Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 PM

19 posts, read 57,571 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Seattle, Washington (State). I’ve lived here most of my life, and the other half in British Columbia, Canada. I’m working as a Dental Assistant, and I currently live with roommates who I‘ve known for years. I don’t know much about the area, just what the weather can be like. I have done some research for job search and how much apartments are in Jacksonville area. I went to Tampa last December, it’s beautiful there, but I want to live up north. I’m planning on moving around July.
If I relocate over there, I’d like to live as far East as Madison, North as Valdosta GA, West as Jacksonville, and South as Alachua. So basically along Hyw 10 and 75. I need to start in a large area, so Jacksonville will do. Before I move up there I’d need to finish getting my Driver’s license and Florida state requirements to work as a Dental Assistant. I don’t know if I want to use the internet to find a roommate, or just try and live on my own. I also need to figure how I’m going to find work down there, It’s not like I can fly down for interviews really…
I could use any helpful information, over the next few months I’ll be doing research before I try and relocate. I’m also willing to find any regular job to earn money until I’m able to find a position in dentistry, I hear finding a job down there can be hard. Yet I’m confident it won’t take me long, I have 7 yrs experience in the field, and I’ve never been without a job for longer than 3 months. Of course I’ll have enough money saved up to last me quite a while just incase.
Let me know if you want to know more, or if you have any helpful suggestions for my situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM

44 posts, read 113,270 times
I'm doing the exact opposite this summer. Heading from Jacksonville to Seattle.

My advice to you (which follows what I'm doing myself), is to keep an eye on job listings, and rental listings (craigslist, etc). It'll give you a round-about idea of what the job and housing market is like. If you know anyone in the area, solicit their opinions of any rental unit that catches your eye (If you find any apartments, houses, etc feel free to PM me the info and I'll give you my opinion of the area it's in). Also, put as much money in savings as you can. Try to save up 6-8 months worth of living expenses, so that you're not desperately searching for a job the moment you get here. That way you can take a little time and find something that's right for you. It'll also afford you the luxury of taking a little time to get familiar with the new area, and learn the layout casually, instead of doing so while frantically trying to find your way to the location of your job interview.
Without knowing anything about you, or your social life, I have to forewarn you that compared to a place like Seattle or Vancouver (or even Tampa), Jacksonville can be a very dull place.
Jacksonville is also very spread out. It's possible to drive upwards of 45 minutes, and not leave the city limits. So be prepared to drive everywhere.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,244,583 times
"I have to forewarn you that compared to a place like Seattle or Vancouver (or even Tampa), Jacksonville can be a very dull place.
Jacksonville is also very spread out. It's possible to drive upwards of 45 minutes, and not leave the city limits. So be prepared to drive everywhere."

- not if you live in one of the very walkable, vibrant Historic neighborhoods that surrond Downtown (Riverside, Avondale, San Marco & Springfield). Always lots to do there, and lots to walk/bike to.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

- not if you live in one of the very walkable, vibrant Historic neighborhoods that surrond Downtown (Riverside, Avondale, San Marco & Springfield). Always lots to do there, and lots to walk/bike to.
I live in Avondale.
While one can find things to do here, it ain't no Capitol Hill.

You can get around Riverside and Avondale just fine with a bike. However, without a car you're more or less trapped in your neighborhood, as public transit here is laughable, at best.

The point that I'm trying to convey to the OP is that it's not like Seattle, or even Tampa (which the OP mentioned as a previous visited place in FL). Get used to sprawl. I know a handful of people who live up in Seattle and don't own cars. I also know people here who don't own them. The primary difference between the two is that the former can get around just fine, the latter are always asking "Hey man can you pick me up?".
It's definitely much easier to find a parking spot in Jacksonville though.

Drive 45 minutes from Seattle and you're in the Cascades. Drive 45 minutes here and you're on the other side of town.

I'm not a "Jacksonville sucks!" person, so don't take what I say as an attempt at warning the OP off from moving here. I'm just trying to present Yorukosan with some of the major differences between the two cities, that are most likely going to be the cause of culture shock relocating here from there (get used to the Confederate battle flag, and truck nuts too! ).
Seattle and Jacksonville are drastically different places.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 57,571 times
Yeah, I'm planning on saving up enough money for at least 6 months of living expenses. I have an account on roomates.com and looking for people to possibly move-in with. Also people to try and get to know so I have some connections. I have a friend who goes to college over there on the west outskirts of Jax, but she lives in a dorm. The rest of her family lives in between Perry/Jasper... And there’s Nothing out there. Without a Job, I don't think I can apply for an apartment, usually you need proof of income for that... So roommate, or extended stay hotel is what I'm left with.
I want to make sure I make it there, so I want to make sure I get a job a.s.a.p I would think that since all my job experience is in Seattle, and since I'll be looking for any job including Dentistry. But most of my jobs have been dentistry, people maybe not so quick to hire me over someone who has experience in the area. Although I do have 7+ years in the field, yet I still have to pay out $600-900 I think to get the test and stuff I need to pass to be able to work there.
I'm 25, Mixed Black/white. I'm not your average black person, you could say. I like mostly Rock/metal/indust/ music. My hobbies include belly dance, cooking, anime, cosplaying, gaming, stuff like that. I'm not too much into being loud, or the nightlife scene. I'm quite, professional, and I set goals, and set out to achieve them. Actually, I made some acquaintances on roommates, and there black... so are most of there friends... I don't really fit in here in Seattle with that, so I don't think I will there ether... I wonder what the difference will be, if any.
I know I'd need a car... I don't have a license here. I had tried to start driving, and never finished cause I work downtown. Parking would have been a pain anyways, why when you can just take a bus? But if I want to get anywhere there, I need to. I don't know if I should get a license here, then there. And if I should buy a cheap car when I get to Jax, or rent? What about taking a cab while I look?
This is something I feel I have to do. If I moved anywhere, it would have it's up's and down's I'm sure. At least it's warmer there, although I hate when it's warmer than 85 here, but there's air conditioning, and I'd have it in my car, it's not like I'd be walking or on a hot bus. And I hate natural disasters. Earthquakes are unpredictable. I wouldn't think you guys get big hurricane up there, since your north. Jondoe, I'd like it if I could give you some apt names to give me opinions about though, to get places up here, the cheapest are like $500 and those are BAD Getto places... I've seen places on for rent that start at that price that look decent, I get the price of living down there is cheaper, but there must be a catch.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Sure, no problem. Just shoot me a PM on here.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM

459 posts, read 1,412,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post
I live in Avondale.
While one can find things to do here, it ain't no Capitol Hill.

You can get around Riverside and Avondale just fine with a bike. However, without a car you're more or less trapped in your neighborhood, as public transit here is laughable, at best.

The point that I'm trying to convey to the OP is that it's not like Seattle, or even Tampa (which the OP mentioned as a previous visited place in FL). Get used to sprawl. I know a handful of people who live up in Seattle and don't own cars. I also know people here who don't own them. The primary difference between the two is that the former can get around just fine, the latter are always asking "Hey man can you pick me up?".
It's definitely much easier to find a parking spot in Jacksonville though.

Drive 45 minutes from Seattle and you're in the Cascades. Drive 45 minutes here and you're on the other side of town.

I'm not a "Jacksonville sucks!" person, so don't take what I say as an attempt at warning the OP off from moving here. I'm just trying to present Yorukosan with some of the major differences between the two cities, that are most likely going to be the cause of culture shock relocating here from there (get used to the Confederate battle flag, and truck nuts too! ).
Seattle and Jacksonville are drastically different places.
jondoe - dont bother trying to explain yourself. fsu has never lived outside of jax and cant comprehend or even simply entertain the notion that it is extremely boring there compared to an actual metropolitan city. carry on...

Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 PM

23 posts, read 56,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
jondoe - dont bother trying to explain yourself. fsu has never lived outside of jax and cant comprehend or even simply entertain the notion that it is extremely boring there compared to an actual metropolitan city. carry on...
I dont know about that, Jimbo. If everybody had the same taste as you for where they want to live, we would all be in Chicago with you right now freezing our butts off and sliding all over the place. The point is that everyone is different, some people are bored living in Jax and other people are not. This is coming from a man that lived in big cities and small. Because I was bored in a city did not mean that everybody else was bored too. Carry on ...

BTW, no shot at Ch, it's cold as hell here in DC too.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:57 PM

459 posts, read 1,412,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneParker View Post
I dont know about that, Jimbo. If everybody had the same taste as you for where they want to live, we would all be in Chicago with you right now freezing our butts off and sliding all over the place. The point is that everyone is different, some people are bored living in Jax and other people are not. This is coming from a man that lived in big cities and small. Because I was bored in a city did not mean that everybody else was bored too. Carry on ...

BTW, no shot at Ch, it's cold as hell here in DC too.
no offense taken, but do a quick search of FSU's post to gain helpful insight. i lived in jax 28yrs and would tell anyone coming from a larger city that they are gonna experience culture shock. the OP mentions being 25, so i am warning them that they will indeed be bored coming from seattle. its not brain science i am talking here.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,217,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
"I have to forewarn you that compared to a place like Seattle or Vancouver (or even Tampa), Jacksonville can be a very dull place.
Jacksonville is also very spread out. It's possible to drive upwards of 45 minutes, and not leave the city limits. So be prepared to drive everywhere."

I would say that Any place can be a Dull Place....especially if the person is dull. It's your perception that's dull, not the location.

You can create plenty of your own excitement in Jacksonville, and this is a great city on the rise. I don't know, the awesome offshore and inshore fishing, boating, great restaurants, a pro NFL team (very taken for granted right now), Hannah Park for camping right next to the ocean, Adventure Landing for the kids, St. Augustine which is only a 30 min. drive and a beautiful historical attraction that people visit from all over the world, the beaches full of bikini clad babes 75% of the year...........wait......you're right......man I'm moving......I can take all this boring stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville