U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM

30 posts, read 97,584 times

Advertisements

We just moved to JCP. After we had a contract & paid for all our inspections, we were hit with a few nice surprises: the realtor's info was incorrect, and instead of Julington Creek Elementary, our daughter has to go all the way to 210 to Hickory Creek. Needless to say, I am not very happy. I have heard great things about Hickory, but don't like that is it so far. My daughter had some pretty serious emotional issues last school year...and I a concerned. I hear you can apply for a waiver to have the school changed. Does anyone have an opinion on this, and know how it works??? Some people have mentioned Hickory is a smaller school and the principal more attentive, so she may be better off there, even if it is far away...

The second unappealing surprise is that the house we bought is not in the CDD, meaning we can't use the JCP facilities unless we "join" as outsiders and pay $2100/year! I think this is ridiculous. I thought we could just opt in. I think it is terribly unfair that we are penalized to this extent because of what the original owners chose to do. I was wondering if there are others out there in the same boat and if it is possible to appeal to the board (or whoever) to lower this fee for those of us who actually live in JCP and pay the homeowner's association here!!! Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM

134 posts, read 220,743 times
1st off let me tell you you are not alone with a Realtor not giving you correct info. We moved to JCP last year right when school started and our Realtor was quick to point out the nice looking School Bus stops with bike stands only for us to find out after we bought the house that the bus doesn't come to those nice bus stops since we are within a certain distance of the school. So we either drive our 3rd grader to school which could take a 1/2 hour or ride bikes in the lovely weather. The afternoon pick up is crazy it can take an hour sometimes.
About Hickory Creek, I heard the school is great and I think you are right if the school is smaller it will be better managed.
The CDD and Association thing sounds a bit crazy also. is this something your realtor alerted you about or another surprise?
Where did you move from?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,888,646 times
I am closing on a house in JCP this month. The owners have signed things that say we are in the CCD though, so we should be good to go. Sorry to hear about your deal.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 PM

310 posts, read 791,507 times
About the schools, we have lived here since 2001 and I can assure you that every single elementary school here is excellent. Many of the teachers have taught at each of the schools, as well as staff mixing it up. Although it's a little more of a distance for you it's a shame the realtor got their information wrong. Don't expect to be able to change zoning, either--that is a very hot issue here and it's extremely RARE for anyone to be granted a waiver.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 AM

87 posts, read 326,458 times
Hi I am looking at Julington Creek Area...looks great. I am wondering though...my husband and I are in our late 40's with two children ages 13 and 8...would we be fishes out of water? Is this a community more for young familes? Would love your input. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 AM

43 posts, read 125,181 times
I live right beside JCP in Cunninhgham Estates and love it here. There is a wide variety of ages in this neighborhood. There are young families to empty nesters. We chose this nh because on no HOA and CDD fees. Plus the lots are much larger. We have just over an acre. Lots of kids here. I have 3 boys ages 14 to 6 and they fit right in! Good luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM

2,455 posts, read 5,498,069 times
Regarding the determination of assigned schools, it's always best to go directly to the source of the information: The School Board. I know that in Duval County, even the Property Appraiser's GeoMapping service "My Neighborhood" link was incorrect for school assignments. If you call the school board and give them the address, they'll tell you what school you're zoned for. I'm sorry you were given incorrect info by your real estate agent. One of the things I was taught was this: Don't always be "the source" for information. In many cases, it's better to be "the source of the source" for information. For example, "I could take a pretty good guess, based on what I've been told, but you're better off calling this county office to find out."

Anyway, slightly off-topic, but wanted to share this bit of info.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 PM

30 posts, read 97,584 times
Well, so far JCP is way over-rated. It may be "great" for some people, but buyer beware: it's not all it's cracked up to be if you are not very careful! For one, I would hardly qualify our neighbors as "friendly"... a major disappointment, since that is why we moved here. My kids haven't met any other kids, and we have hardly even seen any other kids, though I am told they are everywhere! (Do they come out when the sun goes down?) Plus with the school and CDD issues, there's really no benefit to being here; I don't feel part of the community. That's what we thought we were getting with a "planned community"-- a small town feel. HA. Hardly. I hear there is a "welcome wagon" that tells you about all the activities in the neighborhood, but have not seen or heard from them... On the positive side, there are some things I like: 1) grocery stores are nice and the people who work there are very friendly; 2) there's a less "uptight" feel here than in Jacksonville; 3) our house is conveniently located to San Jose, and an easy commute to shopping (Walmart, Target); 4) there are some pretty good little restaurants close by; 5) schools are supposed to be great -- we started at Hickory Creek today, so we will see... I still don't like the distance, but it could be worse. Oh, and I do like the house we got, which was under $200K and in immaculate condition (almost unheard of in JCP).

Old 08-25-2009, 05:22 AM

134 posts, read 220,743 times
Don't beat yourself up about the move. We came down from NY last year at this time last year and it was yucky hot and humid and no kids outside. The next day after we moved in we had at least 5 families from the hood come and welcome us with brownies and even a Publix chicken dinner. Where we were in NY my kids had no where to ride bikes and really no kids. Now we have a culdesac right around the corner and plenty of kids. We have found that in the summer whe it is hot it seems like a ghost town. And being from up north we have not found anything to keep the kids busy durring these times. How old are yours and do they play sports?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 AM

43 posts, read 125,181 times
I agree with ChrisNY. It may seem like there are no kids out but it is just too hot. Give it a few weeks to cool down and you will see them. How old is your daughter? She will make friends at school also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or