U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM

12 posts, read 39,203 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Fernandina. I took a trip to look at real estate last week and really liked it. I am a southerner so i fit right in but my wife and daughters are Jewish and I am wondering if they are going to face much antisocial behavior there?????

Any input would be valuable.

Thanks

MDH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 AM

13,387 posts, read 41,678,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hosto View Post
I am considering moving to Fernandina. I took a trip to look at real estate last week and really liked it. I am a southerner so i fit right in but my wife and daughters are Jewish and I am wondering if they are going to face much antisocial behavior there?????
No. I have never seen any overt antisocial behavior.
There no formal synagogue, but there is a Jewish community here. They do gather. You'll see notices in the local paper.
Even seders can be found at Passover.
And Publix has matzoh, gefilte fish etc.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM

561 posts, read 1,863,793 times
Not a huge community in Amelia.

The Mandarin neighborhood has by far the largest number in the Jax region (several synagogues and a big Jewish Center) probably followed by Ponte Vedra Beach.

Both neighborhoods are approximately 1 hour away from Fernandina. Perhaps close enough for some occasional weekend activities.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM

13,387 posts, read 41,678,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Not a huge community in Amelia.
Very true.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM

12 posts, read 39,203 times
Smile just moved to Vilano

Just moved to Vilano Beach south of Ponte Vedra. We thought St Aug was the right place but wer are now loking closer at PV.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 PM

37 posts, read 73,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hosto View Post

Any input would be valuable.

Thanks

MDH

how did u come to your decision? I ask because when i read your post first I thought my fiance had written it lol We are in almost the same boat - my kids and I are Jewish and my fiance is southern baptist. We fell in love with the island and are relocating from Atlanta. I'm concerned also about the islands lack of a temple and am torn because the only other areas that seem to work would be ponte vedra ($$$ for tiny place compared to our current home) or the manderin/ julington creek area which seems sooooo far from the beach ( i mean why relocate to fl to be so far from it right?) and also seems lacking in any good restaurants etc. Just wondering how u picked vilano. We looked there and st Aug and vilano was cute but isolated from any shopping anyway so we figured no better than the island and St Aug well was just too ****** tonk built up around the beaches for us. The outside areas of St Aug similar to jul creek subdivisions were a consideration too but nothing really to fall in love with. Somewhere I saw that julington creek wasn't really providing the avenues of meeting people that someone moved there for either. So we are very torn. We figured if we can't be right by a beach best to move to a successful established planned subdivision where there would be activities and easy ways to meet people since i am a stay at home mom and the kids will need to make all new friends too. Any advice???

Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,724,130 times
Deleted.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,572 times
I'm moving to Fernadina next year. Trying find out if there is a small Jewish group there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville