U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,868,359 times

Advertisements

I'm moving into JCP in mid-September, hope that alison's experience is simply because of the weather. We also picked it because of the family feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 AM

77 posts, read 212,905 times
August is Nintendo weather. By the end of summer, lots of kids are bored with swimming. They're all inside enjoying A/C.

If you feel like swimming - the Rec Center has a Master's Swim Team that is open to non-residents. I am watching to see if this is a trend that will continue. Profitability of the Rec Center is a big concern. If it means more revenue, you will see more offerings to non-residents.

Also, there are 4 families very near me, inside the plantation and zoned for Julington Creek, who drove their kids for 3 years to Hickory Creek because of the popularity of the principal and his concept for the school. The opportunity to attend Hickory was a one time rezoning option to appease families who had already been rezoned 2 and 3 times.

BTW, it is not Shangra-la here. It is a very family centered community, but my take is that each family is an island. There is not a lot of reaching out. Now if you're Baptist, have a son that plays football, if your kid is in the gifted program - those are some established groups where people find connection.

Are you zoned for Fruit Cove Middle. If so, you will be integrated back into the larger community when your daughter gets to 6th. You got a great price on your home and that is a comfort. I wish you luck and lots of patience.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 AM

134 posts, read 219,613 times
Not to worry. I think JCP is exactly what has been advertised. It is very family friendly. The two ammenity centers are great. If you want action and people you got to the new one. If you want peace and quiet you go to the original one.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
Not to worry. I think JCP is exactly what has been advertised. It is very family friendly. The two ammenity centers are great. If you want action and people you got to the new one. If you want peace and quiet you go to the original one.
That is something I noticed during our scouting trips. We couldn't figure out why there was two pools literally down the road from one another. We figured it might be because there are so many people in JCP.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:10 PM

30 posts, read 97,294 times
Thanks for the encouragement, ChrisNY and ljfam. My daughter is 9 and in the 3rd grade. My son is 4, and will going to VPK. No, we did not know about the CDD either -- another surprise. I hear there are lots of upset people about that deal, and I don't understand why they can't change the high fee for JCP residents... I mean, we pay the HOA, so we ARE in the community, and I am willing to pay $1200/yr or something like that, but $2100? That is steep! Not OUR fault we are not in the CDD! I would be happy to sign a long-term contract to make it "fair" if that would help matters! Great positive thoughts grsPAFL, I hope you are right!

We are seeing signs of life, now that school has started. My daughter is meeting some kids at school... but I have to admit it is disheartening to have to stand there and put her on a bus while stashes of kids ride down the street on their bikes on the way to JCE! My kids do not currently play sports, but I would like to sign my son up for T-Ball in the Spring... ChrisNY, do you know about that?

fsquid, my husband is from Statesville, NC. Where in JCP are you moving, and how old are your kids?

Last edited by fakeblonde; 08-26-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 AM

Moving into Grovewood off of Flora Branch, I think. I have one daughter who is 3.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM

77 posts, read 212,905 times
Default Upward Basketball

Here's a suggestion - we've met lots of friendly people and their children at the Fruit Cove Baptist Church 'Upward Basketball (also cheerleading) Program.' Your kids are the right age to participate. Signups should start in a month or so. If you participate, you and your children WILL get connected to people in the Planation.
We were kind of shy about getting involved with a different faith, but I have to give the Baptists credit for a well organized program that involves the volunteer effort of a large part of their congregation.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 PM

134 posts, read 219,613 times
I have two boys, one 13 in Fruit Cove Middle and one 8 in Julington Creek Elementary. they both play Baseball in the Spring and this Fall will be their first Fall season. They also played Creeks Athletic Association Flag Football which they loved. I coach my 8 year old Baseball team over at Mills field.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Seems like Creeks Athletic Association is the main league around the JCP area.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM

30 posts, read 97,294 times
Good suggestion about Upwards basketball... unfortunately, we tried it last year, and neither of my kids were into it. However, a neighbor did invite my daughter to go to the Wed. night kids programs over at Fruit Cove Baptist, and that is probably a good idea! Also, I am thinking of signing her up for dance lessons at the school right around the corner... maybe that will help a little bit. I do want to do T-Ball in the spring, and that should help, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or