Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:28 PM

69 posts, read 183,255 times

Advertisements

So, we're waiting on Hubby's orders to King's Bay, GA and we plan on living in JAX. The school we want to send our kids to (5 & 3) is Christ the King Catholic School. Does anyone have any experiences with that school or heard anything about it? Or the church or daycare, for that matter?

I'm looking for houses to rent (or if we can find a STEAL for under $200K, we might buy) in 32211, which I believe is considered Arlington. Are there any areas that we should stay away from or one's that are pretty good?

Also, i'm looking for a Gov't job (or Gov't Contractor to start, if I have to) that is also close to that area. I saw that a few blocks away from the school there was a Defense Department Building, but I can't find any website or additional info on it. Can anyone help me out?

Sorry so many questions, I'm just getting antsy and I need to start looking at the area to keep myself sane

THANKS!
Nicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
I have a friend who has children attending that school and she teaches there.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 AM

28 posts, read 99,405 times
I don't think you want to live in Arlington. Lots of crime there. Why don't you consider St. Mary's? It's beautiful there and the public schools are very good. They are redoing the elementary school so next year there will be a brand new, beautiful building right in downtown St. Mary's.

You'll have to drive for major shopping into Jax but your husband's commute will be miniscule.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 AM

150 posts, read 577,177 times
32211 is not a great area of town. I have heard that Christ the King is a good school, but it is not in a good area so if you are in love with the school, I probably wouldn't look for homes all that near to it.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM

402 posts, read 1,056,050 times
Why would you want to live in Jax if hes going to be working in Kings Bay? Thats a long commute, almost an hour. St. Marys is a much nicer area to live in than arlington and has much better schools, you can save the money on the private school and put the kids in public school there.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:48 PM

69 posts, read 183,255 times
We're not going to put our kids in public schools, so that's not really an issue. I want to live in FL because it's closer to friends & family and I can get FL rate APs to Disney for the kids & I. This will be the only time in our lives that we can go to Disney whenever we want and I plan to take FULL advantage of it. My co-worker's mom lives in JAX and she also said that Arlington is not good... So I guess I'll keep looking. Another reason for us to move to JAX is that I could get a better job in the city (and I love being in a city versus near nothing), so I would've had to be the one doing all the driving if we lived up there. We considered Yulee, but have decided on Duval County... back to the drawing board...

If anyone else hears good things about any of the other Catholic schools, please let me know!

THANKS,
Nicki

Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
If you aren't set on a neighborhood of new homes, Grove Park would be my choice. It is an older, established family neighborhood that is not too far from the school. I love the neighborhood and would move there myself if I could. It's considered southside, I think.

You could find a house to rent for a year while you get the lay of the land before buying. Your husband could jump on 9A and go over the Dames Point Bridge to Kings Bay and it would be pretty central for you.

I have an acquaintance that is happy with San Jose Catholic, but don't know too much about either school.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM

154 posts, read 324,016 times
I concur with HIF, Grove Park would be a great option not too far from Christ the King School. I hope you've got lots of money for gas for you husband's commute.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Another place to look at would be Fort Caroline. Fort Caroline is directly north of the area you're looking at and it's close to 9A for commuting. It's a very nice, quiet, well-treed area. The zip is 32225.

I would also consider the Empire Point neighborhood in the Saint Nicolas area, zip 32207.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Oh, yeah....the Fort Caroline area is nice.

I agree with St. Nicholas, too. That is one very cool thing about Jax- lots of enclaves of very neat neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville