Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,846 times

Advertisements

I have read most of these replies also and am amazed how many individuals out there actually have the self inflated notion that anyone gives a rats tookis what their personal opinion is... forums occasionally amaze me.... the idea of the question was for a person that has been through this to quickly and concisely state the regulation (that I am sure is out there) stating the distance from a mailbox that a parked car/truck constitutes "blocking a box" once that regulation is met many people my self included could care freeking less what needs to be done to get the mail in the box.... that is their "JOB".... do it or get fired.... that seems pretty simple... I am running into the same problem because of a truck and a trailer... so I moved it and put a small red car 10 feet from the box, they chose not to deliver it again... at this point I do not care if they must levitate in mid air to do their job... but I am still looking for that regulation... I can not believe that when you read the insane long list of regulation that are published for what criteria a box must meet to be a "Mail Box" there is no regulation out there stating distance to be parked from the box... they just need to do their dang job and deliver the mail... the rest of you folks just keep on traveling through life thinking people care what you think.... opinions are like arm pits everyone has two.... so does anyone actually know if there is a regulation????

Last edited by stumpthumpr; 05-28-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 02:17 PM

2,558 posts, read 6,461,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpthumpr View Post
.. so does anyone actually know if there is a regulation????
This post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/10697916-post11.html

Old 05-28-2016, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,846 times
okay took a bit of looking.... but here is the official answer from the POSTAL OPERATIONS MANUAL..... this is 2002 VERSION 9... not sure if there is a newer one.... so this should be the definitive Biblical Answer to this question... unless there is a newer version or someone knows something more official... emphasis added.... but this seems pretty clear... they can't just stop delivering... if your box meets the regulations and is in code... they gotta deliver even if they need to dismount... regardless what the personal opinions are...

632.14 Approach to Mailbox (Oct. 13, 2013 Rev)
The customer is responsible for keeping the approach to his or her mailbox clear to facilitate delivery. Where the approach to the mail receptacle located at the curb is temporarily blocked by a parked vehicle during normal delivery hours for the area, or snow or ice hampers the approach to the mailbox, the carrier normally dismounts to make delivery. If the carrier continually experiences a problem in serving curbline boxes and where the customer is able to control on-street parking in front of his or her mailbox but does not take prompt corrective action after being properly notified, the postmaster may, with the approval of the district manager, withdraw delivery service.

EDITED: just saw the above response and thanks...(EricBoyd).... we can speculate all day long but a definitive Post office regulation like the two stated here can keep both sides honest... personally I don't want to be a Richard.... but we all know people can get really lazy and that is their own personal issue.... just want my mail.....

Last edited by stumpthumpr; 05-28-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,343 times
is it illegal to park car near or even in front of mail box after delivery hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm
I gone by 7:00am for work. I have a neighbor that he and his wife park their cars side by side next to each other
with a gap of 4 ft between them so no one else can park, that leaves the mail box spot open, so like I said is it illegal
to park after delivery hours.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:03 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,384,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mejorad View Post
is it illegal to park car near or even in front of mail box after delivery hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm
I gone by 7:00am for work. I have a neighbor that he and his wife park their cars side by side next to each other
with a gap of 4 ft between them so no one else can park, that leaves the mail box spot open, so like I said is it illegal
to park after delivery hours.
Don't think the post office cares or has rules about what people do after delivery hours. But there way be local laws/rules. In our HOA - you can't park cars on the street overnight. Robyn

Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Walking routes have less deliveries , therefore they can go from door . Motorized routes are twice the size of walking and park and loop routes . They have less than 5 seconds per stop and therefore cannot get out to deliver mail . The post office has gps tracking in every truck and monitors their delivery time at every stop . In addition to that , the carrier must cut off his engine and put on his hand brakes when ever he exit the vehicle. His vehicle also creates a blind spot when left in the middle of the street and if accident occurs while his vehicle is park in the middle of street he is at fault .contribultory negligence!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,109 times
So when did the motto "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" change to "I will deliver only when I can be lazy and not get out of my vehicle?

Old 06-26-2017, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 957 times
I have had, and continue to have, a similar problem. According to what I have obtained from the post office, access to your mailbox must be clear 30 feet before and 30 feet after your mailbox. It seems like a lot of room, but that is what the post office requires, otherwise they do not have to deliver your mail.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 732 times
[url=http://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/ca/2014/ca_2014_0807.htm]Postal Service Carriers Ask Residents to Keep Mailboxes Clear of Obstacles[/url] This link from the USPS says its more of a formal request, but not a law. And for a carrier to stop delivering mail to that address, they must have postmasters permission along with approval of the district manager. So they cannot just stop delivering mail without getting approval and properly notifying you first.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:55 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,377,203 times
Old thread but for anyone who needs to know parking rules need to consult their local ordinances. One for Midvale Utah which came up on a simple search states

10.16.140 Parking near mailboxes.
Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic control device, or momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers, no person shall park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, within fifteen feet of a public or private curbside mailbox between the hours of eight a.m. and five p.m. (Ord. 3/18/2003O-3 § 1, 2003)

Some local ordinances do not have any rules but make note that the post office does not have to deliver mail if they have to get out of their vehicle to do so. Most will do so once in a while but if you park blocking access by a postal vehicle every day eventually they will refuse to deliver. Do that to your neighbor's box and they will be pissed. Respect your neighbors and your carriers, use your driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville