U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,434 times

Advertisements

Moving to bartram springs and just realized that my cell phone reception is really bad over there. I'm with tmobile currently and my contract runs for another year. Can I break the contract with them due to the bad coverage or am I just stuck with them till it expires??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:23 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,520,217 times
It depends on how much work you want to put into it

We switched from t moblie to AT&T they claimed to have the best coverage and we also got a discount because of my hubbys job
Well I did not get service in quite a few areas that I needed the service

they wanted to charge me the disconnect charge for 3 phones yeah right !!
I kept calling and asking to be transferred to someone higher up the "food chain" finally I got it to the point that they would not charge me for 2 phones. then my dear husband said the "magic words" "tell me again why did we switch" lol I said to save money he responded " and how did that work " So I went back to the phone and researched my way to tone of the corporate offices to get the final disconnect fee credited back

We are now with verizon and I get service everywhere, even inside some of the older buildings downtown

So it can be done but you have to weigh your time & aggravation vs the disconnect fee ?

I myself enjoy "negotiating" process in anything, car shopping, getting credit cards to reduce your interest etc but I know it is not for everyone

Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 AM

90 posts, read 192,151 times
In my experience, you are stuck with them until the contract is over unless you want to pay the early termination fee which can be around $225-$350. You can look at your contract or call them to see what the exact amount is. Once you do that, try to figure out what provider you would like to go with. I use Verizon and have rarely, if ever, found a place that I don't have good reception. Go to a kiosk for the provider that you decide on (I have found they are more friendly and personable than the larger stores like in Verizon's case), tell them your situation and what your early termination fee is and see if they can do anything for you like start you up, but credit the amount of your early termination fee from the other company. In this day, everything is negotiable. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,976,143 times
Interesting about Verizon. I have a friend who has Verizon, and they cannot get reception when they are inside of their house. I have AT & T, and I get reception inside their house.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM

138 posts, read 355,551 times
About kiosks, I've never used one but have heard the story a couple of times of people signing agreements at them and if the contract is broken having two early termination fees to pay.. One to the carrier and one to the kiosk.
No first hand knowledge here, just a caution.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 PM

433 posts, read 1,190,101 times
we're kind of in this right now. we have at&t and get spotty reception at our house.....I can have the phone sitting on the couch next to me and it will go straight to voice mail. Plus husband and I have blackberries and end up getting GSM which means we can't use the blackberries as often as we would like.....it annoys me.

We're kind of battling them at the moment........they assured us when we switched to florida numbers that we'd have good service here....and I don't think we do. Not for the price we pay.

I think we'll switch to verizon very very soon.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 AM

754 posts, read 2,576,031 times
I've had AT&T (back when Cingular bought them, before AT&T bought Cingular right back), T-Mobile, and now Sprint. I'm looking forward to Verizon when my Sprint contract is up. Various spotty coverage areas in Clay County drive me nuts.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM

78 posts, read 218,815 times
I had to leave Tmobile when I moved to Bartram Park - there was very little service inside my house. I switched to At&t and have had no problems. Luckily I was out of contract though.

You might want to do a search for terms and conditions changes - if they change ANYTHING (or almost anything), you are eligible to reject the change and leave with no etf. Usually these have deadlines though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville