U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM

28 posts, read 115,043 times

Advertisements

I have been in the process of trying to start up my own smoker BarBQ business, kind of like the hotdog cart idea, but selling bar-b-q rib and pulled pork sandwiches. And also cater parties and community events. The city makes it so difficult, with understanding of health reasons, to get going with something of that sort. I know now that the grill itself needs to have a roof and floor and would still need the Mobile vending cart to go along. I see this all the time without the mobile unit..just the grill selling pork and ribs. Is there something Im missing??? A loop hole to get around all the regulations?? Maybe just doing it on the weekend. And whats the cost if you get nabbed by the inspector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM

138 posts, read 353,496 times
Man, I wish I had some info for you. Just want to say your thread got me to thinking of the days when you could pull off Hecksher Dr. and buy fresh smoked mullet from a vendor. Usually a pickup with a bed full of coolers and a trailer/smoker. Some fine eating there.
I wish you luck, I'm sure there's plenty of red tape and hoops in front of you.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:20 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,201,952 times
I, too, don't know the answer to your questions. But when you are up and running, you'll have to let us know. I'll be sure to stop by for some BBQ!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:10 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,910,202 times
No you cannot get around the regs. All states have them and seriously who's going to wanna eat something somebody else made that can kill you in their own kitchen yuk lol.

Likely you need to prep in an approved inspected kitchen etc etc. I was talking to a hot dog vendor at the home depot and he told me he's ONLY ALLOWED TO SELL HOT DOGS. Period.
He was from Philly and I was trying to talk him into selling cheesesteaks there like they do at Home Depot in Philly (but not from a cart) and he said no way is it allowed.

I barely eat in ANY restaurants let alone off some guy's cart for just that reason, them wanting to get around regulations that are there for my protection. It's in every state not just here.

One reason you CANNOT sell barbeque from a CART is food safety transporting them all over the place your temp drops below the safety heat point. DO you have any restaurant experience? Even yesterday I watched Whole Foods checking temps on their hot service and the guy removed two items.

Have you even checked your insurance costs?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 AM

138 posts, read 353,496 times
Here's a link to a great smoking forum, some local folks on there may be able to answer your questions. There is a forum for catering.
There are mobile BBQ caterers in the area, I'm not in the business but I believe nothing trumps a positive mental attitude. Personally I would take the negativity of the last post as a challenge!

Smoking Meat Forums - Active Threads

Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM

38 posts, read 115,667 times
I built a Pig Roaster/Smoker for someone who does Pig Roasts on Weekends. I'll ask him what 'hoops' he had/has to 'jump' through. I can tell you his minimum charge is $750.00 which feeds 25 or so people. This includes the Pig, Chicken, Hamburgers, Hot dogs, and all Buns/condiments for them. His 'latest' idea he has been bugging me about is to build him a 'portable' Wood fired Brick Oven.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wack-a-Mole View Post
I built a Pig Roaster/Smoker for someone who does Pig Roasts on Weekends. I'll ask him what 'hoops' he had/has to 'jump' through. I can tell you his minimum charge is $750.00 which feeds 25 or so people. This includes the Pig, Chicken, Hamburgers, Hot dogs, and all Buns/condiments for them. His 'latest' idea he has been bugging me about is to build him a 'portable' Wood fired Brick Oven.
Yes please ask him. I know alot of people do it on the weekends, or for personal parties, and can get by without all of the legalities. And there are alot of them and I too can understand them being put in place..as runwithscissors stated, "you dont want to kill someone with your food lol"
But its different cooking for a party of friends you may know.compared to cooking for the public, especially with all the sue crazy people nowadays.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
Here's a link to a great smoking forum, some local folks on there may be able to answer your questions. There is a forum for catering.
There are mobile BBQ caterers in the area, I'm not in the business but I believe nothing trumps a positive mental attitude. Personally I would take the negativity of the last post as a challenge!

Smoking Meat Forums - Active Threads
Thanks bobsim, It has certainly been a challange. I had a smoker grill built that you pull behind the truck, paid $2500.00 for it, but should have done the research first. Im all about research now. There are alot of steps to take, the first one is starting over with the grill. ONLY Hotdogs and sausage dogs can be cooked on an open flame. My grill would need to be screened in, also with a vending section to cut and serve the food. You must have a food handleing license, inspected by the heath dept, and a place of commissary in order to be in business. I understand why and what is needed to be done, but I dont understand how you see it all the time, people on the side of the road with a grill, they must not be completely legal, and I want my business to be legal, and to follow all rules and regulations. Just didnt know if i was missing something, with all the ones I see out there.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
Man, I wish I had some info for you. Just want to say your thread got me to thinking of the days when you could pull off Hecksher Dr. and buy fresh smoked mullet from a vendor. Usually a pickup with a bed full of coolers and a trailer/smoker. Some fine eating there.
I wish you luck, I'm sure there's plenty of red tape and hoops in front of you.
LOL , I live in Macclenny, we have a little old lady that parks on a corner with her cooler full of smoked mullet. I need to stop and ask her how she does it. You dont see as many vendors on Hecksher drive anymore, or at the Jetties now that I think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or