U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM

276 posts, read 994,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
Ours runs a wee bit on the obscene side. Our last electric bill was $721 and the one before that was $645. I know this because the number was highlighted yellow and placed before me so I might ponder on it. :/
can't stop laughing....thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 AM

4 posts, read 16,300 times
Sounds right... at our old place we could count on an extra $150 per person when we had roomates staying with us. At one time, in a 5 bedroom house there were my wife and I and two other couples... our bill got up to about $900 in August that summer. Course we were splitting the bill 6 ways so it didn't SEEM that bad...

But I would have thought in this little apartment, we would have a bill somewhere in the neighborhood of $150...

We have been trying to meet the peek hours that we saw just to see if it will bring the bill down.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 AM

150 posts, read 527,524 times
Looking at the rate schedules online, I'm not really sure that doing the peak/non-peak hours thing would lower most people's bills. It looks like it might actually increase your bill significantly unless you are really diligent in monitoring your usage times. It kind of reads like you have a have a different kind of meter installed as well and I wonder if the customer who elects the option would have to help defray the cost of installation.

When I moved from my apartment (probably built in the 70's, about 700 sq. ft.) to my house (1850 sq. ft. built in 2001), my electricity usage went down and I was shocked. I think it just goes to show how much of a $$$-waster poor insulation and drafty doors and windows are. With some of the extreme bills you guys have mentioned, I wonder if anyone has considered the free energy audit that JEA will do.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM

90 posts, read 228,306 times
I lived in a studio but had two AC units. It was hot (I lived in Riverside) and my bill was 75 bucks. That is enormous. I couldn't believe it.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM

301 posts, read 980,771 times
My husband and I were just having this conversation today. Our JEA bill is out of control and I just dont get it. In the last 4 billings, the total amt has been between 430.00-475.00 every month. This includes water, irrigation system, and sewer also. Our electric alone has been around 375.00 of that. We live in a new house, built in 2008, 2300 sq ft, we keep the air at 77... We do have a pool so we have pool pumps running during certain times.

Looking at our bill this time last year, the total bill was only 260.00. I just dont understand the jump in usage. Our habits have typically stayed the same, but a 475.00 JEA bill is out of control. Anyway...just venting.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 16,300 times
We couldnt get anyone at JEA to understand what we are wanting with the peak/nonpeak billing. But just for an experiment we have been sticking with it anyway.

We do all of our laundry after 9pm, take showers later at night, dishwasher runs dont happen until after 9. We also only turn our AC down at night so we can at least sleep in comfort.

The rest of the time we have been crazy stringent on keeping lights off when not in a room and we've been keeping our AC at around 78 during the day (which makes it very warm in the apartment, particularly in the computer room) but we live with it.

Our bill only dropped by $40 from last month where we had the AC at 70 all the time and were nonchalant about turning lights off. Plus it has been a bit cooler outside this month than it was last month so that plays into it.

I just don't get it.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM

12 posts, read 18,656 times
I live in the southside area in a 1 bedroom 3rd floor apartment (950 sq ft). My bill was $90.87 last month. Sewer, trash, and water is a flat fee of $20 a month. But I really try to use as little energy as possible. The ac keeps the place at 78 and I will turn it up if i leave for a long time. I also keep the blinds closed to keep the place cooler. I take advantage of the natural light vs. using the overheads. Candles come in handy and also set the mood...hehehe. Its very soothing while taking a shower...especailly in the morning when you hate light. Try it, gets your day off to a calm start.

Fans are also a great investment. I have 2 20 inch fans I got from walmart for $20 each and they are awesome. Makes the room feel a lot cooler.

Im sure these apartments are probably insulated like crap so the ac can only do so much.

I only do laundry once a week since its just me. I don't use the dishwasher cuz I can clean the dishes a lot quicker. It just seems like another step that isn't needed.

Stuff your freezer as full as you can get it so it dosen't need to run as much. THe frozen foods will keep it colder longer.

I'm gettting better at the conservation so hopefully this month I can get it into the $80 range.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM

17,835 posts, read 30,444,457 times
tkmww
Thanks those are some great tips !!

Woo hoo our JEA bill was $20 less this month.
I am really looking forward to the cooler fall temps so it goes even lower !!!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 PM

27 posts, read 49,194 times
Hi everyone, we are moving to Jacksonville (Orange Park/Oakleaf) and are wondering what utility company will we use? I see references to JEA, FPL, Clay...? any ideas? will I be able to call the company to get a useage/cost history on the power used previously @ the home? thanks for any info!!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,444,457 times
woo hoo doing the happy dance the electric bill was $51 less this month used the heat twice and the A/C 3 or 4 times

Anyone else see a big decrease this month ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville