Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times

Advertisements

I went out to look at the Meyer lemons on my tree and saw one branch that was black on the branch and leaves. Also, bit white bumps (think bird poop) along the branch.
So, what should I do? Is there something I should spray on my little tree.
I have nine lemons on there right now and I don't want to lose this tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Jagfan let me get my books out and do some research

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Ok I had a feeling but wanted to make sure so I checked with my expert

What you have is called sooty mold and scale insects

Aphids, mealybugs certain soft scales, and immature whiteflies excrete a sweet syrupy material known as honeydew. The sooty mold fungus grows wherever this material falls.
Controlling these insects will prevent sooty mold, and oil sprays will usually cause it to flake off. The mold can interfere with photosynthesis and may slow plant growth.

You can use insecticidal soaps will work in most cases - and the soap will help the sooty mold flake off from the leaves.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Ok I had a feeling but wanted to make sure so I checked with my expert

What you have is called sooty mold and scale insects

Aphids, mealybugs certain soft scales, and immature whiteflies excrete a sweet syrupy material known as honeydew. The sooty mold fungus grows wherever this material falls.
Controlling these insects will prevent sooty mold, and oil sprays will usually cause it to flake off. The mold can interfere with photosynthesis and may slow plant growth.

You can use insecticidal soaps will work in most cases - and the soap will help the sooty mold flake off from the leaves.
So where can I get this insecticidal soap? Lowe's?
Should I cut off that black branch?
Also, where can I get info on when to fertilize my Meyer lemon tree? I would like to get more than 10 lemons next year.
I need to prepare for the freezing weather for my "baby" so I need to find out the best way to protect her from the cold.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Save your money. 2 teaspoons of Ivory(dishwashing liquid) plus a gallon of water. Go to the dollar store if you dont have a spray bottle and probelms solved.

Good idea would be to buy Ortho's guide to subtropical fruits. Or use your computer/ google "How to take care of a Meyer Lemon Tree" Its so easy a cave man can do it.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 AM

Jagfan
Twice I tried to post my reply and it went away because the site was doing maintenance

You have my number give me a call and we can talk about lemon trees

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-n-Jax View Post
Save your money. 2 teaspoons of Ivory(dishwashing liquid) plus a gallon of water. Go to the dollar store if you dont have a spray bottle and probelms solved.

Good idea would be to buy Ortho's guide to subtropical fruits. Or use your computer/ google "How to take care of a Meyer Lemon Tree" Its so easy a cave man can do it.
That's a great book .

If the Ivory soap works, that would be a cheap and easy solution. I would also cut off and bag the infected limbs. I had scale on my sago palms and it was a nightmare . For fruit, you have to be careful (edible), might want to look into horticultural oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville