Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 PM

154 posts, read 323,331 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why Jacksonville has such an aversion to car pooling. I'm not just picking on good ole Jax, but I could say the same about mostly any metropolitan area in the US. When I lived in Jacksonville I seemed to see more of its share of the proverbial one passenger per car during rush hour. I once mentioned to a fellow co-worker and got an extremly lame excuse about why he couldn't do it.

I can't understand why this is such a foreign concept to The First Coast. Why would someone not want to drastically reduce their monthly gasoline bill and vehicle depreciation? Why would someone not want to make a few friends while car pooling and have someone to chat with on a roadway that would be much less congested which interprets into a commute involving less time? Cleaner air? Well that's a given. It's a WIN, WIN, WIN!

And finally, doesn't the US's dependence on foreign oil concern you a little bit? What about the $4.00/gallon gasoline prices in 2008? I promise you it will happen again.

The Jacksonville Transportation Authority has a lot to be desired, but wouldn't car pooling be better than the JTA? Someone would pick you up at your front door or vice versa and take you to the front door of where you work. I'm not saying that all car poolers need to have their vehicles loaded to the gills with other people, but if just two people car pooled in a vehicle the impact would be dramatic.

I think that City-Data Forum could be an excellent way for potential car poolers to find each other, or the Pizza Party that happens from time to time. Why not make a statment to the greedy oil companies? Let Jacksonville lead the US as an environmentally friendly city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,481,531 times
Um, why do the oil companies have to be referred to as "greedy"? Do you even know what their actual profit margin is?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,399,326 times
How about being the first city to pass a 4-day workweek law?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:41 PM

622 posts, read 1,661,859 times
What about people who dont like to share their cars or space? What if they want to go the gym afterwards and dont feel like shuttling people around? For some, driving to work is their only quiet time of the day.

It may be politically incorrect, but I'd much rather spend the $2.50 a gallon and drive to work by myself, and have the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever, without having to concern myself with someone elses schedule.. just sayin.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 PM

154 posts, read 323,331 times
Welcome to Jacksonville, Maria, blessings to you.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,479,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Um, why do the oil companies have to be referred to as "greedy"? Do you even know what their actual profit margin is?
Exxon made $45 Billion in profit last year. I'd day thats a pretty good margin, wouldn't you.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM

402 posts, read 1,053,563 times
tough city to do that in since its so spread out. Is it impossible? No but tough.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 34,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Exxon made $45 Billion in profit last year. I'd day thats a pretty good margin, wouldn't you.

That was profit NOT Profit margin... there is a BIG difference between the two.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,492,140 times
Quote:
not if I knew anything about finance.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,481,531 times
Quote:
OK, next question. Since you can quote their profit, can you tell us how much money they spent in order to make that profit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville