Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 12,014 times

Advertisements

Hey, i am a nineteen year old college student. i plan on moving to Jacksonville after i complete my BA degree, and starts my Master in Jacksonville. i want to know how life is living in Jacksonville, since i am lving in the nation 3rd largest city. only reasons i want to move out of chicago is the cold weather, the high taxes currently at 10.25%, the violence, and the racial violence between Blacks and Latinos. Plus i want to start a new live, anyone lives in Jacksonville, and advices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior32 View Post
Hey, i am a nineteen year old college student. i plan on moving to Jacksonville after i complete my BA degree, and starts my Master in Jacksonville. i want to know how life is living in Jacksonville, since i am lving in the nation 3rd largest city. only reasons i want to move out of chicago is the cold weather, the high taxes currently at 10.25%, the violence, and the racial violence between Blacks and Latinos. Plus i want to start a new live, anyone lives in Jacksonville, and advices?
I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for... Jacksonville has the usual stuff, there are clubs, bars, the beach, watersports, etc...

You can absolutely get away from the cold and high taxes, and if you pick the right area you can get away from the violence as well...

I'm 22 and think that its great here... I moved from MD to escape a lot of the same things you are looking to get away from... Just make sure you have a job locked down before you come...

Old 12-07-2009, 01:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
so your 19, when are you getting your BA?

are you Doogie Howser?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
It certainly isn't a BA in English

Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM

250 posts, read 706,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

are you Doogie Howser?
well, my sister received hers at 19. started school overall at 4 instead of 5 then graduated college 1 year early. However, Junior32 didn't say that he was graduating now. he just said that he was moving after he graduates.
honestly, i've never been to chicago. i've been to philly, NY, ptts, boston, dc. those are the major northern cities anyway. based on my experiences and the experiences of other transplants from major cities, the weather and beaches would be the only thing noteworthy. maybe you should at least look at some other places like atlanta, orlando, or miami. at the very least do 1 summer down here before committing like that. jax has nothing compared to a major northern city. you may be bored out of your mind. as far as racial tensions go. i don't know your race but it is literally 1980s here between black and white. racial segragation and disparities are overtly evident. the confederate tributes, overt southern country accents, and massive stereotypical conservative views will definately be noticed by most northerners. other than that enjoy

Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
advice?

stay away from hicks & rednecks.

don't wear orange & blue or cammo under any circumstances

do bring a car

do live an area with lots of young adults

Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 PM

Bachelor of Arts degree aka B.A.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for... Jacksonville has the usual stuff, there are clubs, bars, the beach, watersports, etc...

You can absolutely get away from the cold and high taxes, and if you pick the right area you can get away from the violence as well...

I'm 22 and think that its great here... I moved from MD to escape a lot of the same things you are looking to get away from... Just make sure you have a job locked down before you come...

how was the transition moving to Jax? and LOL I dont know how to find a job there...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvingme23 View Post
well, my sister received hers at 19. started school overall at 4 instead of 5 then graduated college 1 year early. However, Junior32 didn't say that he was graduating now. he just said that he was moving after he graduates.
honestly, i've never been to chicago. i've been to philly, NY, ptts, boston, dc. those are the major northern cities anyway. based on my experiences and the experiences of other transplants from major cities, the weather and beaches would be the only thing noteworthy. maybe you should at least look at some other places like atlanta, orlando, or miami. at the very least do 1 summer down here before committing like that. jax has nothing compared to a major northern city. you may be bored out of your mind. as far as racial tensions go. i don't know your race but it is literally 1980s here between black and white. racial segragation and disparities are overtly evident. the confederate tributes, overt southern country accents, and massive stereotypical conservative views will definately be noticed by most northerners. other than that enjoy
hey, thanks and congs on your sister. yea i did some more research on Jax, and it crossed out now. im thinking of Tampa Bay Area and Orlando, have you ever been there or have some knowledge about it? im black by the way. aint no diff from the north only diff is the confedrate...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

are you Doogie Howser?
naw i aint no Doogie Howser. im african american..., more like bernie mac type

im getting my 4 year college degree in 2012....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville