Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,236,991 times

Advertisements

My favorite parts of the city are the historic neighborhoods that surrond downtown: Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, & San Marco. These aren't cookie-cutter neigborhoods or apartment complexes and are very walkable/bikeable, unlike 90% of the city. Lots of parks, the river, downtown, cafes, botiques, restaurants....you won't find too many 'chains' in these areas. Downtown, btw, is not dead at all. It's not vibrant persay, but there's certainly plenty to do. It's the major center for arts, museums, theatre, sports, festivals, city events, and culture in general. There's current a big push for revitalization of Downtown as well, with new residences being built and refurbished, new nightlife and restuarants opening. The the 4 historic neighborhoods (named above) which surrond it are all just a few miles or less away from Downtown and eachother.

The Southside of town is suburban sprawl at it's finest. So if you like that, then that's your place to be. If you like walking to things, driving (or walking) 5 miles or less to all the fine restuarants, local restaurants, unique botiques, cafes, the river, downtown, sports, city events, theatre, symphony, festivals, farmers markets, museuems, main library, sports complex, lots of parks, jax arena, etc, etc, etc.....then one of the 4 historic neigborhoods is your ticket. All have lots of families, though not as much as in the suburbs.

job market is not so good.

crime is ok. a lot better than last year. unless you live in one of the areas of high-crime you don't have anything unusual to worry about. at least 75% of the murders happen in very specific areas, which you wouldn't visit.

schools are pretty good, not great. just depends which one you go to really. and it depends on how involved you are as a parent. magnet schools let good students in areas with crappy schools go to a great schools.....so what school you are zoned for doesn't necessarily matter. in general, the schools in the 'burbs are better, but again, just depends on which one your talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:44 PM

90 posts, read 213,094 times
We moved here 2 months ago from the Philadelphia suburbs. My husband was transferred here through his job to Orange Park. We decided on Fleming Island because we were told that the schools were the best in the area here and crime was low, (Some say non-existent). We love it here and are very happy with our decision. We are 30 minutes from downtown, 35-45 from the beaches, depending on which one, and there are several colleges around. University of North Florida is a 30 minute drive. There is also a call center (if you are interested in CSR) for AT&T right here on Fleming Island. As far as employment opportunities, I was able to get a job within 2 months of searching.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,475,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon1234 View Post
We moved here 2 months ago from the Philadelphia suburbs. My husband was transferred here through his job to Orange Park. We decided on Fleming Island because we were told that the schools were the best in the area here and crime was low, (Some say non-existent). We love it here and are very happy with our decision. We are 30 minutes from downtown, 35-45 from the beaches, depending on which one, and there are several colleges around. University of North Florida is a 30 minute drive. There is also a call center (if you are interested in CSR) for AT&T right here on Fleming Island. As far as employment opportunities, I was able to get a job within 2 months of searching.
Glad your move was great. You bring any Amarosa rolls with you?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

90 posts, read 213,094 times
fsqiud: No, we ran out of room in our car! Hope your upcoming move goes smoothly! Good luck with everything!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,193 times
Fine as long as you don't mind SITTING IN GRID-LOCK TRAFFIC half the time or WAITING OVER AN HOUR TO EAT AT A RESTAURANT because of the already over populated city!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:00 AM

51 posts, read 72,740 times
do not move to Jacksonville, Florida..I repeat...DONT DO IT..first off let me preface this by saying im a 34 year old, married, father of 3, that has lived here since 1993! OK..that being said..let me also say that I was raised in a suburb of Washington D.C. (Columbia, MD to be exact!)

Ok...first of all Jax can "work" for anybody..it is fairly large city, with all of the things you would expect a city of this size to have..but what exactly does that mean? strip malls? Gas Stations? Big Box retail centers? Yeah...no joke guys..that is pretty much all she wrote...I mean once you go the zoo, the beach, the MOSH, the landing...its pretty much done deal..the sense of community here is non existent, which another thread goes into at length so I wont...but really..the kids dont even play outside here..there is nothing for them to do (Adventure Landing is cool!) But i guess im a bit biased because where i grew up in MD we had streams, lakes, community centers that cared, etc...take it from me..this city is so fake that you really dont realize it until your kids get older...then you ask yourself..what was I doing at that age? So the point is..for some people Jax is probably just fine to exist, and die...but if you want to raise productive members of socitey, that are well adapted and ready to make the world a better place..it will be a constant struggle in Jacksonville, Florida.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealmaker74 View Post
do not move to Jacksonville, Florida..I repeat...DONT DO IT..first off let me preface this by saying im a 34 year old, married, father of 3, that has lived here since 1993! OK..that being said..let me also say that I was raised in a suburb of Washington D.C. (Columbia, MD to be exact!)

Ok...first of all Jax can "work" for anybody..it is fairly large city, with all of the things you would expect a city of this size to have..but what exactly does that mean? strip malls? Gas Stations? Big Box retail centers? Yeah...no joke guys..that is pretty much all she wrote...I mean once you go the zoo, the beach, the MOSH, the landing...its pretty much done deal..the sense of community here is non existent, which another thread goes into at length so I wont...but really..the kids dont even play outside here..there is nothing for them to do (Adventure Landing is cool!) But i guess im a bit biased because where i grew up in MD we had streams, lakes, community centers that cared, etc...take it from me..this city is so fake that you really dont realize it until your kids get older...then you ask yourself..what was I doing at that age? So the point is..for some people Jax is probably just fine to exist, and die...but if you want to raise productive members of socitey, that are well adapted and ready to make the world a better place..it will be a constant struggle in Jacksonville, Florida.
Sounds like this is a quality of parenting problem and not a location problem. I "grew up" pretty much all over the world, and my fondest memories remain those of the Orange Park/Fleming Island area. You mention "streams" but fail to recognize that there's an enormous river that flows directly through the city. I have great memories of wakeboarding and tubing on the river and lakes. What you've mentioned, in the form of lack of community, I actually found much more prevalent in the DC metro area when I grew up there... there was a severe lack of community. For me, my childhood is such a big deal that I'm considering moving back there, choosing it over other really cool places around the world. I was riding my bike back to the lake to hang out with friends and hitting golf balls into retention ponds and playing soccer and playing football and skateboarding in the rain. The Jacksonville area is such an incredible place to raise kids that I'm quite dumbfounded by this statement.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 PM

22 posts, read 68,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealmaker74 View Post

I'm struggling to find one sentence in this post that makes any sort of sense.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inmylife View Post
I'm struggling to find one sentence in this post that makes any sort of sense.
This is exactly they type of fakeness and dumbed down attitude that is prevalent here" I'm struggling to find one sentence in this post that makes any sort of sense?

Inmylife? Do you even live in Jacksonville? Ok here is a sentence for you..

The sense of community here is non existent.

Once you go the zoo, the beach, the MOSH, the landing...its pretty much done deal.

sorry thats 2

dealmaker74 *sigh*

Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
Sounds like this is a quality of parenting problem and not a location problem. I "grew up" pretty much all over the world, and my fondest memories remain those of the Orange Park/Fleming Island area. You mention "streams" but fail to recognize that there's an enormous river that flows directly through the city. I have great memories of wakeboarding and tubing on the river and lakes. What you've mentioned, in the form of lack of community, I actually found much more prevalent in the DC metro area when I grew up there... there was a severe lack of community. For me, my childhood is such a big deal that I'm considering moving back there, choosing it over other really cool places around the world. I was riding my bike back to the lake to hang out with friends and hitting golf balls into retention ponds and playing soccer and playing football and skateboarding in the rain. The Jacksonville area is such an incredible place to raise kids that I'm quite dumbfounded by this statement.
Maradona you are certainly entitled to your opinion...viewers please keep in mind tho, that my opinion is coming from that of a black man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville