U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 PM

433 posts, read 1,187,821 times

Advertisements

Okay so we are on our LAST week in Hawaii before we make our trek across the US to our new home in Oakleaf. We are just ready to move...let's say that the loaner furniture (and I am beyond thankful for it) isn't doing my back any good at all!! We are all ready to get our house and start living life in Florida.

Anyway we have all our utilities set up and ready to assume them....our house has a final inspection next week and so far everything has been great!

The only thing we don't have set up yet is cable/phone.......we haven't decided what direction to go. I see alot of comcast users, but it seems they are kind of pricey! I also never hear very many good things about them. I will say I am not hard to please.....as long as we have the home channels (hgtv, tlc, food network, diy) I am good...the boys want all the discovery, history, military and sports channels and then obviously kid stations.......we don't need the huge movie packages or sports packages (well maybe my husband really wants them as he's worried we'll be overloaded with teams we don't follow that much). I just want a dvr and good high speed internet as well.....is comcast the way to go? I worry UVerse is too new and it's difficult to find out from here if we would qualify for it. My girlfriend has it in california and loves it.......

I also worry about direct tv or dish there during storms.......do you have alot of issues with them?

so speaking of storms this brings another question. I have never lived through a hurricane.....and well if you haven't they seem scary and overwhelming. Although I think knowing it is possibly coming and getting the choice to board up or get out of the way is better than having a tornado drop on you in the midwest, I still worry about them.

Do the majority of maintain a landline for this purpose? I know a few years back we had an entire island power outtage and the only things that worked were land lines.......so after that my husband was concerned with this issue as am i about moving to florida.

Also generators.......do most of you own them?

Any storm related advice to give a complete florida newbie? I know to maintain an emergency kit, cash, gas up the vehicles etc.......but what about the other things you have found that might help? I'll be a mess when the first one moves through......alot of my friends who live here who are from Florida laugh at me.....but I tell them if you haven't grown up with them well they are scary!

Okay whew.......off to enjoy the last week in Hawaii....and oddly enough we have a hurricane churning out there! haha.....but it should only be a tropical depression when it floats through which means flooding.......

Hope you all have a good week!!!!

amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 PM

414 posts, read 1,686,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
Okay so we are on our LAST week in Hawaii before we make our trek across the US to our new home in Oakleaf. We are just ready to move...let's say that the loaner furniture (and I am beyond thankful for it) isn't doing my back any good at all!! We are all ready to get our house and start living life in Florida.

Anyway we have all our utilities set up and ready to assume them....our house has a final inspection next week and so far everything has been great!
Welcome!!

Quote:
The only thing we don't have set up yet is cable/phone.......we haven't decided what direction to go. I see alot of comcast users, but it seems they are kind of pricey! I also never hear very many good things about them. I will say I am not hard to please.....as long as we have the home channels (hgtv, tlc, food network, diy) I am good...the boys want all the discovery, history, military and sports channels and then obviously kid stations.......we don't need the huge movie packages or sports packages (well maybe my husband really wants them as he's worried we'll be overloaded with teams we don't follow that much). I just want a dvr and good high speed internet as well.....is comcast the way to go? I worry UVerse is too new and it's difficult to find out from here if we would qualify for it. My girlfriend has it in california and loves it.......
I've had dish and cable. I prefer cable. During heavy thunderstorms (which we have often in Florida), my dish connection would always go out. Comcast is a little pricey, but I don't like the hassle of paying multiple bills. We have the triple play with the HD package for my hubby's TV. It works just fine and we get all the channels. Plus, broadband and a landline. I hate talking on the phone for an hour to my relatives out-of-state, so I like having a house phone. Plus, I don't like giving my cell phone number out to businesses that require a number for anything. And, I live in a gated community and like the gate call being sent to my home phone and not my cell.

Quote:
I also worry about direct tv or dish there during storms.......do you have alot of issues with them?

so speaking of storms this brings another question. I have never lived through a hurricane.....and well if you haven't they seem scary and overwhelming. Although I think knowing it is possibly coming and getting the choice to board up or get out of the way is better than having a tornado drop on you in the midwest, I still worry about them.
We really don't see a lot of hurricanes in this area (North Florida). I lived in Central Florida before here and saw many more than the last 7 years I've been here. At least you get advanced warning, which you do not get with most natural disasters. It's a hazard of living in Florida, but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Quote:
Do the majority of maintain a landline for this purpose? I know a few years back we had an entire island power outtage and the only things that worked were land lines.......so after that my husband was concerned with this issue as am i about moving to florida.

Any storm related advice to give a complete florida newbie? I know to maintain an emergency kit, cash, gas up the vehicles etc.......but what about the other things you have found that might help? I'll be a mess when the first one moves through......alot of my friends who live here who are from Florida laugh at me.....but I tell them if you haven't grown up with them well they are scary!

Okay whew.......off to enjoy the last week in Hawaii....and oddly enough we have a hurricane churning out there! haha.....but it should only be a tropical depression when it floats through which means flooding.......

Hope you all have a good week!!!!

amy.
Don't worry! You will love it here (although I personally would love to live in Hawaii). This is a great area to raise a family. As far as hurricanes go, some of the older neighborhoods of Jacksonville experience power outages more frequently, but I don't think you'll have many problems in Oakleaf. We get our hurricane supplies and emergency kits ready in June and have them set just in case. Honestly, I've never had to use mine but twice. Once in 2004 and once last summer. Enjoy your last week in Hawaii and welcome to the area!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,232,807 times
Just received a mailing about Comcast home phone/internet/tv deal. Might want to call 1-800-comcast and check it out.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:19 PM

57 posts, read 129,742 times
We have directv and during bad storms the tv goes out for maybe 10 mins or so. During normal rain storms it is fine.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM

17 posts, read 35,969 times
Quote:
Comcast will be just fine. My family has it and we love the channel selection and DVR. As for internet, we haven't had the BEST experience with Comcast, but overall, it's very quick and the problems have been few and minimal.

Quote:
I have friends nearby who use a dish and have problems during storms, but maybe it's not an issue with new dishes.

Quote:
Depending on the strength of the hurricane, they're not terrible. My family moved to Jacksonville in the summer of 2004 when we had that terrible onslought of 4-5 powerful hurricanes! There is heavy intermittent rainful coupled with powerful, howling winds. Jacksonville usually avoids the big storms and depending on where you live, you may not end up with any problems at all.

Quote:
This is dependent upon where you're moving. Some people are supplied by JEA, others by Florida Power.

Quote:
Nope. Many people do, but power outtages are typically short and handled promptly.

Quote:
When a big storm is coming, you see people flocking to the supermarkets to get water - always a valuable resource. The best advice would be to stay calm and stay tuned in to the local news. When storms are brewing, the local news stations give you constant updates and recommendations and such.

Good luck, Amy![/quote]

Old 08-09-2009, 04:11 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,469,630 times
Amy
You must be getting very excited about you new adventure !!!
We have Comcast we had the Dish but switched over after the weird 2004 storm season we had some residual tropical force winds from all the storms that year. We were constantly losing the signal
But some folks have said they have improved the dish since

I have lived here 17 years and 6 of those were at the beach, the only "issue" storm wise was in 99 when they thought Hugo was going to pay us a visit they had a mandatory beach evacuation so I boarded up and evacuated to orange Park
Funny thing is we lost power in Orange Park but never at my house at the beach
We have not had a direct hit since I think is was 1962 or 63

Yes there were neighborhoods that lost power for a couple of weeks during that one stormy season but most of it was due to big trees falling on power lines
In a new subdivision your going to have most of your utilities underground

Another thing to remember is in Oakleaf your going to be 25 to 30+ miles from the ocean
and as aandreas posted
"When storms are brewing, the local news stations give you constant updates and recommendations and such"
We joke that the local news folks are probably the most "excited" when there is a storm brewing.
4 or so years ago there was a tornado that went through NW Jax and the next few years every time there was a big storm they would bring up this tornado. Hubby & I would be watching and one of us would say " here come the old tornado" and a couple mins later we would hear "Remember the tornado that came through ....."
So this year should any storms start brewing I bet you will hear reference to the water spout that went up the river a few weeks ago

You probably saw more Tropical storm & Hurricane issues living in Hawaii that you will living in Oakleaf

Have a really safe trip, your driving from CA is I remember correctly and let us know when you get here, we can plan one of our Pizza gatherings so you can meet some of the regulars !!!

Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 AM

90 posts, read 191,833 times
Congratulations on your upcoming move! We moved here close to two months ago and love it! Comcast has some pretty good specials now that last for 1 year and will even let you lock into a contract for 2 years if you want. Our deal was 44.95/mo for pretty much all of the channels and an additional 4.95 for the DVR. That is good for a year and it also includes HBO free for the year. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville