainesville, 140 minutes from Tallahassee, 3 hours to Orlando, 4 hours to Tampa, 90 minutes to St. Simons Island, 3 hours (i think) to Savannah, 5 1/2 hours to Miami, 5 hours to Atanta.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:13 PM

57 posts, read 129,786 times
Fsu gave you lots of good information. I would change one thing. Atlanta is closer to 6 to 6.5 hours away. That depending what area of Atlanta. What are of Atlanta do you live in? We just moved down from Dallas, Ga about 6 months ago.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM

150 posts, read 528,072 times
I agree with fsu about MOST things (especially Tim Tebow being falsely regarded as some kind of Christ figure), I disagree about one:

The Southside/Intracoastal West area actually has LOTS os one of a kind things and places and could not "be anywhere in the country etc.". Things like: the Timicuan preserve, the Ribault Monument, Castaway Preserve. and on and on. The area is home to lots of cool historical places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville