U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 33,004 times

Advertisements

So DH is moving jobs and we need to move from Ohio to Jacksonville with no knowledge of Jacksonville. We found a house we might like in the Normandy Area 32205, Between Lenox Ave, Normandy Blvd, Cassat Ave.

The problem is they job isn't helping to move so we need to do it all on our dime. So the house would have to be under 50k.

Any info you can give on the area would be great. Between getting packed and running after our 2 year old I don't have alot of time to do extensive research....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:40 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,386,670 times
Lennox, Cassat, & Normandy intersect to create a small triangle with some housing in the middle. Is this the specific area you are talking about?

I haven't been to that small plot of land personally, but i've been all around it though. Cassat (running North & South) it the border of the Murray Hill neighborhood to the East. This is a pleasant, up & coming area with lots of smaller bungalows and a mix of new affluent homeowners, low-inocme people that have lived there a long time, and middle class families. It used to be white-trashish, but not really anymore. It has a couple nice parks as well, which would be the closest to you.

The other side of Cassat (where you are, if i'm correct), starts the "Westside" part of the city. It's a mixed bag. Cassat Ave is a commerical area with a lot of car dealerships, cheap restaurants, and such. A very blue-collar area with blue-collar type of businesses. Normandy Blvd ( runs East & West at that location) is similar.

Like I said, I haven't been to that specifc area inside the triangle of roads you named, but it appears to be a working class area with a blue-collar vibe. Homes here were usually built in the 1950's-70's, btw.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm looking in and around Kingsbury St closer to Lennox Ave. I've tried the rants and raves section of craigslist but just got alot of racial comments and people trying to push 250k homes at me.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Well, i think it'll be about that same.......just won't be as close to Murray Hill. A mix of blue-collar, people.......describe them anyways you want. You'' have a fair share of white-trash, redneck, & ghetto-types and but overwhelming or anything. It's a working class area and I wouldn't imagine there'd be any 250k homes in that area anyways, though i could be wrong i guess. It's relatively quiet in that area from what i know, certainly not a reash of shooting or drug dealers or anything like that. But general crime is an issue most areas, so it's not one of the safest areas around, but not unusually unsafe either.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 PM

238 posts, read 815,034 times
I don't want to be discouraging, but I can't imagine finding a house under $50K here. Although I know of a nice, clean ARC mobile home neighborhood (off of Beach Blvd just east of Southside) where you could get in there for a reasonable price. They sell and rent there. You could just plan to move in there and rent/buy for a really reasonable price in a nice area, and then take your time to get to know Jax better.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:44 PM

We can't afford the rent in most "good" places. I'm talked to others on other sites and for the most part I'm told it is horrible or okay. So I'm trying to figure out which it is.

According to the county site there wasn't much crime in the past 18 months there.

Burglary/robbery was 125
Assault was 40
Murder is 0
Sex Offenses is 0
Theft/Vehicle 159
Vandalism 40

Old 07-25-2009, 06:18 AM

what kind of rent can you afford?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 AM

Less than $500, but we hate renting we always get stuck with some horrible neighbor who lets their kids flood their apartment there by flooding our apartment, Or some horrible person screaming/fighting/or having violet sex next door keeping my kid awake. We want a house so we are not contected with our neighbor. Also we need to have a garage for storage.

The address we looked at had one murder and one sex assault in 9 years. That's better then the area we live in now in Ohio.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:12 PM

377 posts, read 1,578,685 times
Since you don't know anything about Jacksonville, I'd really recommend renting for a year until you know the area better. If you rent and find out you don't like the area, you can move after your lease is up... if you buy and find out you don't like the area, you're stuck trying to sell your house. Also, for $50k, you're probably getting a house that needs work, so you'll need extra money set aside for repairs. I don't know anything about that area of town, but why don't you see if you can rent a small house in that neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:16 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,975,953 times
Never ever buy in Florida (especially) without living here. EVERYTHING will be different than you think after living and exploring here for awhile. I lived here a year and bought and probably should have waited. (even though I love my condo it still isn't exactly what I wanted and I bought for the wrong reasons)....Never buy blind and never commit to a property you can get stuck with for many years. WHY? Rentals are cheap and you actually can rent a great property that you may not be able to buy so what's the rush. Find some nice rental that feels like luxury or whatever and start looking after you get relocated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville