U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 PM

433 posts, read 1,189,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
Our high bill is from high ceilings and large western sun windows. I read in this mornings paper that builders will be more concerned with building houses more energy efficient unlike in the 80's where big is better. There's really no need for air conditioning so much dead space, such a waste. I wanted the house very light with tons of windows but with the Florida heat there is really no reason for overkill in the window department. I also would skip having so many transoms. They're not covered so the morning sun is shining on in! I'm waiting for my oak trees to help out. Hope I live to see the shade. lol.
Oh that will do it. The back of our house faces east thank goodness!!! However that is where my bedroom is and well it gets heated up fast. It seems to hold the heat with our larger windows. I got insulated curtains and between that, the blinds and tinting it helped.

BUT I suspect it's the kids playing video games, the tv's and such keeping my bill higher. I bet it goes down once those boys go to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904jax View Post
Our JEA bill ran $235 this month in a 1750 sq. foot house with my wife at home.

Here are the steps we took to reduce energy consumption by 25%:

1) Tinted windows subject to direct sunlight.
2) Replaced the majority of light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs.
3) Regularly replace our HVAC air filter.
4) Installed low flow shower heads.
5) Set AC at 81 during the day and 78 at night.
good point about the hvac filter. we have a 3 month filter, but replaced it at 2 months because of how much it was getting used. I'd like to replace the shower heads regardless. Low flow. reminds me of the old seinfeld episode.....anyone see it??? Good point. We have CFL's in place in most lights. When the next regular bulb dies I'll replace it with CFL....anything helps right??

Old 07-29-2010, 03:37 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,722,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
Our high bill is from high ceilings and large western sun windows. I read in this mornings paper that builders will be more concerned with building houses more energy efficient unlike in the 80's where big is better. There's really no need for air conditioning so much dead space, such a waste. I wanted the house very light with tons of windows but with the Florida heat there is really no reason for overkill in the window department. I also would skip having so many transoms. They're not covered so the morning sun is shining on in! I'm waiting for my oak trees to help out. Hope I live to see the shade. lol.
Look at some window coverings for the windows/transoms you mentioned. Might help. Robyn

P.S. Hope those oak trees aren't too close to your house. And that if they're somewhat close - they're a variety that doesn't get huge. Otherwise - you'll wind up spending a ton on pruning to keep them from being a danger to your house. Also - oak trees tend to look for whatever water they can find. They can really mess up your sewer pipe and irrigation system if they're not sealed tight as drums.

Last edited by Robyn55; 07-29-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
good point about the hvac filter. we have a 3 month filter, but replaced it at 2 months because of how much it was getting used. I'd like to replace the shower heads regardless. Low flow. reminds me of the old seinfeld episode.....anyone see it??? Good point. We have CFL's in place in most lights. When the next regular bulb dies I'll replace it with CFL....anything helps right??
Don't know how old your house is. But you might save more water with newer low capacity toilets (even the 1.6 gallon somewhat older ones we have work pretty well - they were required by law when we built). I'm not a big fan of low flow showerheads. All they do is make my showers twice as long. FWIW - about 80% of our water/sewage use bill comes from irrigation. So - during a long hot dry July like we've had - doesn't much matter what we do inside if we don't want to wind up with a lot of dead landscaping (still - because of 2 day a week watering - we have more dead stuff in the yard than I want to see).

Remind me about the Seinfeld episode (I've seen them all but don't remember all). Robyn

P.S. Don't like CFLs. The quality of light is terrible - they don't work on dimmers - and they're toxic waste - mercury - you can't throw in the trash - have to take them to the toxic waste disposal place! I really don't need hardly anything - so I think that perhaps for a birthday present - I'll buy myself some of those new-fangled LEDs. Hope they're cheaper by the time my birthday rolls around.

Last edited by Robyn55; 07-29-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
LOL that made me laugh.

Well after reading these I don't feel so bad about my bill. We're in Clay county, 1800sq ft. house and my last bill was 220? something like that. I have the a/c set at 76. It keeps it good except when it's ridiculous outside like those few weeks where it was hot hot hot.

my friend says ceiling fans are tacky. I think they are a blessing!
There are actually some very zippy looking ceiling fans out there. Don't think anyone could call this tacky:

Velo Ceiling Fan by Modern Fan Company at Lumens.com

There are also elegant ceiling fans out there for people who prefer more traditional design. Robyn

Old 07-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There are actually some very zippy looking ceiling fans out there. Don't think anyone could call this tacky:

Velo Ceiling Fan by Modern Fan Company at Lumens.com

There are also elegant ceiling fans out there for people who prefer more traditional design. Robyn
I love that look. My husband doesn't. Our fan is pretty traditional, but not ugly IMO. I love the darker colors of it....no tacky shiny gold! LOL

Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Don't know how old your house is. But you might save more water with newer low capacity toilets (even the 1.6 gallon somewhat older ones we have work pretty well - they were required by law when we built). I'm not a big fan of low flow showerheads. All they do is make my showers twice as long. FWIW - about 80% of our water/sewage use bill comes from irrigation. So - during a long hot dry July like we've had - doesn't much matter what we do inside if we don't want to wind up with a lot of dead landscaping (still - because of 2 day a week watering - we have more dead stuff in the yard than I want to see).

Remind me about the Seinfeld episode (I've seen them all but don't remember all). Robyn

P.S. Don't like CFLs. The quality of light is terrible - they don't work on dimmers - and they're toxic waste - mercury - you can't throw in the trash - have to take them to the toxic waste disposal place! I really don't need hardly anything - so I think that perhaps for a birthday present - I'll buy myself some of those new-fangled LEDs. Hope they're cheaper by the time my birthday rolls around.

our house is brand new. I just don't think our bedroom is insulated very well.

low flow showers aren't happening here....

I would have to look at the toilets.

We have the reclaimed water for irrigation so that portion of our water bill isn't bad at all. I think our yard looks nice. Our water bill hasn't changed much since we moved here.

I went through a bunch of CFL's before we found one that gave off light we liked. can't remember the brand, but I do like the LED lights too!!

Seinfeld: the apartment manager installed low flow showerheads in their building. Kramer and Jerry had the WORST hair because it wouldn't rinse properly and then they had to buy regular showerheads on the street to install. typical humor, but funny.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I love that look. My husband doesn't. Our fan is pretty traditional, but not ugly IMO. I love the darker colors of it....no tacky shiny gold! LOL
When you redecorate - tell your husband it's your turn . Robyn

Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 PM

621 posts, read 1,489,817 times
Ours was $440 last month!!! Granted, we've had company so we've had to turn our upstairs AC cooler for a good length of time. The upstairs, which is typically just a guest room/music studio for my SO, has been getting a lot more use the last few weeks, soooo the air has been running a lot more! Still, considering we have 3400 sq feet to cool, and we have 3 giant computers and a server running in our home. (we work from home when we're not in the office.. basically we always work!) So it's not so bad considering. The previous month it was in the $300s.

When we lived in Coral Springs (down South) our bill was the same amount ($400s) for a house half this size. It wasn't that well built, IMO. It was built in 1987 whereas this one was built in 1999. We had the same computers and whatnot running out of that house as well, so.. I'm okay with the high bills for a few months, considering it'll be a lot cooler for a lot longer up here! Love it here!

Old 06-10-2017, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 368 times
1450 sq foot home in Jacksonville (32246)

$342.12

Electric:$188
Water: $154

2 person household. No kids.

And this bill is on the low end for us. Have asked JEA to come out twice. Found a leak in the sprinkler system and said we should see a dramatic decrease. LOL. Cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville