U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 20,156 times

Advertisements

I just think your looking to much into the positives about jacksonville. Baymeadows in a decent area but trust me. You will hate it so much when you live here. Jax beach does get old, then you will explore other area's.

95% of the people in jacksonville hate it so much but most can't leave. Let me prepare you, all the people in jax-jax metro are completely different from what you're used to. It will be very hard for you to make friends, and they arent worth it. I've been all over jacksonville, southside, arlington, jax beach, riverside, san marco, even the ghetto's of the westside & northside. Just be careful, it's not what you think trust me.
I guess you will find out the hard way, BUT I do wish you the best of luck & I hope it works out for you. Some people like it here[idk why?]

Everyone knows everyone trust me, I am known all over jax. It's a good thing but also a bad thing as well.

Keep safe & welcome to duval county. LOL Enjoy your stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:18 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,344,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnianmane View Post
95% of the people in jacksonville hate it so much but most can't leave. Let me prepare you, all the people in jax-jax metro are completely different from what you're used to. It will be very hard for you to make friends, and they arent worth it. I've been all over jacksonville, southside, arlington, jax beach, riverside, san marco, even the ghetto's of the westside & northside. Just be careful, it's not what you think trust me.
I guess you will find out the hard way, BUT I do wish you the best of luck & I hope it works out for you. Some people like it here[idk why?]
95% of the people hate it but can't leave? I guess you are referring to Bosnia, certainly not Jacksonville. For your information we do not have police states in this country, anyone who wants to leave one city for another can do so freely. I can understand why you found it difficult to make friends, you sound like a very negative person consumed with hate, I would not want to be your friend either. There are reasons not to like Jax or any other place but in your case it may be YOU, not the city of Jax that is the problem.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 24,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I agree. Jax aint never gonna be your kinda town. You would not be happy here as long as you live for the club scene and highend shopping, both limited. Jax will never be another SD or SF or LA or NYC or Miami. There are people who would like it to be, but then again there is a helluva lot more people that are glad that it is not. Some in their 30s.
Not sure if this post was intended for me or for another poster, but I do not live for the club scene and high end shopping. I like to have options when I go out and when I shop, and I want to be able to meet people who I can stand relatively easily.....that's it. To me, Banana Republic, Whiteh House Black Market, and Home Goods are cornerstones of decent shopping options; I don't consider them "high end". Like I said earlier, I lived in Fort Myers for five years where there was at the time very few options as far as nightlife, but I enjoyed it because I was lucky enough to have a fabulous group of friends who made it more fun for me.

I also stated in an earlier post that I do not expect Jax to come close to Miami or NYC.......you just can't compare these cities; it's apples and oranges.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 AM
jdx

6 posts, read 9,423 times
Karla - Thanks for the tip! If I end up in North Neptune I was told it would probably be best to take Atlantic Blvd straight out to 9A. I'm sure I will try several routes.

Bosnianmane - yeah, I try to focus on the positives. It's a better way to live. You should try it sometime. Thanks anyway for the welcome. LOL?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decisions09 View Post
Not sure if this post was intended for me or for another poster, but I do not live for the club scene and high end shopping. I like to have options when I go out and when I shop, and I want to be able to meet people who I can stand relatively easily.....that's it. To me, Banana Republic, Whiteh House Black Market, and Home Goods are cornerstones of decent shopping options; I don't consider them "high end". .
No. You strike me as an intelligent person, realistic about Jax and whatever its limitations might be and you and I could probably have a reasonable conversation on that topic.

The tricky part of moving to Jax is where to meet people who you can stand relatively easily. The only suggestion I would offer is your "workplace". People of the same intellectual level tend to gravitate to the same work environment (not always).

As far as shopping, you and I are on the same page. Maybe with one exception. I do almost all of my shopping on line, except for perishables, so "high end", "low end", mid-range shopping - they are all academic to me. I research it, compare it, order it, no shipping sometimes, no sales tax, no gas bills running to stores and if it doesn't fit I return it.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 PM

12 posts, read 24,277 times
Quote:
No. You strike me as an intelligent person, realistic about Jax and whatever its limitations might be and you and I could probably have a reasonable conversation on that topic.

The tricky part of moving to Jax is where to meet people who you can stand relatively easily. The only suggestion I would offer is your "workplace". People of the same intellectual level tend to gravitate to the same work environment (not always).

As far as shopping, you and I are on the same page. Maybe with one exception. I do almost all of my shopping on line, except for perishables, so "high end", "low end", mid-range shopping - they are all academic to me. I research it, compare it, order it, no shipping sometimes, no sales tax, no gas bills running to stores and if it doesn't fit I return it.
Ah, ok. Good call on the online shopping. In fact, when I really think about it, I do the vast majority of my shopping online too. I do like to have some good brick and mortar choices because that is often where I see items I want, and then try to track them down for a better price, different color, etc., online. I also like to have the ability to run out to an Aldo's to grab a last-minute pair of shoes or whatever the case may be, but typically I do a lot of researching and purchasing online.

So yeah, the challenge will be finding fun, smart people who I can tolerate and vice versa. I was told that there is some type of a Young Professionals group in Jax....know anything about this?

Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 AM

7,472 posts, read 17,270,471 times
Perhaps due to our age (60-61), my personality, difference in interests and no kids.....we have found it as hard to make friends here as we did in North Carolina (Charlotte area) and Colorado (south of Denver)!
We have seen this "unfriendly" attitude everywhere, including a few churches we have attended (and those folks are suppose to be friendly)! We have had people say "Hi" to us, ONLY after we said "Hi" or "Goodmorning" first! I have always been a pretty friendly dude, but unfortunately some folks just don't like to be friendly to anyone they don't already know. Wife and I both know that I have a funny (at times sarcastic/arrogant) personality and we both like it......most of the time, that is!
In fact, even while out on the St. John's River on our boat, absolutely no one will wave "Hi" to us unless we wave and say "Hi" first!! Don't know what is wrong with some folks today, but way too many act darn scared to be friendly and get to know new people!
BUT, have to definitely say this........the people we have met at the two Jax Forum Pizza Party's that we attended were GREAT and VERY friendly!!
We like Jax more than we ever did living in NC, but we did like Colorado also (even the winters there for the first 3 years we were there). Then we got tired of all the snow/ice/cold weather!! Will take a Florida winter anytime over those eastern Colorado winters!
If people are into boating/fishing, like we are, Jax (and coastal Florida areas) are really cool places to live......plenty of water! Now, if we can only get more good paying job openings going in the area, more people (like myself/wife) we be TOTALLY happy!!

Last edited by LoveBoating; 08-10-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Perhaps due to our age (60-61), my personality, difference in interests and no kids.....we have found it as hard to make friends here as we did in North Carolina (Charlotte area) and Colorado (south of Denver)!
We have seen this "unfriendly" attitude everywhere, including a few churches we have attended (and those folks are suppose to be friendly)! We have had people say "Hi" to us, ONLY after we said "Hi" or "Goodmorning" first! I have always been a pretty friendly dude, but unfortunately some folks just don't like to be friendly to anyone they don't already know.
I don't know ... my experience here is exactly the opposite. I find that people here, generally speaking, are more approachable and friendlier than anywhere that I have lived, whether it be on the street, in the supermarket, in the mall, or wherever. More times than not it's the other stranger that says "hi" first. I don't remember ever smiling at an oncoming stranger that did not return the smile or say "hi".

Now of course there is a big difference between being friendly and becoming a friend but that is where it begins. I find that where it is easier to make friends is if you happen to live in a planned development because of all the social events organized for the community. This is also true because people who live in a planned community are in the same boat in a way and share the same concerns and interests and may have more to talk about.

The thing that puzzles me though is that if you own a boat, as you do, and are into boating in a big way it should be relatively easy to bond with other boaters. And if you are a real beer drinker, forget it! I know that well from my old Chriscraft days on the Long Island sound.

Last edited by cricketfan; 08-10-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM

7,472 posts, read 17,270,471 times
If you own a Performance boat, there is a club for that in the area. There is also a club for cabin cruiser (and larger cuddy cabin) people, which we are not! But, for people who own bow riders and smaller cuddy cabins
(us/20ft).....nothing! People launching and retrieving at the ramps don't even talk to others! They simply go on with what they are doing and that is it! If there are people around when we are launching/retrieving, I will say something to them about their boat or fishing and THEN AND ONLY THEN will they talk to us! Another thing we noticed very quickly, unlike my wife, most ladies here do NOT like to fish!! Have seen lots of guys on fishing boats, but no women!! I would NEVER go fishing without my wife! But, then again, she also loves to go to the Gun & Rifle Range with me......has her own rifle!
Gee, I must have just married the RIGHT woman!! As far as the "beer" thing goes, we do drink beer, but not THAT much anymore!
We really don't know where you live or what stores you go to that people are so friendly, except of course the people who work in the stores, but we sure haven't had this "friendly" type experience with folks. And, as stated in my last reply.......even in church they weren't friendly to strangers (us)!!

Quote:
I don't know ... my experience here is exactly the opposite. I find that people here, generally speaking, are more approachable and friendlier than anywhere that I have lived, whether it be on the street, in the supermarket, in the mall, or wherever. More times than not it's the other stranger that says "hi" first. I don't remember ever smiling at an oncoming stranger that did not return the smile or say "hi".

Now of course there is a big difference between being friendly and becoming a friend but that is where it begins. I find that where it is easier to make friends is if you happen to live in a planned development because of all the social events organized for the community. This is also true because people who live in a planned community are in the same boat in a way and share the same concerns and interests and may have more to talk about.

The thing that puzzles me though is that if you own a boat, as you do, and are into boating in a big way it should be relatively easy to bond with other boaters. And if you are a real beer drinker, forget it!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,852,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnianmane View Post

Everyone knows everyone trust me, I am known all over jax. It's a good thing but also a bad thing as well.
That's really true. Everyone does know everyone here. I'll hear a juicy piece of gossip and I'll swear my husband to secrecy before I'll tell him !

Six degrees of separation? Jax is more like four .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville