U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 AM

576 posts, read 875,874 times

Advertisements

1700 sq. ft. home

Most recent electric bill: $493
Most recent water bill: $23.33

from June to July used: 3838 kwh, 11000 gal. water

We just replaced, yesterday as a matter of fact, our dinosaur of a central a/c unit. It was about 20 years old. We're hoping and praying that will make a difference in the astoundingly high electric bills we get. And you would think, by the above numbers that it was so cold in here, we could hang meat. Not the case. We kept it at about 76 during the day and 72/73 at night. And the above is what we experience month after month with our electric bills, summer.

We also have (which I'm sure isn't helping), a deep freezer in the garage. A refrigerator in the garage, as well as a 2nd refrigerator in the screen room. No we don't need "both" outdoor fridges, we need to unload one of them, at least. Inherited the 2nd one from a daughter who no longer needs it, nor has anywhere to put it. We DO need the deep freezer, and we do *occasionally* need the 1st extra fridge (we seem to be the household where everyone congregates for family dinner gatherings). So the extra fridge space, is essential at those times.

But the above, all *essentially* outside, in the elements, .......... having to work even harder than a fridge indoors in a climate controlled environment would have to.

Prior month, 3358 kwh, 19000 gal. water

June's electric bill: $423
June's water bill: $29

Here's hoping yesterday's new installation of an a/c unit will make a noticeable difference. And we are going to have to unload the 2nd fridge in the garage (the one we inherited from our daughter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 PM

17 posts, read 51,314 times
My bill for July was $524.20. My A/C is only set to 77, but my wife is home all day and we have 4 kids. They leave a lot of lights on, and love to run in and out of the house. Also, I don't have shade from my freshly planted tree on the South side of my home yet, so it doesn't protect from the afternoon heat. I live in Duval county, and they just hiked rates up again. Are there any other electric companies available in Duval that might be cheaper?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:13 PM

17 posts, read 51,314 times
Forgot to mention, 2,000 sq. ft. 4 bedroom home, old as dirt central A/C unit.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 AM

90 posts, read 191,611 times
My electric bill this month was @$220. I live in a 2nd floor condo, 1100 sq. ft. We keep the a/c set at 79 and have 3 ceiling fans that were on all the time. In my recent bill from ClayElectric, one of their tips for lowering elecric bills was to only have ceiling fans on if you were in the room. We're trying that this month to see if that helps.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM

276 posts, read 993,703 times
one more thing i am doing this month apart from pulling out appliances not in use is turning off the water heater.
dishwasher has its own heater so it will heat the water. let's see how this helps.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:43 AM

33 posts, read 123,634 times
JEA also has on peak and off peak charges. During on peak hours the charge is 10.509 cents per klw and off peak it is 3.218 cents per klw.

On peak hours are 6am -10am and 6pm -10pm Novemeber -March. And 12noon -9pm April - October. These are only weekdays, all weekends and hoildays are off peak.

I found this info out on JEA's site a few months ago and it has helped me out and I hope it can help everyone else out.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,434,511 times
Thanks graftenberg

Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 16,286 times
Man this is INSANE.

We were in a 3k sq foot house (2 adults and 1 child) and our electric ran about $500 a month. We just moved into a new place, its a 1400 sq foot apartment and right now its just my wife and I (our son is down south with his grandma).
We just got our first full electric bill... $345! We have the AC set to 75, one TV that is rarely on, and 3 computers that are on all the time, most days they are the ONLY thing on as far as appliances in the apartment. We run the dishwasher every 3 or 4 days and we do 2 loads of laundry a week.
I just can't figure why the bill is so high!
Is there some way I can get an assessment or something from JEA? Get someone to come out and check things out to see if something is causing this? Or do we have to seek an electrician?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM

576 posts, read 875,874 times
I posted back when this thread began that my electric bills were running over $400 and close to $500. 1700 sq. ft. home (3 occupants full time) and visiting family periodically (grown kids that seem to like to come back and hang out and visit some, live in town).

We replaced our dinosaur of an a/c unit back on 8/01. Keep it at 77/78 around the clock. We took out the fridge that used to house extra drinks in the screen room outside.

I just knew my bill was now going to go down to what some others are able to get $260 or so, something in that range.

Nope. Just got my bill and it was $391.

Yes that's down, from the prior $423, and the $491. But still...............

I agree, this is absolutely insane.

I was talking to my sil who lives in Chicago. Of course her electric bill wouldn't be nearly what mine is, it's not as hot up that way. But I asked her about the winter, when the house has to fight full force to keep that awful cold out. She has a gas system for her heat. And she said she's on some kind of budget plan for her gas, and so monthly it runs about $75 year-round. And the electric bill she says, rarely is it over $100 (she has a gas water heater, gas dryer, gas stove).

I just don't understand it. So my sil, has the same extremes in Chicago that I have here (only at differing times of year). She has to keep a house warm in some pretty rigid temps in the winter. So you would think that all-in-all, on the average, we'd all be paying, one way or the other, for the energy we consume to heat/cool our homes. But nope. And yes, her house is about the same sq. footage, maybe even more when you consider they have a heated/cooled basement.

I sure would like to know what the difference is here. I see others who are using kw hours way less than what I'm doing here. I used just over 3000 this month. That seems high, according to what I read here, that others kw use is. But my a/c stays on 77/78 around the clock. I maybe wash 3 or 4 loads of laundry (and dry them) on the weekends. I cook, daily, we don't go out much. Have a d/w, gets used every 2 or 3 days. I am a zealot about the lights being turned off, am called the light nazi in this household.

I just don't get it.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,286 times
I just read that JEA has Peak and off Peak KWH rates. Anyone know for sure and what the rates are? I can't seem to find them on my bill anywhere. I mean I can calculate what my rate is by dividing my KWH by the bill amount, but if there is a peak and off peak rate then I'm really only getting an average. My average seems to be 8.8 cents per kwh.

It looks like from what I can find on forums (though I can't find it on the JEA website) the peak hours for this time of year is 5-7am and noon-9pm Monday through Friday, Saturday and Sunday are both off peak. The off peak rate is 3.45 cents and the peak is 10.23 cents

So basically if you do your laundry, run your dishwasher, etc during off peak it will cost you less than half what it will cost during peak times. So if we start doing most everything during off peak times it could cut our electric bill nearly in half.

Of course confirmation on this would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville