Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times

Advertisements

Edgewater Bakery has been mentioned several times on the Jax fourm and I try to make it a point to stop in when I am in the area. I knew that their sandwiches and bakery items were wonderful, but never really spent time looking at the whole shop. I didn't realize that they make such killer cakes!

Usually folks get a little paranoid when I want to whip out my camera and take pix, but owner Sandra Polletta could not have been more welcoming.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake6.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake5.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake11.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake7.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Default More!

The "purse" cake looks exactly like real leather! And the hamburger and fries cake reminded me of a certain Jax CD member
Attached Thumbnails
Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake10.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake9.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake8.jpg  

Old 11-12-2009, 08:09 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,009,688 times
All I can say is Wow !!!

I have heard nothing but good things about the bakery but have never been there
Might have to take a road trip soon !

Old 11-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Default Behind the scenes

I was invited behind the scenes and it was fun to watch the cakes being assembled and decorated.
Attached Thumbnails
Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake4.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake1.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake3.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-ecake2.jpg  

Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 AM

Default Hungry?

It's hard to save room for dessert after having breakfast or lunch. Equally difficult to stop in to grab a just a frappuchino. Too much temptation...

I can't decide my fav....more research is necessary!

Edgewood Bakery, located in Jacksonville, Florida-for all your bakery needs
Attached Thumbnails
Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-2009-september-101.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-efrappucino.jpg   Jacksonville's own Cake Boss!-estorefront.jpg  

Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,009,688 times
I just took a look and saw the pastries !! looks like I may have to stop next time I head down to the extension office

Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Let us know what you get. I don't make it over to Riverside all that much and try not to have pastries in the house BC they disappear so fast once the kids go to bed

Old 11-12-2009, 11:27 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,237,490 times
Edgewood Bakery is in Murray Hill actually. Near the intersection of Edgewood & Post.

Here ya go: edgewood bakery 32205 - Google Maps

Speaking of cakes, a couple other fantastic, well-known pastry chefs are:

1) Let Them Eat Cake! in Avondale on St. John's Ave has been around for 10 years. Had my wedding cake made there, very, very good. Here's thier website: Let Them Eat Cake - asweetbakery.com

They also just opend a spin off, Let Them Eat Cupcakes! It's an old-fashioned delievery truck painted & retrop fitted to serve gorumet cupcakes

Here's a recent story about it:
A 10-year-old Avondale bakery is taking its treats to the streets.

The deal would be sweeter, however, if the cupcake truck had a parking place.

Anita Adams of Riverside, owner of Let Them Eat Cake! on St. Johns Avenue, five months ago purchased and converted a moving van into a cupcakes-on-wheels mobile.

Full story at link: Cupcake truck seeking a sweet spot to park | Jacksonville.com

2) The other pastry instution, new but met with raves reviews by literally everyone, is Three Layers in Springfield on the corner of Walnut & E. 6th. It's been open just over a year. Though they are primarily a trendy coffee house/lunch spot/wine bar, thier speciality (as thier names suggests) is cakes and sweets. The "Jeff Square" is infamous.

Here's where they are: three layers 32206 - Google Maps

Here's thier website: Three Layers a Coffee House - Historic Springfield - Jacksonville, Florida

And here's article written last week about them:

"People can’t stop talking about Three Layers, A Coffee House. The Springfield business was named the Best Coffee House of Jacksonville by Folio Weekly, gained coverage in Southern Living, and garnered a visit from Gov. Charlie Crist. Like many other entrepreneurs, partners Jeff Wright and Shawn McGuire have an interesting story.

The couple moved to Florida from Atlanta in 2007. McGuire was successful in the construction and real estate industries. Wright worked in health care, and made special-order cakes from his home kitchen for more than a decade.

For as long as Wright has been making cakes, people have told him that his cakes were the best they’ve ever had. Guests have called the hosts of parties where Wright’s cakes were served because they wanted to compliment Wright on his cakes. They even sent flowers. Friends and family urged Wright to start a business.

McGuire suggested that Wright name the would-be business. Months later, Wright announced that he would call it Three Layers, A Coffee House. The name represented the three layers he used in every cake he baked and his belief that true inner peace embodies the mind, body and spirit—three layers.

Months after deciding on a name, the opportunity to launch Three Layers presented itself, but it was completely unexpected.

The full (long) article: Three Layers Coffee House: Sweet success for Jeff Wright and Shawn McGuire *|*Advantage

Old 11-13-2009, 01:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,091,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The "purse" cake looks exactly like real leather! And the hamburger and fries cake reminded me of a certain Jax CD member
Those cakes look off the chain for real. I gotta try that Bakery this weekend. I usually go to Cakes Galore & So Much More Bakery in the 200 block of W.48th St. on the Northside; they have some good sweets over there.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Edgewood Bakery is in Murray Hill actually. Near the intersection of Edgewood & Post.

Thanks for the correction on the neighborhood, FSU. I have never gotten a handle on the boundary lines for Murray Hill, Riverside & Avondale.

Yes, Edgewood Bakery is at the intersection of Post & Edgewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: