U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM

604 posts, read 4,367,864 times

Advertisements

I had an energy audit years ago and was told that an old fridge in the garage could cost $40/month to run. We have one too just for adult beverage so I try to keep it full with gallon jugs of water (hurricane supplies) to minimize electricity usage. Our garage is a heat tank and is 110* in summer. We've talked about putting in insulation above (which has none) and on the doors themselves. It's too hot now and we always put it off in the summer. We have awnings on the back of the home and I also want to tint the south side too.

We have wood blinds and drapes closed during the day and I raise the temp 2* when hubby isn't home. Newer home about 2400 sqft costs me about $100-$225 depending on the month.

If it is an older home cracks can let out alot of air...considering checking for those. I've seen them use smoking inscense sticks held close to window to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 AM

576 posts, read 880,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
nnyl
that's a big unit and the seer is in the good range (thats the same size we put in for 2100 sq ft

Have you tried turning the thermostat up a bit we have ours set at 79 , the bigger unit moves a lot more air combine that with the ceiling fans(which the JEA guy said only run $5 a month if left on constantly) and it is quite comfortable in here

Did the A/C guys check your vents and the trunks that go from the unit to make sure that there is enough airflow?

We found that blinds did ok But I really noticed a difference when I put up curtains that I close against the sun, it is weird that just closing them makes a difference.
When we had the JEA audit guy here he had this really cool temp gun it was amazing the difference in the temp of just the window, then with the blinds shut, then with the curtains closed.

The only other options I can think of would be to check to see what your insulation situation is in the attic make sure you have enough up there.
Also if your still having problems my contractor told us to look into attic fans they are installed right in the roof and when the temp in the attic reaches a certain temp they go on and suck the hot air from the attic.

We had attic insulation blown in a few years back.

Maybe eventually I can get some heavy insulated drapes hung up against the windows to shield even more heat from entering.

Interesting in calling JEA yesterday for the kw use. They will give you a read on what the prior day's 24 hour period of use was. For Tuesday, it was down to 71 kwh. It's come down some. Considerably. That was the first full 24 hour period that the outdoor (screen room) fridge had been unplugged and not in use at all. So now we only have on extra fridge in use, and it sits in the garage. That fridge that we unplugged and took out of use was old. Likely it's seals weren't the greatest. I would guess that it was working hard and fast, against the heat outdoors, and with seals that weren't so good. But to take our kw use and halve it, which is essentially what Tuesday's reading gave us. That's astounding.

Useage for yesterday, I just called them. They didn't get a read from midnight, which is typically what they do, but they said maybe they didn't get a signal or something, but the read as of this moment, for the useage from midnight Tuesday night, thru to Wednesday and into today, is 84 kwh.

So it has come down some. Hard to believe that the fridge would use that much more kw. But it's the only thing we've done differently over the last few days, and we've seen the use drop.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I had an energy audit years ago and was told that an old fridge in the garage could cost $40/month to run. We have one too just for adult beverage so I try to keep it full with gallon jugs of water (hurricane supplies) to minimize electricity usage. Our garage is a heat tank and is 110* in summer. We've talked about putting in insulation above (which has none) and on the doors themselves. It's too hot now and we always put it off in the summer. We have awnings on the back of the home and I also want to tint the south side too.

We have wood blinds and drapes closed during the day and I raise the temp 2* when hubby isn't home. Newer home about 2400 sqft costs me about $100-$225 depending on the month.

If it is an older home cracks can let out alot of air...considering checking for those. I've seen them use smoking inscense sticks held close to window to check.
That's something I never thought of trying to do, insulate the garage.

Wow. A $225 electric bill, and a 2400 sq. foot home. I'd say that's pretty darn good. Mine, at $493, and only 1700 sq. ft. No wonder we're searching for answers here.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM

2,455 posts, read 5,498,069 times
Be careful going through the effort of insulating your garage. If you have no means of regulating the temperature in that room, then the insulation could have ill effects. Ever turn off your AC for a few days during the summer? What happens inside your house? It gets hot. Reverse that during the winter. So, just because your garage may be insulated doesn't mean your temps will change. All it really does is slow down the temperature changes. It's still gonna get hot in there. And, at night, it'll take much longer to cool down, because you've trapped the heat inside with the insulation. (I had a good friend who did this, and this was their exact experience.)

Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,888,646 times
Another stupid question from me. How would filling your fridge with gallon jugs of water minimize electricity usage?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Another stupid question from me. How would filling your fridge with gallon jugs of water minimize electricity usage?

I'm not sure myself but it does seem that I've heard that a full fridge uses less energy than one that is empty. I think it has something to do with the more items you have in there chilled, they can sort of cool each other, radiate cool to each other, that sorta thing, something like that.

Not sure.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
I'm not sure myself but it does seem that I've heard that a full fridge uses less energy than one that is empty. I think it has something to do with the more items you have in there chilled, they can sort of cool each other, radiate cool to each other, that sorta thing, something like that.

Not sure.
Yeah, that's the idea. It works the same in your freezer, too.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM

17,835 posts, read 30,520,217 times
ok this may be a really weird idea
if it is a chest freezer would wrapping it like you do the water heater help keep the cold in
I know when it is really really hot in the garage my standing freezer seems to go on more

I don't think you could try this on a standing freezer because you have to be able to open the door and wrapping & unwrapping each time just won't happen

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Karla, I think it could help a little, but probably not enough to make much of a difference, on its own.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 PM

377 posts, read 1,581,930 times
Instead of calling JEA to get your reading, you can read it yourself whenever you like - it's usually on your outside wall. This way you can do some tests. Run everything normal for 2 hours and then read the meter to see how much kw you used in 2 hours. Now, disconnect something (like your outside refrig) and run everything else for the next 2 hours and then read the meter to see how much kw you used without the refrig. Subtract these 2 kw numbers and then divide it by 2 (since it was a 2 hour test). This is the amount of kw your refrig is using every hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville