U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 PM

12 posts, read 39,206 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Amelia Island with a 7 YO, 3YO and 1 YO and we have are coming from a place with lots of kids activities. Huge zoo, science center, over the top playgrounds alll over the place ...... lots and lots of kids places.

My wife is hesitant as she thinks it lacks childrens activities / venues.

any info on places to go with kids in Jacksonville area?????

Thanks

MDH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 PM

57 posts, read 129,910 times
There are a lot of things for kids to do in Jax. We have a zoo while it is not a huge zoo it is fairly nice. There are parks all over the city. Jacksonville is a very large city. The largest city by land mass in the united states. www.jax4kids.com is a great website that will show you things to do in different areas of the city. Plus you are near the beach which is always a fun thing to do with the kids.

Also to answer some of your questions from your other post. I am in the same boat as you. I am from the south and married a Jewish lady. We don't seem to have any issues with that. I don't live in Amelia island so I cant say for sure about that area.

Also this is my wife's account, but we both surf and post on here.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 AM

4,432 posts, read 13,069,926 times
There are tons of things for kids here. Since the zoo has been brought up, I can say more about that -- we were there for most of all the day on Sunday and had a great time. It's very affordable (especially with a family membership or on days when the forecast is for temps 92+ and admission is 50% off with a coupon). The zoo caters to children (and to the young at heart) with everything from feeding stingrays and giraffes to playing in the mazes and small splash park to taking a train ride around the zoo to getting up-close-and-personal with animals found across the world as well as here in Florida.

I can't personally comment on MOSH (Museum of Science and History) because I haven't been there (yet), but I hear great things about it. Not the largest museum, but lots to see and do and they frequently have different activities planned.

MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) downtown has some great exhibits, and the Jacksonville Library is next door. Both have activities for kids.

The national parks, state parks, and county/city parks are wonderful for planned or unplanned visits. Nature abounds here.

We have Ollie Koalas and Chuck E Cheese if those are activities on your agenda, as well as ice skating, roller skating, and bowling. Adventure Landing is near Jacksonville Beach.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,888,646 times
I'm moving with a 3yo and she loves a zoo. we don't have one here in Charlotte, but when we go back home to Memphis, that is the first place she wants to run off to.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 AM

589 posts, read 1,501,268 times
(I have 3 kids - twins who will be 9 on the 9th of August and a 5.5 yo -- all girls. We've lived here since November 2006.)

Our libraries in Jacksonville have lots of great programming for children. It depends on your local branch as to how often the events occur. See the Jacksonville Public Library website.

MOSH is fun! Your 7 year old will love it. Your 3 your old will enjoy the exhibits. Your 1 year old will enjoy the stroller and looking at all the people. The MOSH website will give you information on upcoming exhibits and events. It is a smaller venue than the one we had in Hawai`i and definitely than the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, PA near where I grew up. However, they do change out the exhibits and have a science theater and planetarium. It's more than some cities have!

There are some great parks in and around Jacksonville. There are not "over the top" parks everywhere but there are some here and there. This will show you some of the different parks on a search of the city website.

There are also a lot of Meetups in the area. Almost any topic or activity has a Meetup! There are many "Mommy groups" too. Check out Meetup.com to find things your family may enjoy! I've found this a great way to get plugged in and build a network.

There are plenty of things to do here. Sometimes you just have to look. Jax4Kids.com, as previously mentioned, is a great resource. There is a calendar thread on this forum too which has links to event calendars.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,401,005 times
There are tons of kids things in Jax. It's a very "family friendly" city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or