Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times

Advertisements

You nailed it.

1) I highly recommend not posting about areas that you're not familar with unless you advertise ignorance from the start.

2) Those links provided in post #5 chop up neighborhoods into segments and combine them with other neighborhoods, thus creating an inaccurate snap shot. Others divide information up by zip code, which is also arbitrary and not very helpful. I haven't found an accurate "neighborhood" website yet. That's why individual neighborhoods that have thier own, such as www.riverside-avondale.com and www.myspringfield.org are so helpful. Some more so than others. Or simply contacting local law enforcment.

I would also recommend subsrcibing to thier e-newletters to to see what's going in a particular neighborhood.

What street do you live on, btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM

402 posts, read 1,051,149 times
Its so funny that websites that show statistics are inaccurate yet some forum where all people have is opinions is accurate right? What a joke. http://spotcrime.com/fl/jacksonville This doesnt go by zip code, and if you go back a year, you can hardly see the map around where you live.

OP, you did your homework, and you did it well, you will find those areas to meet your needs.

Last edited by parks71; 02-16-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM

20 posts, read 64,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
You nailed it.

1) I highly recommend not posting about areas that you're not familar with unless you advertise ignorance from the start.

2) Those links provided in post #5 chop up neighborhoods into segments and combine them with other neighborhoods, thus creating an inaccurate snap shot. Others divide information up by zip code, which is also arbitrary and not very helpful. I haven't found an accurate "neighborhood" website yet. That's why individual neighborhoods that have thier own, such as www.riverside-avondale.com and www.myspringfield.org are so helpful. Some more so than others. Or simply contacting local law enforcment.

I would also recommend subsrcibing to thier e-newletters to to see what's going in a particular neighborhood.

What street do you live on, btw?
I think we are at the point now where we have a few different sets of statistics and can draw a general conclusion. We are going to contact local law enforcement and schools next.

The obvious next step will be to take a trip out there and scope out the area's. Fruit Cove and other area's in St. Johns, near the river have some nice houses and great schools, but so far it looks like the houses are right next to each other. Yulee might give us a better opportunity for a more private lot, but we will have to see when we get down that way...

If the stat.'s are accurate St. Johns (Fruit Cove) = mostly White collar, Yulee = mostly Blue Collar... I'm not too concerned about this...

Stat.'s are interesting though. I haven't actually looked at them in my own neiborhood in over 10 years.

How is the alligator situation? Do you typically see them all over, rarely? Are they at all bodies of water? I'm concerned about my 7 year old son being curious.

Lastly, do HOA fee's only pertain to gated communities?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM

Yulee will give you much more room. Gators are in most lakes but they dont mess with you. I take my kids wakeboarding and theres a lot of gators in the area and I have never had a problem. They are actually scared of humans. Snakes now is a different story and my advise is stay away from the water if you have kids. I cant count how many water moccasins I killed and one of those things killed my 140 pound dog. Yulee is a very small quiet type of town kinda in the woods, you are pretty far from anything happening but you get very low crime and great schools. By the way, I dont live there so this is an unbiased opinion but I used to work out there on a regular basis. Good luck with your decision.
HOA can be in any neighborhood, need to check on each one gated or not.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
Parks71,

The website you linked has previously shown non-existant crimes or crimes that took place somwehere else. Such as the one that described a homocide near the forest....in the middle of the city. Calling JSO (630-0500) and speaking to local officers is the best source of info by far.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post

Lastly, do HOA fee's only pertain to gated communities?

Actually, nearly all new communities have HOA fees whether they are gated or not.

We don't have a lot of gated communities here in NEFL. It's more common in South Florida to have gated communities, it's not so much the case here in North Florida. But if you end up in a gated community, you can pretty much count on HOA fees (and possibly more fees on top of that).

Nearly all of the newer communities - built in the last 10 or so years - will have an HOA. The fees might be as little as $200-$400 per year for a basic neighborhood with few frills.

Then you have the big developments. The ones with community pools and clubhouses and all that. These developments will usually have HOA fees and also CDD fees. These fees can be sliced and diced various ways and sometimes the HOA fee will be tucked under the CDD fee but either way, they add up. In these developments, you might be paying more along the lines of $2000, $3000, $4000 or more per year.

Some people will say you can write off the CDD fees on your taxes. Yes, some people do write them off on their taxes, but as I understand it, it's not a legal deduction. So I guess that would be between you and your accountant.

There's a lot more to HOAs than it can appear on the surface. You definitely want to be sure you understand what you're getting into with an HOA before signing on the dotted line.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info. on the gators and HOA's...

What do the HOA provide for a fee, if they don't offer pools, facilities, etc. Do they take care of the grounds, garbage, other? Is there a site that would best explain this in detail?

Would a community with a HOA fee be best described as a new housing development?

If that's the case, is it possible to have a custom home built in yulee on a lot to avoid these fee's.

Regarding Alligators and snakes... It was stated that they tend to frequent the lake areas. I would be mostly interested in beach areas, the bay and ocean. Would they be free from the Alligators and snakes? What about wooded areas? It was stated that Yulee is somewhat of a wooded area.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Most HOA just make sure everyone in the neighborhood keep their properties in check with the rules like shrubs no higher than so many feet, no beat up cars with flat tires in the yard, no commercial cars/vans, keep your yard mowed, dont paint your house purple, take the trash out, no boats in the front yard for a few examples.

Yulee does not lead to the beach. The more land you have the more chance of snakes however if there is no water around I wouldnt worry about it. Gators do not just go running around in the woods either.

If you buy the property and its zoned properly you dont have to pay those fees.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Yeah, I know Yulee doesn't lead to the beach. I want an area away from the beach for lower cost and reduced effect from storms. But close enough for a 20 min. commute to the beach. I was also hoping to get a 1/2 acre or so of property so the houses weren't right up against each other. That's what the houses I've seen so far in Fruite Cove looked like and I'm imagining that this is what a lot of the communities would be as well.

Ok, so if I'm not too close to direct water, the Gators will be much less likely to frequent my property. However, If I have a large lot near the woods, I may have an issue with snakes. Sounds like the one thing the communities would offer, would be less snakes, gators due to the congestion.

Gators like the lakes, but are they found in the rivers as well. I would imagine that certain types of snakes would be found in the rivers as well?

I wouldn't mind an HOA keeping the housing under basic control for a few hundred a year, but do they also have a huge list of rules that make it a hassle to live in a community like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville