Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:35 AM

154 posts, read 323,888 times

Advertisements

I have quite a history living in Jacksonville. The US Navy first brought me there in the mid-sixties. When I finished with my military hitch, I returned to Colorado to finish college. I moved back to Jacksonville in the early seventies and spent most of the decade there. I went back out west for career reasons and lived the next 25 years in California and Colorado. In 2002, at age 57 I returned to Jacksonville to finish up my working career. Jacksonville had changed quite a bit and was much more sophisticated than I remembered it in 1970's.

I always liked the friendly, downhome, southern ambience of Jacksonville as well as the beauty of the trees, waterways, beaches, and rural element. When I returned in 2002, I was glad that the same friendly, small town feel of Jacksonville was still present. Jacksonville is what it is and every town has its own personality. Sure, downtown has much improvement to be done to be appealing for youngsters, but I would not want Jacksonville to be LA, Denver, Dallas, Chicago or fill in the blank with the city of your choice. The activites are present there, but one has to search a little harder in Jacksonville. I certainly never had any lack of things to do there.

I no longer live in the US, as I am retired in Latin America, but I like to keep up with my Jacksonville. I read this forum a lot. If I ever return to the US, I will live in "The Bold New City of the South."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Welcome to the forum Michael !

Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Welcome! If you make it back this way, give us a heads up and we'll have a CD pizza get together.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Thank you, guys and I think I can give quite a few helpful suggestions to those who are wanting to move to Jacksonville. I am familiar with a lot of the areas on Southside as well as Mandarin. I drove a taxi my last 3 years there and I have a good knowledge of the apartment complexes. I have moved quite a bit in my life and it's my belief that when someone moves to a new town they must be flexible, positive, and put their best foot forward. With the right attitude, a person can make it anywhere.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,909 times
How is "The Woods" in zip 32246? Ive been looking at a few neighborhoods in that zip code in preparation for a move to Jax in the spring. Anything you could impart would be valuable!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM

I would say that The Woods area off Atlantic Blvd before you reach Hodges is a nice residential area. Mostly 1990's through 2005 construction dates. It is a safe area with shopping centers and a Wal-Mart nearby. Atlantic Blvd can be very congested at times, but it still moves pretty fast. I can't give you too much information on schools there. About 15 minutes from the Beaches area and Mayport Naval Base. If you are going downtown the weekday commute could be brutal due to crossing The Matthews Bridge. Not a bad commute to Southside area It's definitely surburbia, but if a person finds a good deal on a house there, I would say take it. Do you have any more specifics such as a street name, or what your're looking for? Where you will be working, etc?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 PM

64 posts, read 225,672 times
Hi Michael! Thank you for sharing. I made a post recently, but came across yours and thought you would be a good person to ask.
I am from NJ but always wanted to move down to FL. After doing some research, the Jacksonville are sounds like a really nice place to settle. I don't really know too much about the surrounding area and towns though. I am looking for a nice, family town with good school, year-round activities, an artsy kinda town, with hopefully a Whole Foods or some other healthy supermarket nearby, within an hours drive to the city. Do you know of any nice neighborhoods that match my criteria?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM

250 posts, read 706,319 times
maybe this result is a little salty but the person who is praising jax so much is 60+ and doesn't even live here. maybe if i were an older visitor i would appreciate it more i guess, but jax needs alot of redirection.

jennkarma, you best locations for health food stores are
295 and san jose area Whole Foods, Native Sun, Fresh Mart (much further away), other grocery stores include Super Walmart, Winn Dixie and Publix. this area is very developed full of subdivisions and apartment complexes.
baymeadows and 9A Native Sun, other grocery stores include Publix, Winn Dixie. this area is newer and still being developed constantly.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM

64 posts, read 225,672 times
Thank you

Old 01-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Jenn,
Luvingme23 is correct with the assessment that Mandarin or Baymeadows would be a good fit for you. I do not live in Jax any longer as I moved away in 2008, but I think you should give it a try even for a 2 week visit. The positives outweigh the negatives. I think a person 60+ appreciates mostly everything more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville