Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM

18,092 posts, read 11,719,567 times

Advertisements

Remember in your discussions;

Discuss the TOPIC and not the MEMBER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM

402 posts, read 1,053,357 times
Cricket, I agree with that.

Fsu, once again you just make crap up. 8th street is not even a mile or two from dead center of downtown, golf air is pretty much right there too. You make crap up man, something is wrong with you. Now if you said San Pablo road is so far out it wouldnt make it into a normal sized city than I may agree with you but man, you claim stuff with in a mile or two shouldnt be in the city???? Are you for real bro? I'll tell you what Mr. smarty pants, just google crime map for jacksonville and you will see the MAJORITY of the crime is with in 5 miles of downtown. The suburbs actually dillute the statistics because as you can see from the MAP theres not as much crime there.

Sheesh, I used to enjoy the debates with you but I am noticing a pattern of you making stuff up.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:53 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,257,278 times
No, actually. i never mentioned that 8th Street was far away from Downtown. It's about 2 to 2 & 1/2 miles. That must have come from you imagination.

I referenced the close distance in the "walking in springfield" thread, as well, if you care to look.

I gave Golfair as a general example, as I stated clearly. And 103rd as well.

Perhaps you should read more carefully before replying.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 PM

589 posts, read 849,244 times
Cricketfan,

I can't see a coherent thought process in your replies. You say lets not deal in the what if's and what would be's? Agreed, but I reviewed the thread, and I don't see anyone asking 'what if's." What I see are two different schools of thought. One side is quoting actual crime statistics, and making logical deductions. (our crime is bad, and it's centered in the middle of the city) The other side is upset that anyone would have the nerve to say anything negative about Jacksonville, regardless of what the facts show.

Are you suggesting that anyone with the personal integrity to state the truth is automatically 'anti jacksonville?'

Sorry, but that is completely wrong. I'm not anti Jacksonville. What I am is anti crime, and anti delusion. Unfortunately, Jacksonville seems to have plenty of both. I would argue that anyone unwilling to face facts, however uncomfortable they may be, is the true anti Jacksonville citizen. Until someone is willing to be honest with themselves, and admit that we have a problem, they can't fix the problem.

Stubbornly insisting that the facts aren't really he facts, does nothing to solve any crime problems.

You suggest "What we really should be talking about are positive solutions to inner city crime everywhere." That sounds like a plan. Can you reference for me a prior post that you have made, in that vein? I'd love to read it, and respond.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 PM

402 posts, read 1,053,357 times
Fsu, I know what you said, you said golf air would not be in normal city limits and downtown does not have that much crime yet the crime map looks liek someone shot it with a shotgun right downtown. Most of the crime IS DOWNTOWN area according to the map but maybe your too stupid to go look at it?

Why do you keep talking about riverside, thats across the river. were talking about DOWNTOWN, HELLO!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,725,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Cricketfan,

I can't see a coherent thought process in your replies. You say lets not deal in the what if's and what would be's? Agreed, but I reviewed the thread, and I don't see anyone asking 'what if's."
Well don't blame me if you can't see coherence in what I said. The "what if" that I was referring to was expanding the size of Miami to the size of Jacksonville to make a point. I said I did not want to deal in those hypotheticals, go back and review the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Are you suggesting that anyone with the personal integrity to state the truth is automatically 'anti jacksonville?'
I don't know anything about your personal integrity to state the truth but as it pertains to Jax crime I prefer to believe the FBI Uniform Crime Report which tell us the truth about our crime situation but also puts it in context with all the other major cities in the US.

My definition of a person who is "anti any city" is one who is consistently negative about anything to do with that city and is consistently dismissive of anything that is positive about that city. BTW to paraphrase your words "can you reference for me a prior post that you have made going back to 2007 that says anything positive about Jacksonville? I'd love to read it, and congratulate you for being fair minded". I'm waiting.

BTW I have the same problem with posters who only see the positive aspects of Jax and never the negatives.

Last edited by cricketfan; 10-14-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 31,973 times
Amelia Island , Really is'nt that far from Jax. You just have to know the short cuts! LOL
I live in Fernandina, which is the same as Amelia Island. It only takes us about 30 minutes to get to the other side of jax.
Any directions or anything we can help with, let me know!
Good luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 PM

589 posts, read 849,244 times
Cricket,

There is nothing hypothetical about saying that the suburbs have a lower crime rate than the inner city. Whether it be Jacksonville or Miami, there are MANY. MANY crime studies that all show the same thing. Inner city = higher crime, and burbs = lower crime.

Suggesting that adding lower crime areas numbers, into a higher crime areas numbers would result in an overall reduction of the average crime rate, is not hypothetical. It's simple first grade math.

(1 + 2)/2 = 1.5. See how that works? The 1 represents the lower crime suburbs, and the 2 represents the higher crime inner cities. The average of the two, LOWERS THE OVERALL REPORTED CRIME RATE. If I'm typing too fast for you, please let me know.

As for the self serving FBI stats that you reference, you might want to share those same numbers with the folks at Jax Folio Weekly. (who's job it is to pimp for the city of Jacksonville) They could certainly use some different numbers. They just came out with their brand new report on the 'best of Jax 2009.' Here's what they say about Jacksonville crime.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]BEST REASON TO GET JOHN
RUTHERFORD OUT OF UNIFORM
Crime[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][LEFT]Jacksonville has had the highest per-capita
crime rate in the state for 10 years; for six of[/LEFT]
those, John Rutherford has been sheriff.

Oops. There's those bothersome facts again. Always getting in the way of your rose colored glasses view of the city. What does it say when the people who's job it is to promote Jacksonville, can't come up with anything better than that? HIGHEST PER-CAPITA CRIME IN THE STATE FOR 10 YEARS!

Finally, I find it sad but predictable that you ignored my challenge for you to reference one prior post where you walked your own talk, and actually suggested a solution to inner city crime. Instead, you make a clumsy juvenile attempt to characterize anyone that has the nerve to disagree with you as negative. Yes, I am very negative about the Jacksonville crime rate and the Jacksonville public schools system, and yes I have very little patience for self serving delusion. But I know of no clear thinking person that isn't negative about those things.

The only way that this city will ever reach it's true potential is for us to stop patting ourselves on the back because it may be possible to reference one or two cities even worse then us, and start asking ourselves why we aren't at the top of all the lists. The potential is there. We just have to be honest enough with ourselves to admit the problems. That isn't negativity. That's mature, pragmatic, honesty.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,566,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Why does everyone say the cost of living is low here? Where do you come up with that? I could see saying the cost of living is average but low? Salaries.com you have to enter cities like New york, new york, san diego or something for jacksonville to be lower. According to that site, Jacksonville is higher than a lot of cities when you take everything into consideration like how low the pay is.

That is a myth. One poster on here stated they lived in CA and commented on the cost of groceries being much higher in FL than CA, and they are.

We also lived in CA and was shocked at the cost of groceries in FL.

Publix which does have nice stores is very pricey and unlike Vons or Ralphs in CA doesn't have a discount card like other chains.

I have actually paid twice as much for some items here.

I remember bringing some coupons and asked the cashier do you do double coupons....she looked at me and said what is a double coupon...LOL

In CA all the chains do double coupons.

Same thing with car insurance, ours increased because FL has so many unisured dirvers. In CA they impound cars(like my states) when they get caught without it.

The utility bill is much higher because your running the A/C most of the year 24/7. Our average bill is four times higher here.

You have a very valid point, when you factor in the lower salaries many end up much worse off than where they came from.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,566,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
as long you are aware of your surrondings and take normal, everyday, standard, precautions you don't need to be overly worried, no.

you act as if random shootings don't occur in every larger city. they do.

nothing to be paranoid about.
Then why do so many in Florida carry guns. This was a new one on us. Guns in the car, concealed weapons permits.

I don't care for it, but many here only feel safe if they're armed.

We have lived all over the country and never saw or heard so much about guns.

FL is in the top ten as one of the most crime ridden and violent states.

I can understand a gun in the home for protection but many here seem to find they have to have wherever they go.

Could it be the amount of crime and the turnstyle FL justice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville