Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:53 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,337 times

Advertisements

I'd like your opinion on the following country clubs:

Cimarrone Golf and Country Club
Golf Club at South Hampton
St. Johns Golf and Country Club
Champion's Club at Julington Creek
Palm Valley Golf Club
Deerwood Country Club
Deercreek Country Club

Mind you, I haven't been to any of these. I've been looking at google map and became interested in these clubs. Are they expensive? Do you have to be a resident to sign up? Dues / Fees? Just trying to get a ballpark figure on these clubs.

Aside from golf, do they have tennis courts? Racquetball courts? Badminton courts? Swimming pools?

Which do you like most? Least ?

Also, I've tried to search for the zipcode for Switzerland and Fruit Cove. I think I saw them in one of the posts but can't find it now.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I'd like your opinion on the following country clubs:

Cimarrone Golf and Country Club
Golf Club at South Hampton
St. Johns Golf and Country Club
Champion's Club at Julington Creek
Palm Valley Golf Club
Deerwood Country Club
Deercreek Country Club

Mind you, I haven't been to any of these. I've been looking at google map and became interested in these clubs. Are they expensive? Do you have to be a resident to sign up? Dues / Fees? Just trying to get a ballpark figure on these clubs.

Aside from golf, do they have tennis courts? Racquetball courts? Badminton courts? Swimming pools?

Which do you like most? Least ?

Also, I've tried to search for the zipcode for Switzerland and Fruit Cove. I think I saw them in one of the posts but can't find it now.

Thanks very much!

most of those clubs have their own websites, try googling them and I am sure many of your questions can be answered

Old 05-23-2007, 02:06 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Most, if not all of these are not what I'd consider "real" country clubs - these are developer clubs - developments where a country club (golf course, etc.) was built into the neighborhood.

If you're looking to join a country club, you might want to look into the Timuquana Country Club or the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club.

Timuquana would probably be my first choice. If you lived in Ortega or Avondale it would be very convenient. It's a nice old-style club right on the river.

Ponte Vedra is a big club and it's right in the beach, so it's a different kind of feel, and also very nice.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Most, if not all of these are not what I'd consider "real" country clubs - these are developer clubs - developments where a country club (golf course, etc.) was built into the neighborhood.
I don't know why you don't like "developer" clubs, I live in and belong to Sawgrass which was built as a developer club, I believe it to be a world class club.
While the point that I am sure you were trying to make is that all clubs aren't equal is valid, the OP does need to find out what club suits his needs.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I don't know why you don't like "developer" clubs, I live in and belong to Sawgrass which was built as a developer club, I believe it to be a world class club.
While the point that I am sure you were trying to make is that all clubs aren't equal is valid, the OP does need to find out what club suits his needs.
The developer clubs have the amenities, if that's all the OP is after, they should be fine, but if the OP is after the networking and country club lifestyle, then the OP might want to look into true country clubs.

Country Clubs are, or at least were, a lifestyle. In the last few decades developers began plunking them down to bring a more upscale aspect to their developments......nothing wrong with it, it's just different.

Sawgrass is one of the nicer ones, I agree.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,337 times
Thank you both for your opinions.

Obviously, I looked at the various country club sites before posting here. Your personal opinions are more valuable for me than the country club websites.

The reason I asked for your opinions is that I plan to rent for a few months before buying a house. We plan to scout through the neighborhoods that we'd like to buy a house at. We prefer non-gated communities. That's why I'd like more personal information on the more "traditional" country clubs, as riveree mentioned, wherein you don't have to be a home owner in the development.

Ideally, we'd like a club that has a pool (I know, they probably all have one! ), and tennis/racquetball/badminton courts, cause we like racquet sports. You know, a place where my family can hangout with friends almost all day, play, have lunch and dinner at, etc....

Any personal experience with the clubs would be informative.

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:57 AM

895 posts, read 4,248,514 times
Why don't you wait and see where you end up buying a house. If you join a club around San Jose and live at the beaches, that's going to be a trek. I would definitely go tour each club you're interested in, utilize the pass they offer and check it out for yourself. I think it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and your financial situation. The Inn and Club in PV costs around $22K to join plus yearly fees. It's a beautiful club and my friends who are members love the tennis, swimming and beach. But the membership fee is nonrefundable and you have to make sure you're going to get $22K out of it. The difference between something like the Inn and Deerwood or Deercreek or even Cimarrone comes down to amenities, cost and the beach.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Chris Slattery is at Deercreek. We just held a golf tournament there and I can't say enough about him. He is very responsive and enthusiastic. Why not giver him a call and speak with him.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 PM

196 posts, read 574,333 times
We relocated here just last month and bought at St. John's Golf & Country Club. We just joined the golf club yesterday. My husband enjoyed the course - enough to join... But I can't tell you much else except everyone I have encountered over there has been very helpful.

Joining the Golf Club only gives you access to the golf course and club. The pool, tennis, fitness center etc. is for residents, so the way I understand it, you have to live here to get access to the other stuff. The golf, you can join and not be a resident.

We thought it was VERY reasonable to join, but we are from Chicago where it is very expensive to golf. All things are relative!

Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,514 times
Congratulations!! I've met a bunch of people who live at St. John's Golf & Country and it appears to be a nice, young, close knit community. I even met a couple who like it there so much, they're selling their house and have bought a larger house one street over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville