Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 01:50 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times

Advertisements

Is everyone okay? Anyone suffer any damage?

I know out here in Oakleaf everything I can see looks good.....now granted I haven't driven anywhere, but the kids got home on time....it was pretty dark and windy for a bit, but I think the majority of the storm passed to the south of us, but just barely......

hope everyone is okay!!

amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
All good over here, just a lot of rain .

Middleburg got some damage though.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM

27 posts, read 58,764 times
hi Amy! as another Oakleaf resident, I can say all is fine, now... but boy was I scared earlier! we just moved here and I was totally caught off guard with this tornado watch thing... soooo scary!! does this happen often here? my daughter is in 8th grade at Oakleaf JHS and she said it was a first for them there, they've had drills but not the real thing...? have you lived here long? any advice? thanks! Monica

Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniAZmom View Post
hi Amy! as another Oakleaf resident, I can say all is fine, now... but boy was I scared earlier! we just moved here and I was totally caught off guard with this tornado watch thing... soooo scary!! does this happen often here? my daughter is in 8th grade at Oakleaf JHS and she said it was a first for them there, they've had drills but not the real thing...? have you lived here long? any advice? thanks! Monica
It happens more on your side of the river, unfortunately. The tornado damage is usually small though, not major devastation. There's not much you do about tornadoes. Supposedly, if there's one coming your way, you'll hear a sound like a freight train.

But yeah, they usually come from the west and break up on the river.

I prefer hurricanes, at least we get a week's notice .

Old 01-22-2010, 07:02 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
We have been living here for a year this month. Tornado's do happen here, just not as much as in some other parts of the U.S.. I guess some new folks didn't know that. Just after we moved into our apartment, here close to The Avenues (95/Southside Blvd), some neighbors told us that about 5 years ago a funnel cloud was seen forming right over the complex......didn't touch down though. Last year, June 27th/5PM, two large weather systems collided close to downtown Jax that created a waterspout over the St. John's River that lots of folks seen. There was even a funnel cloud that had formed right over downtown Jax that local news showed a photo of. That funnel cloud did not touch ground though....."Thank you Lord!". My wife was on the Fuller-Warren Bridge when the waterspout was forming over the river. I was talking to her on the cell and watching the thing "live" on tv. She had never seen a waterspout and it scared the "bageebees" out of her! During the same storm, a lightning bolt struck a tree in the parking lot right next to our apartment. Big, big flash of light and crash of thunder......scared the "bageebees" out of me!!
So, the storms here in Florida can/do get pretty wicked!
Don't want to scare you, but that is Florida weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniAZmom View Post

Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times
we haven't lived here long......since end of august.

it was the first time I have been in weather in a LOOOOOOOONG time. Hawaii just doesn't get storms like this....

My youngest is a first grader and he was scared....I felt bad for him when he got home he just talked about it all night long. His bedroom is all the way on the other side of the house and I got quite a few visits from him last night. I told my husband that this summer if we get bad weather we might as well blow up the air mattress and let him sleep in our room.

amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville