Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Alaskans moving to Florida; pros and cons of Florida living, housing costs, commute time, employment outlook, housing costs, cost of living

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM

29 posts, read 75,756 times

Advertisements

Our family has been dreaming of moving to Florida for a long time, and I (mom) have been reviewing this and other Florida forums to help me get through the winters and also plan our yearly vacations to different areas of FL to see where we'd fit best.

As a family, we have visited Orlando, Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater, Naples, Navarre, Ft. Walton, Destin, Panama City, and Pensacola/P'Cola Beach. Additionally, I lived in South Alabama for 3 years (88-91) and traveled around the area through much of that time.

We have not yet visited Jacksonville, and are considering it for our vacation this year. We really love Pensacola and Navarre beaches. We've also decided that the Tampa and Orlando areas are out for relocation. We didn't enjoy the beaches as much and just didn't get the same good feeling from those areas.

In my research, I have read many of the city profile data and demographic data, but that doesn't compare to people's stories and opinions... and photos or videos. Those are of tremendous help! I especially like the long posts with details and anecdotes.

What are the prospects for finding work in the beach areas of Jax? I currently have to commute over an hour on the one and only road we have in and out of Anchorage and I want to tailor our Florida life to get away from that. We love the beach and would spend all of our recreation time there, so we want to live and work close.

I keep reading about folks that have job offers to relocate to Jax and would LOVE to read stories of how those opportunities were discovered. I am in planning mode now and have time to do things to improve our situation if I know what to do.

I'm also interested in hearing from folks who like the beach areas and also live/work there: major drawbacks? Will there be affordable housing in a few years? What is considered affordable?

For example, where I live, I could tell you that there will definitely be affordable housing here in 3 years, but you will have to commute an hour each way. Affordable means you can have 1/2 an acre lot with 4br/3ba for under $275K. If you don't want to commute, you can add $150K to that price tag. For work, you can find jobs in most industries that pay over $40K with bachelor's degree/minimal experience; over $60K for bach and 5-10 years exp. (Anchorage is the easiest place in the world to get a decent job--small labor pool)

Can you tell me this kind of info for the Jax beach areas?

If it helps, we are in marketing and real estate, with experience working in and with military, gov't, non-profit, for profit, contractors, and travel/transportation industries.

Thanks! and sorry for the novella of a post, I like to write
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 PM

154 posts, read 645,766 times
Jax has 3 military bases nearby (Mayport, NAS & Kings Bay) so that would be a plus for you in your line of work. Like all of FL you won't be able to find an affordable place to purchase very close to the beach. Right now with the real estate market down, you can pretty much find something you want in your price range 15-45 minutes from the ocean. Also, the ocean/beach here in NE FL is not going to be the same as the Panhandle. Don't get me wrong, the beach here is nice but it's not the pure white sand, crystal clear water that you will see in Panama City/Pensacola. This is open ocean. You should have a much better chance of landing work here in Jax than the Panhandle. I've traveled all over Florida and Jax is unique. It has more of a South Georgia flavor than Florida, not that is a bad thing.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
If you're a realtor, you might be able to work out of the beaches. There is also retail, some hotel work, service jobs, etc.

There are businesses and jobs throughout most of Jax, so the potential for work can be just about anywhere, but the major hubs are:

Downtown
Baymeadows/Southpoint/Deerwood (all in the same general area of the Southside of the city)

Plenty of people live at the beaches and commute into "town" for work, so it's certainly feasible, but it can be a long commute and that's what you're trying to avoid. Also, your definition of "affordable" doesn't really fit with prices at the beach unless you're willing to live in a small, older condo or something of that sort.

For $275k, you can move inland just a bit and be 10-15 minutes from the beach. Try searching online in zip codes 32246, 32225 & 32224 to see what the houses are like in your price range. Keep in mind that 1/2 acre lot in the populated areas is not a common find and usually comes at a premium price. If you want a big lot, there will probably be a compromise elsewhere.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:14 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
There are also good bargains to be had in 32223 and 32257, a little farther from the beaches, but a good stable area - called Mandarin & Beauclerc.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
That is a huge move!! I can't imagine moving across that many time zones! I commend you for your adventurous spirit!

I think if you didn't like Orlando, Tampa.....I assume you have not been to Miami and you liked the panhandle then you will probably will like Jacksonville. In my opinion, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm, Tampa, Orlando have their own feel separate from the rest of Florida including Jacksonville. To say Jacksonville is south Georgia is no mistake.

The light green waters can be found on the gulf side and also in south florida. North Florida has darker waters that are also colder. The gulf stream that wraps warm from the gulf side around the bottom tip of the Florida peninsula year round, veers off from Florida somewhere north of West Palm....I am not sure exactly where. So, as a result the north florida waters get cold in the winter months because this part of Florida doesn't get the warm gulf stream.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM

That is great information! Thank you so much for the replies. (My whole family crowded around my blackberry when the email notifier came in that we had a response! )

I should clarify what I mean about affordable housing though. I think that is different everywhere. Up here, where I live, when people say that they are refering to the description I provided, with the 1/2 acre lot.
But that's not to say we expect to have a 1/2 acre at the beach for that same price.

I just wondered what "affordable housing" means in the beach areas of Jax, and not necessarily beachfront.

We are considering a condo actually. We have 5 kiddoes, but 3 will have graduated by then and the younger two will be just starting out in the elementary grades. We want a pool for sure, and the idea of grounds maintenance is very attractive since we'll be climatizing for a few years.

So for actual jobs in the beach areas, it sounds low scale, is that right?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Mandarin will put you a good 30 minutes to beach access?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM

Yes, it's a big move, but we've done them before. We lived overseas for a few years and have moved from Alaska to southern Alabama. We really like the slower pace of the south and the sweet and friendly people.

30 minutes to beach access isn't terrible, but we'd like to be closer. In our experience, people take advantage of what's nearby, so we want to surround ourselves with what we like best.

Up here, there is a huge wilderness available for people who love the mountains and outdoors, but it's 30 minutes away from where most people are, so they don't go. We recognize the same thing could happen to us once we settle into "life as usual", if the beach isn't close enough.

On google maps, it looks like Mayport NAS is close to the beach areas. I am going to start researching DOD and contractor jobs there. I am in marketing and a veteran, but my husband is a realtor with no military experience.

I'd love to hear speculation on where the housing market might be in 2011, when we are moving.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
I would also love to hear speculation about the housing market in 2011!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM

well, I can speculate on my current market: total turnaround by then! We aren't feeling the full effects like the lower 48 is now, and no one expects to. Our values are still going up, just in smaller increments.

What about Jax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville