Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times

Advertisements

Going to be staying in Neptune Beach Dec 31-Jan 4th. Was considering going to the Gator Bowl but ticket prices are way high now that it is FL St and Bobby Bowden's last game. Anyhow, we will arrive at our hotel, about a mile from the ocean around noon on NYE. What are the good places to party? Looking for some place near the beach maybe, not too upscale, 3-5 dollar beers would be nice. Also, if we could walk from our Days Inn on Atlantic that would be optimal.

Thanks!!

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
The Gator Bowl sold out in 2 hours, so you won't be getting tickets unless you pay for extra on the street for them.

Not sure what kinda partying you like to do (ie, bar or club), but for a casual restuart/bar areas you have Caribee with roof top bar, Ragtimes, Ocean One Lounge ( kinda upscale), and Lemon Bar, a causal beach-front bar........all in one area, where Atlantic Beach & Neptune Beach meet.

There are other places too in that area, but I think that's the major ones. Though if go a mile down the road or so there are other pockets as well.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM

250 posts, read 706,248 times
dude, rent a car or a cab and go to The Landing downtown. it's the only place New Years to be. and if that's the same weekend as the Gator Bowl, then it will be crazy. be sure to bring ID cause they card at the landing on NYE. it's free though. at least i think it's still free. i can't imagine them charging to get into the mall. i know you said near the beach. however, there is nothing going on at the beaches that will even compare to NYE at The Landing. It's one of the few things that i think jacksonville is superior in when it comes to most cities.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
On top of everything else at The Landing on NYE, there are the fireworks, too.

New Year's Eve December 31, 2009

Old 12-10-2009, 07:26 AM

Checked out the Landing site you posted here and the official web site itself. Looks like it is the best choice for NYE. We do have a rental, so we will either use that and then cab back or just cab both ways. Sounds like a good time, thanks!!

G Man

Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 AM

now a rental from the beaches can get terribly expensive. but you don't now jville it maybe worth it. traffic will be crazy going towards downtown. make sure you call and get a price ahead of time for both ways. if you drive bring a GPS if you have it. if not use mapquest (best to do everything before you even leave to get here). Anyway, the best thing to do will probably be to park at the garage that is located just off of I-95 (it's actually visible from interstate). then take the train.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvingme23 View Post
now a rental from the beaches can get terribly expensive. but you don't now jville it maybe worth it. traffic will be crazy going towards downtown. make sure you call and get a price ahead of time for both ways. if you drive bring a GPS if you have it. if not use mapquest (best to do everything before you even leave to get here). Anyway, the best thing to do will probably be to park at the garage that is located just off of I-95 (it's actually visible from interstate). then take the train.
I'm flying to JAX and getting my rental there. Got a good deal on it. We land at like 11 Am - noon so im debating whether to head to the beach for a while and check in to our hotel or just go straight to downtown. Like i said, with it being NYE once we drive down there and park we probably will need a cab back to the hotel and then get a way to our car the next day. I always use Mapquest so i'm good on that.

Can you tell me the best places to pick up the train, possibly give me a link to their website? That would help a lot.

G Man

Old 12-10-2009, 05:45 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
There are a number of bars & clubs (10 or so) well with-in walking distance of the Landing that you'll enjoy as well........on the way from E. Bay Street to E. Forsyth.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Train in Jax??? No such thing. The closest we have is the Skyway which is a monorail type of transit with a very limited route and limited schedule. It will run on NYE from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m.
Schedules (http://www.jtafla.com/Schedules/showPage.aspx?Sel=105&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport= 1 - broken link)

This is the link to the brochure in pdf. Page two has a map - the Skyway route is noted in black and it doesn't actually go to The Landing itself, but it's a short walk:
http://www.jtafla.com/pdf/October520...20brochure.pdf

Old 12-12-2009, 11:10 AM

right what mawipafl said. it's a skyway. i just generalized as a train. well, i will put it to you like this. if you go to the hotel first and comeback to downtown then you wouldn't get to downtown till way late in the afternoon. probably missing the parade and daytime activities. fortunately these shouldn't be the highlight of the parties. if you go straight to downtown then prepare to be there ALL night as you wouldn't want to miss the party and most of all Fireworks at midnight. personally that's a longtime to be out for me so i would just go to the hotel first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville