U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2009, 07:23 PM
 
63 posts, read 191,782 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

I think TM is Very overproced for what you get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2009, 07:25 PM
 
63 posts, read 191,782 times
Reputation: 26
I think they are very overpriced for what you get... I know people who bought with them in St. Johns Forrest and wish they had not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM
 
4 posts, read 14,116 times
Reputation: 12
I am living in Coastal Oaks for 2 years and absolutely love it!! Wouldn't live anywhere else - love the parks, pool, tennis, gym, tons of kids, just gorgeous in here! The downside is to ask sales about the HOA deposit fees when you want to do an improvement to your home. When I bought here there was no such fee. Recently the board aka TOLL passed that we homeowners need to pay $2,500 (which they will cash and put into their operating account) as a deposit in addition to an application fee. So not only do you have to pay your contractor - you also have to pay the HOA $2,500 and who knows when or if you get the money back - which makes small home improvement project unaffordable. This is a major issue for us that are looking into screen enclosures - and you need them here!! Most of us cannot afford to do the project and give Toll $2,500 for them to be the judge and jury... We are looking into getting them to stop this practice, but so far the HOA is not budging. Many of us here are very frustrated over this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 PM
 
530 posts, read 1,220,984 times
Reputation: 196
wow....what the hell is that about? I am likely signing a contract on Friday for a home in Coastal Oaks, and will be bringing that up for sure. I've never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else? That doesn't sound right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,852,666 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFish35 View Post
I am living in Coastal Oaks for 2 years and absolutely love it!! Wouldn't live anywhere else - love the parks, pool, tennis, gym, tons of kids, just gorgeous in here! The downside is to ask sales about the HOA deposit fees when you want to do an improvement to your home. When I bought here there was no such fee. Recently the board aka TOLL passed that we homeowners need to pay $2,500 (which they will cash and put into their operating account) as a deposit in addition to an application fee. So not only do you have to pay your contractor - you also have to pay the HOA $2,500 and who knows when or if you get the money back - which makes small home improvement project unaffordable. This is a major issue for us that are looking into screen enclosures - and you need them here!! Most of us cannot afford to do the project and give Toll $2,500 for them to be the judge and jury... We are looking into getting them to stop this practice, but so far the HOA is not budging. Many of us here are very frustrated over this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
wow....what the hell is that about? I am likely signing a contract on Friday for a home in Coastal Oaks, and will be bringing that up for sure. I've never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else? That doesn't sound right.
It almost doesn't sound legal, but that's an HOA for you. They can pretty much do whatever they want. Once you sign those papers, you've signed away much of your rights.

So what happens if you give Toll Bros the $2500 and they go bankrupt? You'll never see that money again. It went into their operating budget and they spent it. Gone.

I wish you guys the best. I hope you can convince Toll Bros to do away with this practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
 
530 posts, read 1,220,984 times
Reputation: 196
Toll will not be going bankrupt anytime soon. I have to say now that I have a little more info I am tending to think it may actually not be a bad idea. It is simply a way of making sure that the work is completed in the manor that the application stated it would be and that all clean up work is done as well. Then the money is refunded. It is a little heavy handed in a way, but having sat on a couple hoa boards in the past, I know how hard it can be to get some owners to cooperate. This is just a tool to make sure that the all the home owners are protected from having their neighbors leaving a project unfinished or messy and while most home owners wouldn't need big brother watching over them-some do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,852,666 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
Toll will not be going bankrupt anytime soon. I have to say now that I have a little more info I am tending to think it may actually not be a bad idea. It is simply a way of making sure that the work is completed in the manor that the application stated it would be and that all clean up work is done as well. Then the money is refunded. It is a little heavy handed in a way, but having sat on a couple hoa boards in the past, I know how hard it can be to get some owners to cooperate. This is just a tool to make sure that the all the home owners are protected from having their neighbors leaving a project unfinished or messy and while most home owners wouldn't need big brother watching over them-some do.
Then why not put the money in escrow? Why put it into their operating budget?

The whole point of the HOA to act as an enforcer of the rules. This is why your pay your HOA dues. Asking for additional funds seems like double-dipping to me. I'm just amazed at the lengths these builders will go to.

I know how it is though, 'take it or leave it'. If you want the house, you have to put up with the rules they make. Sounds like you love the house so that will make it worthwhile .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
 
4 posts, read 14,116 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
Toll will not be going bankrupt anytime soon. I have to say now that I have a little more info I am tending to think it may actually not be a bad idea. It is simply a way of making sure that the work is completed in the manor that the application stated it would be and that all clean up work is done as well. Then the money is refunded. It is a little heavy handed in a way, but having sat on a couple hoa boards in the past, I know how hard it can be to get some owners to cooperate. This is just a tool to make sure that the all the home owners are protected from having their neighbors leaving a project unfinished or messy and while most home owners wouldn't need big brother watching over them-some do.

it's a bad idea to give a hoa $2,500. Being that it is not in our covenants then they are wrong to force us to pay. Our contractor has insurance - I have insurance - why is toll judge and jury. What will we have to pay to fix sod - $2,500 for a $50 job!! This is wrong in so many ways! You don't live here, everyone takes care of their homes and is respectful of their neighbors.. If there was a problem then lets revisit, but until then don't let us regret moving here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
3,530 posts, read 7,401,005 times
Reputation: 903
For those of you who love the 'burbs - A detailed pictorial & progress updates of Nocatee:

Nocatee Development Slowed by Recession | Metro Jacksonville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
2,739 posts, read 4,888,646 times
Reputation: 744
Nocatee is freaking huge. I got lost in that area trying to cut from A1A to US1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top