U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 69,689 times

Advertisements

How is the town center progressing, I'm interested in the Del Webb Community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,399,915 times
as far as progressing, see post #19

Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM

118 posts, read 364,917 times
Welcome to the area! I'm glad you are happy with your decision. Sounds like you did your research and it is worth the time. For those coming to the area, it's a good idea to get some help sorting through your options in neighborhoods and get a feel for the area you are considering. Everyone has different needs and expectations and listing those pros and cons for the neighborhoods is important. Also, start out looking at broad area and then narrow it down to compare builders or resale properties. Nocatee is a great family friendly neighborhood with quality home builders. If you want to stay more towards Julington Creek, Durbin Crossing, St. Johns Forest, Aberdeen and Colony at Greenbriar are some good options. There are other communities along US 1 with amenities and without CDDs, then there are great communities out in WGV area. If building I also suggest doing a very detailed comparison of builder standard options and energy efficient construction because they can substancially differ.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 29,502 times
We are currently living in NJ and are considering relocating to the Nocatee area. We are trying to compare cost of living standards in Fl versus NJ because my husband will be able to transfer at his current salary. We also are thinking of schools & sports activities as we have two kids- one currently in kindergarden and the other in 5th grade. Can anyone help with some information? Potentially looking at the Toll Brothers development- are there HOA fees and what are the real estate taxes on new homes in that area? Which schools would our kids go to? How far are you actually from the beach? Is it a family friendly community? ANY and ALL feedback would be WONDERFUL!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 PM

19 posts, read 54,827 times
Cman64,

We just moved back to PA from the Nocatee area and I can tell you the cost of living is not really less. Food prices were more, utilities were comparable, re taxes are 1.45% plus some communities have CDD fees and HOA fees. I was actually surprised at the cost of living because people always say how much cheaper it is, but I did not find that to be true. Home improvement services, lawn care, bug care etc. was cheaper than up North. We were 13 minutes to Mickler's Landing, the local beach. The beach in Anastasia State park in ST. Augustine is much nicer though. Although the school district is the best in Florida, I was not that impressed (especially with the elementary school) which is one reason why we moved back to PA. People are also having a difficult time finding employment.

I did love the area though and would love to move back after the kids are finished with school. The people are friendly, the weather is great and the area is beautiful.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 17,795 times
Default Den to JAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhawk View Post
Hi Lisa,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new home! My family is currently researching a relo from Denver to JAX and are considering Nocatee. We too have 4 kids (7 year old boy and girl and 9 year old boy and girl). We have visited JAX twice, but never made it to Nocatee. Until recently, we had concentrated our research on Julington Creek.

Are there many kids in the neighborhood yet? What made you choose Coastal Oaks over Willow Cove? It appears on paper that Willow Cove is offering a lot larger house for the money -- is that accurate?

What schools are you districted for (nocatee website says Rawlings, but wondering if that is out of date)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Warmest Regards
Hello Bryhawk, I have seen some of your posts and am wondering if and where you decided to land in JAX. Like you our family now has the possibility of a job change to JAX from the Denver area (south suburbs). What do you think of it? Are you happy you moved? Any imput you can give is greatly appreciated. Our kids are 10 and 12. So we are looking at both elementary and middle schools. Thanks for your time. Warmest Regards.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,953 times
Hi there, thinking about moving to Coastal Oaks. We have three children 3,8,and 10. My husband is a little worried about re-sale and negative posts? Just curious if you still enjoying and if any problems with your house have occurred? Also, unfamiliar with the area....how far is it to the nearest beach? Thanks,Serena

Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 PM

530 posts, read 1,220,735 times
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here as I think your question was directed at my2boys44. Speaking for myself I absolutely love living here. There are a lot of kids in that age range, mine are 2,7,and 9. We are about 10-15 minutes from the beach, but west of the intercoastal which helps with insurance rates. Where are you moving from? Toll builds a good house. I have not had any major issues with mine. If you are considering a new build I would highly recommend hiring an inspector just to make sure that there are no problems down the road. That isn't a slight against Toll, I would just personally do so with any builder. I know the home next to ours is a resale as the original owner was transferred. Don't know what your price and size of home requirements are but there are a coupe of resales available due to the same employer doing some down sizing. The community is beautiful and the main amenities are already to open here in a couple weeks . Just got back from a bike ride through the trails down to the amenities center and they are already to go. Gym is stocked. Pools are all ready-it really is a top notch facility.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 PM

2,078 posts, read 3,149,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It almost doesn't sound legal, but that's an HOA for you. They can pretty much do whatever they want. Once you sign those papers, you've signed away much of your rights.

So what happens if you give Toll Bros the $2500 and they go bankrupt? You'll never see that money again. It went into their operating budget and they spent it. Gone.

I wish you guys the best. I hope you can convince Toll Bros to do away with this practice.

Let me tell you what Toll does to their subcontractors that build the houses. They hold retainage from their money equal to one house in each of the 4 subdivisions. They do not pay that retainage back until 1 year from the closing of the last house of each subdivision. They won't go broke for sure, because they are being funded by all of their subcontactors across the country. As slow as housing is, the subs might not get their full payment for 10 years or more...no one knows how long it will take to sell the whole community.

Let me tell you what else they do....they have their subcontractors sign contracts waiving their right to a lien, meaning that if Toll decides not to pay the subcontractor, he or she cannot lien the house to get paid for their job.

Let me tell you some more about Toll Brothers....they are a publicly traded company, which means they have to worry about share price to the shareholder first and foremost. What that means is when they bid out their work to subcontractors, they are required to use the lowest bid, which in most cases, results in getting a lower quality of workmanship. It doesn't matter that they might have a national deal to get some of the best materials on the market, if the guy putting it in is a hack, it won't matter in the long run.

In my opinion, Toll is the most arrogant and abusive builder in Jacksonville, and while their houses may look nice and pretty when they are new, so did a 1985 Monte Carlo. Like the Monte Carlo's of the 80's, the Toll Homes aren't built with integrity.

There are many builders to choose from that not only care about their customers, they build with quality subcontractors, and don't always go with the cheapest price they can get. If you want to live in a community and must choose a National or Regional builder, go with David Weekley (they are private and don't have shareholders to answer to), Pulte, Woodside, etc. or go with a local high quality builder like JL Linder, Generation Homes, Pineapple, Cogdill Builders or a whole list of smaller local builders.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM

2,078 posts, read 3,149,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtuna View Post
How is the town center progressing, I'm interested in the Del Webb Community?
Del Webb is an excellent builder. It is a division of Pulte in case you weren't aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville