U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM

227 posts, read 277,720 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to Jacksonville this fall. I'll be working near the port of Jacksonville off Talleyrand and don't want a long commute. I lived in New Orleans for many years and like living in an older neighborhood with sidewalks, parks, trees, pubs, cafes, galleries, people that say "Hello!" to each other, etc.

I'm an endurance athlete and need some decent places to run, cycle and get a kayak into the water on weekends. I run and walk with my dog everyday so a good neighborhood for running is important. One of my colleagues who has lived in Jacksonville for years recommended The Strand. Although it seems quite nice and close to the St John's River and the port I don't think I want to live in a high rise building.

Avondale, Riverside, San Marcos all seem to be good prospects and overall pretty affordable and don't seem like they would be a long commute to and from work. My housing needs are pretty simple. I'm single and have a dog so a two bed room bungalow or townhouse in a safe neighborhood would be ideal. I'll probably seek to lease with an option to purchase after a year. I'm in a good position to rent or purchase.

I'll be driving to Jacksonville in August for a house hunting trip. If anyone can give me some insight about the the quality of life of these neighborhoods, (e.g. crime, flooding, events, commercial development, taxes, insurance costs, etc.) I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 PM

6,999 posts, read 7,640,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
Avondale, Riverside, San Marco
youve got it!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:55 AM

48 posts, read 191,310 times
Any of thsoe three neighborhoods would suite your needs. I would really suggest checking all three of their commercial districts out when you are here to see which one has the most interest to you. As far as the look and feel, as well as parks and places to run, you will find that they are pretty much equal. A good site to check out is Metro Jacksonville | Covering Jacksonville FL, Northeast Florida, Jacksonville Transit, History, Neighborhoods. You can get a lot of information there, as well as photo tours of the different neighborhoods. Also the forum is very active and would be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:04 AM

22 posts, read 62,865 times
My wife and I lived in Avondale for a year and it was a really great place to be. The small downtown shops and eateries are actually heavily used and quite trendy.

The parks are great. I too am an exercise enthusiast and outside of the heat (unavoidable in Florida summers) the area was perfect for biking and running. You will be able to drop your Kayak in any number of entry ports along the river. Some might poo poo kayaking in the St. Johns but I really don't know why - it is quite wonderful.

We did not experience flooding issues even during the heaviest of rains.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,401,005 times
Irishcopper,

The Historic neighborhoods that surrond Downtown are what you are looking for, but it sounds like you already know this.

They inlcude those that you mentioned with 2 corrections: there's no 2nd "s" in San Marco & the Springfield neighborhood wasn't included. It's the most Historic neighborhood, founded in 1865, and the closest to Downtown (though all are very close). It in the 50's-90's it was neglected, as were may of the other Historic neigjborhoods, and became a very seedy, bad part of town.

Alot of work has been done on reinvitalizing / renovating the area in recent years and now it's not that way at all. Still rough around the edges and not "finished", this is where you can get the most for your money by far. It's very common to see a few gorgeous houses, next two a couple in the the middle of a renovation, next to a couple that haven't been renovated yet - a neighborhood in transition. There is a lot of emphasis and momentum for this as well, as new businesses are opening up, new construction houses (that look historic) are being built despite the current climate, the city is almost done renovating it's main business corridor, and there are a ton of neighborhood orgainizations (a very involved community). Plenty of dog walkers, walkers, sidewalks, joggers, shaded streets, parks, etc. It's ample parks will be having a major facelift in the next year as well, as a world-renowned park design team is in the process of coming up with plans (including a 5 or 10k running path).....though it does already have the city's only free dogpark (new & nice).

I could go on & on about Riverside, Avondale, & San Marco too....but it sounds like you've been well informed there and, in general, Springfield gets left out of these conversations many times due to it's past reputation....so i had to give you the 411! In my opinion, the nieghborhood is 10 years behind Riverside in terms of commercial success and complete neighborhood renovations, so it's a great place to get in on while it's not expensive or trendy yet.

Here's a bunch of info:

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - Walking San Marco Square: Photo Tour

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Touring San Marco

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - San Marco: A Walking Oasis in an Unwalkable City

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Boone Park

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Exploration: The Shoppes of Avondale

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Willowbranch Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Riverside Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - A Walk through Park & King

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Riverside Arts Market Opens

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Memorial Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Park & King Shopping District: Photo Tour

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Northbank Riverwalk

Riverside & Avondale, according to the City of Jacksonville: Riverside Avondale Historic District

Riverside & Avondale's prominant organization: www.riverside-avondale.com

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Springfield vs. Savannah: Can you tell the difference?

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - A Springfield Photo Tour

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Springfield's Dog Days in the Park

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Springfield Heritage Throwback Baseball: East vs West

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Confederate Park

Springfield: Metro Jacksonville - Jacksonville's Central Park?

Spirngfield: Three Layers Expands with Wine Bar and Zen Gardens | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville

General Description from Wikipedia: Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (a little out of date.....all the restaurants they listed are now gone, and others have opened)

Springfield according to the City of Jacksonville: Springfield Historic District

Springfield's prominant neighborhood organization: www.sparcouncil.org (there is a very helpful Forum available as well)

I can recommend a realtor that only works in the Historic neighborhoods and knows them very well. Her website is www.intownjacksonville.com

Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 AM

227 posts, read 277,720 times
This is all wonderful information. Thanks to you all! Maybe I'll see you in the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or