U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 24,225 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Jacksonville and I'm seriously considering making a move there.

I currently live in Tampa and really enjoy it (although it is a bit superficial for me at times). I'm from the suburbs of New York (not Long Island) and I lived in Lee County for five years. I am surprised I made it there as long as I did because I was living in a very small city (Fort Myers) with not much to do for fun. However I had great friends and they made the experience a lot better.

I love Florida and am open to making a change but I am not sure that Jacksonville would work for me. First of all, I'm relatively liberal (pro-gay marriage, to give you an example....). Second, I'm single, with no kids. I would love to meet a guy and settle down but I am not sure what the dating scene is like in Jacksonville. My impression is that as a single woman with no "baggage", I'd be in the minority in Jacksonville (my experience was similar in Tampa BTW). Is there a decent amount of single, professional men around my age in the area? I have read a lot of the threads on here but I am getting some really conflicting opinions and I just want the real deal.....As a woman with liberal views and attitudes, would I stick out in Jax? I'm not big into church either.

As far as things to do, I love going to new restaurants, nice, casual bars with friends, the beach, hanging out with my dogs. Does Jacksonville offer all of that?

I think this job might be a great opportunity for me, but I don't want to make this move unless this is a place that I can really be happy in. I've been told that Jacksonville is very conservative and "country" and I'm not sure I can deal with that. If any of you are familiar with Tampa vs. Jax, I'd love your thoughts.

I don't expect Jacksonville to be Miami or Boston....just wondering if there is room there for an intelligent female who likes sushi, wine, prefers dogs to kids, and who voted for Obama.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 AM

561 posts, read 1,858,528 times
I think it probably depends on your age. So many young people leave the area for college that there's a noticeable lack of people in their early 20s. If you're in your late 20s or 30s I wouldn't expect a problem.

As for politics, Jacksonville votes about 60% conservative 40% liberal. Many years the gap is narrower. So, obviously you can be liberal-leaning in Jax since we already have close to half a million in the metro area already.

However - if I'm being completely honest - the fact that you brought up politics about 4 times in a relatively short post gives me pause. If you need to be shielded and insulated from the conservative viewpoint to be comfortable, Jax is not for you.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
I think it probably depends on your age. So many young people leave the area for college that there's a noticeable lack of people in their early 20s. If you're in your late 20s or 30s I wouldn't expect a problem.

As for politics, Jacksonville votes about 60% conservative 40% liberal. Many years the gap is narrower. So, obviously you can be liberal-leaning in Jax since we already have close to half a million in the metro area already.

However - if I'm being completely honest - the fact that you brought up politics about 4 times in a relatively short post gives me pause. If you need to be shielded and insulated from the conservative viewpoint to be comfortable, Jax is not for you.
Hi, thanks for your response. I have no need to be shielded and insulated; after all, I lived in a pretty conservative city for five years and functioned just fine. However, I do find it easier to get along with and make friends with people who have similar viewpoints on certain things and I find that political affiliation is a barometer of those things.

My big concern is meeting new people (especially single ones!) and I'm just not sure how easy it would be to meet people I'd want to hang out with. When I moved to Ft Myers I had a built-in group of friends because I knew people there, but in Jax I won't have that.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:08 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,932,293 times
I would say, no. Based on your two posts. You're not that far why not come here and check it out? That's what I did from Vero Beach.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,212,989 times
I think you would like it here. It has many of the same qualities that you like about FL, but I haven't heard anyone call it superficial, so that would be a plus for you. Jax is very friendly.

While really conservative, Ft. Myers has to be more so. You will find all kinds of people here. You will be in the minority, but it's a growing minority. And when it comes down to it, how many close friends does it take to make a good place to live? A couple dozen like-minded friends and groups like DWIN and ya got a network! Home

Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM

7,470 posts, read 17,197,967 times
I'm 60 yrs old, BUT if I was your age, single w/no kids I doubt very much that I would chose Jax to move to......job opportunity or not (wife/61 agrees with me). There is a "nightlife" in Jax, but not nearly like some other cities. Jax is a fairly "sleepy town" at night and aims more towards families.
Good Luck

Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,376,979 times
It may be sleepy for those in their 60's, not for young people though (ha). There are plenty of professional guys in their 30's here. That won't be an issue. Just don't live in one of the white-trash/redneck/ghetto areas and you'll be fine.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,212,989 times
Riverside, San Marco, the beaches. I doubt that a 34 YO wants to slam back shots at 3am. There really are some great places to go at night in Jax. And many groups in which to become involved. We have everything, really, just a bit micro as compared to some areas.

If the job opportunity is good, there is no way I would not consider Jax.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,333,164 times
I personally have made quite a few friends here and with few exceptions I have yet to know their political affiliations. The reason is that the interests that we share, the things that we do together, and the life topics that we talk about tend to transcend political debate. But that's me.

With regard to LoveBoating, I gotta tell ya, if I were the same age as the poster I would be putting job opportunity way above nightlife any day especially in these economic times. It's a question of priorities. Jax has nightlife, certainly not on the scale of Vegas or NY but there is some nightlife here nevertheless if you wanna find it.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I personally have made quite a few friends here and with few exceptions I have yet to know their political affiliations. The reason is that the interests that we share, the things that we do together, and the life topics that we talk about tend to transcend political debate. But that's me.
I'm the same way with most of my friends...politics isn't usually a hot topic for us. I even have a few friends whose political views differ pretty significantly from mine. I am just wondering if I will feel completely out of place in Jax.....however, as another poster suggested, I am definitely going up there to check it out next week. However I won't be able to spend the amount of time I think I'd really need to to get a vibe about the city, so am trying to get some research done in advance.

And no, I'm definitely not big on doing shots at 3 am .....well, not on a regular basis anyway! But I do want there to be more than four bars to choose from, and when I do go out, I want to feel comfortable and hopefully in the company of other people my own age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville