U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 PM

688 posts, read 2,763,072 times

Advertisements

.....and what beaches should I not take my two little girls to? I assume you all get my meaning.....
Thanks in advance!
Oh yeah, are the bugs really big and many down there? I've heard that a couple times.....just wondering...
what about good schools, neighborhoods and crime? I asked a similar question before but I figured it's not bad to ask again?
Thanks a bunch!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:49 AM

8,200 posts, read 34,345,091 times
All the main Jax beaches are family friendly...what were your concerns?

There are a lot of bugs in Florida because there is a lot of life in Florida. All the warmth and moisture encourages growth on all levels. Someone once said to me that "life just bubbles up from the ground around here" and I think that's an apt description.

We have good schools and bad, good neighborhoods and bad. Everyone wants the best, but the best tends to cost. So for most people, they have to find a balance between what they can comfortably afford and what their top priorities are. Some people love the beach, some people love the woods. Some people thrive in density and diversity, some people are stressed out by it. There's no easy answer.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 PM

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I guess my concerns are that I don't want my kids to be experiencing beach behavior that you see in Daytona or South Beach during Spring Break....lol! The partying, dirty dancing bump n grind, etc. lol. know what I'm saying here? I'm just not familiar with the Beaches around Jax area and so I may want to live a little closer to whichever one people with children like to visit best. I trust the local parents' opinions!

Yeah, I don't have a high income, unfortunatley.....but that doesn't mean it couldn't change in the future! I am a very optimistic person! I mean, one of the reasons we're making a move is to search for better opportunities along with warmer weather and to be closer to Disney World! We just love that place! I'm actually quite excited about moving down south but I do like to get as much info as I can. Especially when it comes to my kids safety. So what would you suggest woud be an ideal neighborhood for someone like me who doesn't want to live in the city but who also cannot shell out the big bucks??? So far, I've heard Orange Park, Fruit Cove, and "Southside" and "Intracoastal West". Any thoughts?

I'm not too worried about the bugs. My little 6 year old freaks out completely at a little old ant though. My husband hates bugs. He's afraid of cockroaches because someone told him there a lots of big ones there and that they can get in your house even if you're the cleanest person in the world. And he's heard stuff about huge bees?? I don't know....just thought I'd get the lowdown on that as well....
Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:55 PM

You're welcome.

Yeah, the beach scene here is going to be more mellow that what you described. They have a lot of rules here on the beach. You can't even bring your dogs to some of the beaches and other ones only durinng certain hours, and you can't drive on the Jax beaches (that I know of anyway), you generally have to behave. Still, it is a public place, so you have to keep an eye out.

I have a friend who lives just a few blocks in from Jax Beach and she has 2 little girls and she brings them to the beach all the time. She's a very good mom and very careful about what she exposes her daughters to and she's comfortable being there with them.

Orange Park, Fruit Cove, Southside and Intracoastal West are all nice places. Southside and Intracoastal West would put you closer to the beach.

Fruit Cove is in St. John's County (St. Aug) and while it is on the "East" side of the Saint Johns River, geographically it's a little further west than Southside...you'll see what I mean if you look on a map - the land mass widens a bit there. It's very pretty there.

Orange Park is in Clay County. It's located "West" of the Saint Johns River, so it's the furthest out from the beach of the four you mentioned. You'd have to cross the river, then work your way out to the beach (technically you could drive North, through downtown, etc., but most people just drive across the bridge and then head to the beach from there). I think it used to be that Orange Park was less expensive than living in Jax, but things seem to have levelled out in real estate in the last few years and I don't think that holds true anymore.

Southside is in Duval County (Jax). It's where a lot of people live and work. There is a real mix of home styles and prices. It's a great place to live if you like to be "in the middle of it all". I like the Southside very much.

Intracoastal West is in Duval County. Southside and Intracoastal West are right next to each other...IW is closer to the beach. IW is a growing area. There's a mix of old housing (lots of 1960's, 70's and 80's) and brand new housing. There's a big mix of pricing here too. Just like Southside, you'd be "in the middle of it all" - shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. and just a few miles to the beach. IW basically places you at the halfway point between Downtown Jacksonville and the Ocean...slightly closer to the ocean. The housing is very fairly priced here, especially considering the proximity to the ocean.

Huge Bees? Maybe Bumblebees? I love bees - they're our pollinators! They are dying in alarming numbers right now and scientists can't figure out why...so maybe your husband is just hearing more about them lately? The best solutions in keeping the Florida bugs out of your house is to keep all your food wrapped up tight and keep the outside and the inside of your house dry (make sure plants don't grow up against your house, etc.).

If you and your husband are brave around the bugs, I bet the kids will follow suit (they won't know you're pretending !).

Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Wow, you have been such a great help! I really appreciate all the info you've given me. I feel more confident in my searching now! That's terrible about the bees! Thanks for the tid bit on keeping the bugs outta the house that will be a big help easing my hubbys mind...LOL! As for my little ones, well, they'll probably get used to it and get over it in no time! I just can't wait to come down there and look around! Thank you thank you again so much!
Take care!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:27 PM

You're welcome - best of luck!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM

301 posts, read 1,024,615 times
What price range home-wise are you trying to stay within and we can give suggestions?

As for the beaches, they are much different than S Florida. I agree with Riveree that they are all pretty much kid-friendly. When we go to the beach, we go to Micklers which is down in the Palm Valley area. It's very family friendly.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
What price range home-wise are you trying to stay within and we can give suggestions?

As for the beaches, they are much different than S Florida. I agree with Riveree that they are all pretty much kid-friendly. When we go to the beach, we go to Micklers which is down in the Palm Valley area. It's very family friendly.
that sounds good!
We are looking at no more than 200K if possible 150K but I know we may not find the space we need for that little so we guessing we'd be better off in the 200K area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville