Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Sorry to throw in a negative aspect, but "The Shores" area used to be nice but has deteriorated a lot during the time I have lived in St. Augustine (over 15 years but not in the Shores, thankfully). That's not to say that you won't find something that suits you, but check that area out VERY carefully.
I don't know if deteriorated "a lot" is an accurate description, but I would concede that maybe it has deteriorated "a bit".

Still, whatever "deterioration" it has undergone is very, very benign as "deterioration's" go. Most of it seems to be contingent on the area seeming to have an uptick in rentals. The Shores still has a very high owner-occupancy rate, but "Housemania 2002-2007" did disrupt some of the traditional community metrics, which seems to have resulted in an increase in renters over the past year and while not all renters are misbehaved scum, most all misbehaved scum are renters.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to live there, especially in the deeper phases more towards the back. The front areas (where the modulars are) have always been lower income and the older homes towards the front seem to have a bit more in the way of 'front-porch-beer-drinkers' than the more upscale parts towards the rear, but even the 'worst' part of the Shores isn't really 'bad' by any stretch and if I was a single mom in St. Augustine who didn't make much money and wanted to raise my kids in a decent place, that's precisely where I'd go. Good area that offers a TON of value, relative to what you get, though. A few months back, I started seeing deals there on houses that almost inspired me to fly down and buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:37 PM

206 posts, read 573,909 times
This is an old thread...but people who are researching will probably stumble upon it...so I thought an update was warranted This of course is only my opinion...I am not a realtor or real estate professional.
I bought a little house in the older section of the Shores for my son. I did so based on my research on these Forums...was assured it was a lovely community and it is.
As with many places, the recession had a bad effect on the area with many foreclosures and rentals making it look unkempt, especially in the front. I am happy to say though, that there is a definite turn around going on here. You can see lots of people buying for owner occupied and taking pride in the neighborhood again. I myself am looking for my own house here.
So I give the shores a big thumbs up. I have heard though that the Conquistador apartments did take a turn for the worse....and has a lot of rentals and police activity....if it were not for that....I would consider buying there because the views are stunning.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
I am not aware of deterioration of the living environment at the Conquistador Condos. I know several people who live there: 1 is full-time owner resident, 1 is part-time owner resident and the other has rented there for a handful of years. All three love it there and feel that the HOA does a good job of maintaining the property. If you are interested in learning the type and number of police calls to the area, the St Johns County Sheriff's Office will give you the info you are looking for if you call their non-emergency number.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 PM

206 posts, read 573,909 times
Thank you. I am sorry if I misspoke.... I know there are several buildings in there....one bad neighbor can turn others sour.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
Auntbeebe: I know you may find this hard to believe, but the Conquistador Condos are quite a large community. There are 114 buildings there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville