U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,167 times

Advertisements

I understand that all of Jacksonville is all upset about having to pay this new "FEE". I have lived at the Beach for the past 23 years and have had to pay a "storm water utility fee" of $5.00 a month. So for 23 years that is $1380.00. And do you know what my money is going to? To water the fairways and putting greens at Jacksonville Beach Golf Course. It is your first time for paying this charge in Jacksonville RIGHT? Your fee will at least being going to something constructive like your sewer systems, and drainage problems RIGHT? There are 30,000 people that live at the Beach and all of us have been paying "The storm water fee" for a lot longer then you have RIGHT? We have also been paying for our garbage for the last 23 years. So Jacksonville resident get off your high horse and quit crying about having to pay this new fee!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,401,005 times
The reason the fee was introduced in the first place is b/c a few years ago the mileage rate was cut.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM

533 posts, read 1,307,377 times
Just because you have certain payments at the Beach doesnt mean we should have to pay the same fees. Even though it doesnt bother me *****. Dont expect people to running to get there check books out everytime the city has its hands open. Who said that the people in Jax was on a high horse, I thought that was reserved the you beach people.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,852,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The reason the fee was introduced in the first place is b/c a few years ago the mileage rate was cut.
Exactly. Next we'll get a garbage fee, a recycling fee...the city will find ways to bring in more revenue.

I highly recommend that everyone look closely at their bill too. They slapped this bill together quickly and my bills were completely wrong. I owned more than 1 property when this bill came into play and the bill was wrong on every count and I had to request corrections.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM

392 posts, read 1,349,000 times
If the city council does not pass the millage increase tonight, then there may not be anymore recycling. We can then throw those blue recycling bins away.

A storm water fee can seem like a waste of money, unless it's your street or pond that floods due to clogged drains or clogged sewers. My street does not flood right now, but several surrounding streets do flood, and it seems like the flooding area has been slowly spreading. I'm afraid that eventually it will spread to my street.

Jacksonville's huge sprawling size means the JEA has a huge sprawling system to take care of. It would not surprise me if the stormwater fee is not enough to make ends meet. All things deteriorate over time, and most of Jacksonville is relatively new, so there is no telling how high the cost will go to keep it all working well as it ages.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 AM

2,455 posts, read 5,498,069 times
I chuckled at a radio commercial I heard yesterday. I can't quote it word for word, but it was something along the lines of how Mayor Peyton has increased gov't spending by $100mil. I always take these things with a grain of salt. Does anyone know how much growth has occurred in our city in recent years, i.e. new construction, increase in population, etc? And, is it even remotely possible that if your city grows like ours has, that more money is gonna have to be spent by gov't to provide or improve services to meet the increased demand?

I'm not trying to start a debate over what's a legitimate gov't service, etc, so please don't misinterpret. There are certainly a lot of services that could be farmed to the private sector. But, the fact of the matter is this: as a city grows, so does the need for more public/gov't services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville