Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,584,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
well, FSU's recommendation is a good one and im guessing he chose it primarily because of your financial requirement.

But you might want to also check out riverside/avondale, san marco and the beaches (jax and atlantic). Not sure you could find a decent place in these areas on your budget, but at least take a look to decide if these environments are your speed.

i agree with parks that it's mostly chains around here, and in fact they are very popular...but it's also true that many of the best places are local. Isn't that the way it is in any big city though?
Thanks for the other areas to look. and yes I guess most big cities are like that but the local places here get almost no credit all you hear about is chains. I just really want to leave CLT and come back to FL. Figured Jax could be a good mix of FL and still not being back in Ft.L/Miami.

Also how is the Ortega area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,241,000 times
Murray Hill's zipcode is 32205 i beleive, which it shares with the much more expensive Avondale.

As far as restuarants go....off the top of my head....

Biscottis
Brick
Casba
Sterlings (changing it's name soon)
Mossfire
O' Brothers
bb's
Chew
Bistro Aix
Mathews
Taverna
13 Gypsies
Orsay
Uptown Market
Fusion
European Street
Patishe
Blue Bamboo

are all non-chains, very popular (or on thier way), and are all in or surronding Downtown, sans Blue Bamboo.

here's Jax's Top 25 Restuarnts: http://jacksonvillemag.com/pdfs/JM_46-57lo.pdf (broken link)

also, the Best Eats: Jacksonville Magazine Online (http://jacksonvillemag.com/bestof_dir.php - broken link)

You can see that there are very few chains on these....14 out of the 18 i listed above are going to be "chef" restaurants where not just anyone can come in and cook, (ie, you have to be good).

Old 10-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Well those are the types of places I will want to look into. I currently work at Charotte Country Club rated the #14 country club in the nation. And am switching to vivacecharlotte.com as they open soon. I have no problems trying out or anything like that. But also how is the Ortega area?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:08 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,478,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Behind Charlotte? I doubt that. The most popular places in CLT are all chains Fenwicks, Harpers group, Ruth Chris, Mortons, and others. Thanks for the heads up about Murray Hill, and fsquid where in CLT did you live? I am the University area off Mallard Creek and this area has gone from quiet to verging the ghetto trying to move in. Luckily my homeowners assoc wont let that happen. FSU thanks for all the great info. also fsu can you give me zip codes for Murray Hill so I can search for homes for sale in the area.
Lived a block from South Park Mall. There were some good non-chains in the Dilworth area. I'm not a steakhouse guy, but yes, the chains came in and pushed the local places out of the market.

Also, I'm not a fine dining guy, so places like Village Tavern, Big Daddy's, Lebowski's, etc. were fine for me.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Lived a block from South Park Mall. There were some good non-chains in the Dilworth area. I'm not a steakhouse guy, but yes, the chains came in and pushed the local places out of the market.

Also, I'm not a fine dining guy, so places like Village Tavern, Big Daddy's, Lebowski's, etc. were fine for me.
the penguin

Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,241,000 times
Ortega is a super nice, older, "inner suburb", about 20ish minutes Southwest of Downtown. Most are pretty well off to just plain rich, though not all. Perhaps the most family friendly & low-crime of the non-gated neighborhoods in the city. Almost the enitre neighborhood has huge trees and shade covering it.

Not that much immediately around it, so you'd have to drive most places.

Ortega Farms, however, is true middle-class to low-middle. Lot's of 'working class' families here, not the same ambiance or population.

There are plenty of country clubs type places in Jax if that's what you are interested in. Even more if you don't mind a 40 minute commute to Amelia Island, which has a few well known ones as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Ortega is a super nice, older, "inner suburb", about 20ish minutes Southwest of Downtown. Most are pretty well off to just plain rich, though not all. Perhaps the most family friendly & low-crime of the non-gated neighborhoods in the city. Almost the enitre neighborhood has huge trees and shade covering it.

Not that much immediately around it, so you'd have to drive most places.

Ortega Farms, however, is true middle-class to low-middle. Lot's of 'working class' families here, not the same ambiance or population.

There are plenty of country clubs type places in Jax if that's what you are interested in. Even more if you don't mind a 40 minute commute to Amelia Island, which has a few well known ones as well.
Thanks for the heads up about the ortega area. Country clubs are not what I am looking for really. Not very forward thinking and just meh usually. There are exceptions.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM

402 posts, read 1,051,409 times
Heres my advise, I would not move here unless you have a job. Most of those places FSU named do not just hire chefs but the chefs have ownership in the resturant. You did however make me realize that their are A LOT of country clubs and retirement homes that you might have a good shot at.

The chef at Bistro Aix is very well known and actaully came from california just to open the store years ago and it has done VERY well. Back 3 or so years ago, resturants were opening left and right and it was probably a lot easier to find a job for some up and coming resturant but right now as it is just about every where, new construction is moving at a snails pace. Its just not a good time to relocate due to the economy.

Don't think that I am saying dont even try to move, I am just saying do it smart by finding a job BEFORE you move even if it costs you thousands in airline tickets its better than moving here and being unemployed for god knows how long.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Heres my advise, I would not move here unless you have a job. Most of those places FSU named do not just hire chefs but the chefs have ownership in the resturant. You did however make me realize that their are A LOT of country clubs and retirement homes that you might have a good shot at.

The chef at Bistro Aix is very well known and actaully came from california just to open the store years ago and it has done VERY well. Back 3 or so years ago, resturants were opening left and right and it was probably a lot easier to find a job for some up and coming resturant but right now as it is just about every where, new construction is moving at a snails pace. Its just not a good time to relocate due to the economy.

Don't think that I am saying dont even try to move, I am just saying do it smart by finding a job BEFORE you move even if it costs you thousands in airline tickets its better than moving here and being unemployed for god knows how long.
I will find a job before I move anywhere. I am just looking to move to Jacksonville, also looking at a couple other cities.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,478,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
the penguin
forgot about that jewel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville