Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:51 PM

27 posts, read 162,305 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling to St Augustine next week. We plan on spending three days and I was wondering if anyone knows what would be a fun thing to do.

We are over 60 and my husband can't walk far. Short distance is ok. I saw a train that picks you up and takes you to several places. Anyone been on it? My husband would like to see the Golf Hall of Fame.

Would love to hear from you!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell2 View Post
We will be traveling to St Augustine next week. We plan on spending three days and I was wondering if anyone knows what would be a fun thing to do.

We are over 60 and my husband can't walk far. Short distance is ok. I saw a train that picks you up and takes you to several places. Anyone been on it? My husband would like to see the Golf Hall of Fame.

Would love to hear from you!
Thanks!
there are trains that do a circuit around town and you can get on and off anywhere you like, it's around $20, get one of the tourist books and they usually have $3 off coupons.
World Golf Village while calling itself ST Augustine, is actually quite far away from the historic part of the city, it is out off I95 about 10 miles northwest of town

Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
As Kort mentioned the Trolleys are great. Unless there's someone new in the game, there are 2 trolley companies in competition with each other: the Red Trolley Company and the Green Trolley Company.

The Trolley is well worth the money and will cover a lot of ground for you - you could easily fill up an entire day seeing the sights that the Trolley will take you on.

I also recommend the Ghost Tours, fun and lots of great history.

The Lightner Museum has a nice collection of Tiffany glass. Louis Comfort Tiffany made some of his earliest installations right there in St. Augustine (Flagler College has some gorgeous stained glass windows by Tiffany).

A nice leisurely lunch at A1A Aleworks, sitting on the second floor balcony overlooking the bay is a great way to spend some time. Really good food and they brew their own beer.

Save the World Golf Village for it's own day. You'll need to drive up I95 to get to it (20-25 mins or so), and once there you can see the PGA Hall of Fame, maybe take in an IMAX movie, shop at the golf stores, have lunch, some ice cream at Kilwin's (a local St. Augustine company.....great ice cream and sweets) and maybe take in golf (they have a really nice mini course too.....sort of an adult mini).

You'll have so much fun, there's a ton to do there!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
Default We loved St. Augustine...

however, skip July as it's hotter than you-know-where about then. If you can afford it, stay at one of the quaint and charming B&B inns. The Ghost Tours are fun as is the little trolley/train that rides around. No walking that way. Enjoy!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
As Kort mentioned the Trolleys are great. Unless there's someone new in the game, there are 2 trolley companies in competition with each other: the Red Trolley Company and the Green Trolley Company.

The Trolley is well worth the money and will cover a lot of ground for you - you could easily fill up an entire day seeing the sights that the Trolley will take you on.

I also recommend the Ghost Tours, fun and lots of great history.

The Lightner Museum has a nice collection of Tiffany glass. Louis Comfort Tiffany made some of his earliest installations right there in St. Augustine (Flagler College has some gorgeous stained glass windows by Tiffany).

A nice leisurely lunch at A1A Aleworks, sitting on the second floor balcony overlooking the bay is a great way to spend some time. Really good food and they brew their own beer.

Save the World Golf Village for it's own day. You'll need to drive up I95 to get to it (20-25 mins or so), and once there you can see the PGA Hall of Fame, maybe take in an IMAX movie, shop at the golf stores, have lunch, some ice cream at Kilwin's (a local St. Augustine company.....great ice cream and sweets) and maybe take in golf (they have a really nice mini course too.....sort of an adult mini).

You'll have so much fun, there's a ton to do there!
Thanks everyone for the information! It sure has been helpful. I am planning our trip using your help.

riveree,
Thank you for this great info. I had seen something about the ghost tour and thought it would be fun. Now I am sure we will do it.
Yes, the trolly or train is the best thing for us. Sounds like we would get to see just about everything on this tour. I do have a brouchre and have pick a few stops we would like.
The info on the World of Golf is wonderful. We had no idea they have a mini course. We would love that. At least now we know we need a whole day there.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:31 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,102 times
Don't miss the fried shrimp at O'Steens on Anastasia Island!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Forgot the winery!

Oh, one more great stop is the San Sebastian Winery....wine made from grapes grown right here in Florida (Muscadine grapes).

San Sebastian does free wine tasting tours through their new and huge facility and their wine is quite good.

I have not been to O-Steen's for fried shrimp.....I'll have to check that out on a future trip .

Old 05-27-2007, 05:55 PM

THANKS again! HMMMM fried shrimp and a stop for wine! Sounds good to me. I hope we have enough time for all this. We will have three whole days and one half day.

You folks have been great!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times
u cant miss the alligator farm. it is more of a tropical zoo, and right across the street is the lighthouse.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
u cant miss the alligator farm. it is more of a tropical zoo, and right across the street is the lighthouse.
Oh yeah! I forgot about these......they're great too.

Tinkerbell2, I think you're going to need to extend your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville