Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times

Advertisements

PokerPlayer is one of the reasons I rarely respond to ignorant comments on this forum any more. Once again he does not disappoint me.
I prefer to just let him wallow in his own ignorance about St. Augustine.

First of all it is important to differentiate St. Augustine from the City of St. Augustine and most people I know say that this part of Florida is a real jewel.

People who live in St. Augustine don't love it just for the beach or The Castle or the Alligator Farm. It is actually stupid to even think that. People move to a city for a miscellany of reasons all of which give them a good feeling for a place. St. Augustine does not have the amenities of big city living. Neither does it have the stress. Some people prefer to live in a stress-free community like St. Augustine and travel to where those big city amenities are, whenever they care to.

PokerPlayer, once again you show this forum how much you dislike anything Floridian. That's fine, but you need to stop and think before you start pounding keys about a place in Florida you know nothing about.

BTW, I am not in St. Augustine but I know lots of people who live there and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,939 times
Default St aug review after one month

OK---- We have now been here for a month and we like it alot. The people are very welcoming, warm & freindly. I have not met an unpleasant person yet. There is significant portion of the population at our school that are very low on the socio-economic scale that we really were not expecting. However the larger percentage of the population seem like the kind of people we hoped to find here.

We are considering leaving Vilano Beach (which we like) for Anastasia because the school for Vilano (Keterlinus) might not be what we are looking for . Although the school has very high test scores, good physical attributes and we love the teacher we have, there is an signifcant element at Ketelinus that i dont think i want my kids growing up with. Frankly its our very breif exposure to the parents at Keterlinus that has us concerned. My wife went to a recent event at school after being here for all 2 days and came home sobbing that everyone there had no teeth, mullets and B.O. (full disclosure - - - -we have only gone to school there for a week so we are not making and adjustment just yet).

My wife grew up in Boca Raton so she is not accustomed to going to school with people on the opposite end of the social strata.

There are lots of people here who appear to have the same values, goals and directions as we do but we are considering looking at real estate in RD Hunt school area now??????????

ST Aug is a GREAT little town we just need to find the right neighborhood to raise our daughters in.

we are really torn on this Ketterlinus VS RB Hunt thing so if anyone has any input it would be welcomed!!!!

Thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattym05 View Post
Michael Hosto,
My husband and I are also considering a move to St. Augustine from the midwest(Iowa). We are a little concerned of job market and cost of housing. We are still doing some checking, and traveling there in December to check on some things. Any advice?

Loving STA after 1 month.
cost of housing is surprisngly low for the quality of homes. We moved from Boca/Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta to St Louis and St Aug is the cheapest /best value of the places we have lived in.
cant comment on jobs but i dont think there are lots of high paying jobs here ($100k+)

Thanks
MDH

Old 01-01-2010, 08:14 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
PokerPlayer is one of the reasons I rarely respond to ignorant comments on this forum any more. Once again he does not disappoint me.
I prefer to just let him wallow in his own ignorance about St. Augustine.

First of all it is important to differentiate St. Augustine from the City of St. Augustine and most people I know say that this part of Florida is a real jewel.

People who live in St. Augustine don't love it just for the beach or The Castle or the Alligator Farm. It is actually stupid to even think that. People move to a city for a miscellany of reasons all of which give them a good feeling for a place. St. Augustine does not have the amenities of big city living. Neither does it have the stress. Some people prefer to live in a stress-free community like St. Augustine and travel to where those big city amenities are, whenever they care to.

PokerPlayer, once again you show this forum how much you dislike anything Floridian. That's fine, but you need to stop and think before you start pounding keys about a place in Florida you know nothing about.

BTW, I am not in St. Augustine but I know lots of people who live there and love it.
You're habitual, mindless St. Augustine boosterism is about as counter-productive as anything anyone can do on here. Nothing I said was "ignorant" (even though a certain sort of person is always quick to trot out that word whether it actually fits or not)

I lived there for 11 years. I still own property there and spend about a month a year living there. So, I don't know what I'm "ignorant" about, as far as St. Augustine goes, but I'd be willing to wager a substantial sum of money that if you and I were placed in a Jeopardy game-show type setting and asked questions about St. Augustine, I would come out the winner by a crushing margin. As is pretty much standard, the first person to raise the accusation of ignorance is really the one most worthy of that label...

It's completely fair to point out that it isn't best to judge St. Augustine by the tourist crap, simply because I've seen too many people do just that- time and time and time and time again... and on an equally regular basis they grow disgruntled with the area as time goes on and they come to realize that a lighthouse or a merry-go-round doesn't enrich your life on a daily basis. There are plenty of reasons for people to like St. Augustine, but the area is quick to charm with ephemeral stuff that has absolutely no meaning to peoples lives once they actually live there.

Don't believe me? Just look at the general commentary on St. Augustine- look at what dynamics people discuss when they're talking about the things that make the town so "great". It's stuff that the residents ceased being interested in after their third week of actually living there, save for having some of the better schools in Florida, but having some of the better schools in Florida is like being in one of the safer neighborhoods in Baghdad.

I'm raising an entirely valid point and every time you take a mindlessly defensive posture in threads like this, you're really showing yourself to be a clueless idiot. Stupid people with small minds are the ones who take otherwise valid criticisms personally, as if it's their duty to "defend" their beliefs at all costs. I choose to live in Chicago and could raise more criticisms about this city than I ever could about St. Augustine, but that doesn't mean it's "bad", nor does my pointing out that St. Augustine should be carefully judged on things that go beyond tourist-trappery.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilano Beach Newbie View Post
we are really torn on this Ketterlinus VS RB Hunt thing so if anyone has any input it would be welcomed!!!!
RB Hunt is unquestionably what you want. Anastasia Island is pretty much the most desirable area of St. Augustine and if I were to raise kids in St. Augustine (which I would never, ever do), that's where I would live. As far as what you witnessed with Ketterlinus, that's one of those "things" that people realize once they actually live in St. Augustine; something they do not see as a tourist. St. Augustine still has a meaningful amount of the population that is poor, straight out of the less desirable parts of the Southern cultural ethos. In short, they haven't been able to gloss it entirely over- the fabric of the town is a blend of northern polyester and Southern cotton. This can cause culture shock to people coming from northerly parts where that sort of thing doesn't really exist.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
You're habitual, mindless St. Augustine boosterism is about as counter-productive as anything anyone can do on here. Nothing I said was "ignorant" (even though a certain sort of person is always quick to trot out that word whether it actually fits or not)

I lived there for 11 years. I still own property there and spend about a month a year living there. So, I don't know what I'm "ignorant" about, as far as St. Augustine goes, but I'd be willing to wager a substantial sum of money that if you and I were placed in a Jeopardy game-show type setting and asked questions about St. Augustine, I would come out the winner by a crushing margin. As is pretty much standard, the first person to raise the accusation of ignorance is really the one most worthy of that label...

It's completely fair to point out that it isn't best to judge St. Augustine by the tourist crap, simply because I've seen too many people do just that- time and time and time and time again... and on an equally regular basis they grow disgruntled with the area as time goes on and they come to realize that a lighthouse or a merry-go-round doesn't enrich your life on a daily basis. There are plenty of reasons for people to like St. Augustine, but the area is quick to charm with ephemeral stuff that has absolutely no meaning to peoples lives once they actually live there.

Don't believe me? Just look at the general commentary on St. Augustine- look at what dynamics people discuss when they're talking about the things that make the town so "great". It's stuff that the residents ceased being interested in after their third week of actually living there, save for having some of the better schools in Florida, but having some of the better schools in Florida is like being in one of the safer neighborhoods in Baghdad.

I'm raising an entirely valid point and every time you take a mindlessly defensive posture in threads like this, you're really showing yourself to be a clueless idiot. Stupid people with small minds are the ones who take otherwise valid criticisms personally, as if it's their duty to "defend" their beliefs at all costs. I choose to live in Chicago and could raise more criticisms about this city than I ever could about St. Augustine, but that doesn't mean it's "bad", nor does my pointing out that St. Augustine should be carefully judged on things that go beyond tourist-trappery.

Quote:

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with [keyboards]."
--- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM

You'll notice that you never make any sort of a counter-point.
You're typical of the sort of drooler who says "IGNORANT!" then posts a few quips, and that's about the sum of what you have to offer.

If you can articulate why I'm incorrect, please, do so. Discourse is the intent of a discussion forum. If not, then please, leave the conversation to the grown-ups, or at least people of all ages with IQ's above 80.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 PM

227 posts, read 415,226 times
PokerPlayer1, if you hate St. Augustine so much, why did you live there for 11 years and still go there 1 month each year?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
PokerPlayer1, if you hate St. Augustine so much, why did you live there for 11 years and still go there 1 month each year?
I don't hate St. Augustine. I love it. It's just that I comprehend it for what it is.

People "moving in" seem to be much less likely to take a rational, realistic outlook about the place, instead choosing to overvalue things like a lighthouse or a fort. They don't understand that what they experience on 'vacation' is totally different than what they will experience once they actually live there. It's almost as if somewhere in the back of their minds, they think that by moving to St. Augustine, it will be vacation every day... just one long walk down St. George Street for the rest of their lives...

I still think St. Augustine is one of the most underrated places in Florida to visit or winter (although not quite as underrated as it used to be), but to live there full time- particularly with children- I'm just suggesting that people be very careful about understanding what the town actually has to offer in the way of meaningful, life-enriching dynamics, because there just aren't many to speak of. I absolutely adore the Eastern Shore of Maryland but I could never actually live there, in spite of the quaint homes, regardless of the beaches, irrespective of the historical stuff... My Eastern Shore is others St. Augustine.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 PM

206 posts, read 573,782 times
I am looking at St Augustine as well. I am a single mom with a teen son. I'd like to be close to the beach....but it's very pricey for me. Any suggestions.
I was there once and loved the old town feel of it.
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville