Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,872 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old young professional woman moving to Jax from Chicago (living in near north for those who know the city) in May. I will be working Downtown and am debating between the Beaches and Riverside, as they seem like the two most interesting areas. I slightly prefer Riverside because of the commute and it seems like an artsy area where there are other young people (I really enjoy parks, independently owned shops, museums, etc). The only problem is I have a family member who currently lives in Atlantic Beach that tells me Riverside is completely unsafe (full of homeless, crackheads, muggings, breakins etc). Is safety a concern that should deter me from living there? I am definitely not willing to risk my safety for a short commute. Would you say the area is nice/walkable/full of young people?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 AM

353 posts, read 1,144,344 times
LOL... I think they have Riverside and Atlantic Beach mixed up.... the homeless crackheads are out at the beach...lol

Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 AM

76 posts, read 189,196 times
Is it unsafe? No. Will you see people of color? Yes.

Crime wise, it is very similar to the near north. Don't leave your house/car unlocked. It might get broken into anyway. Maybe. Just like the near north. Atlantic Beach has the same. Just fewer people of color.

The only advantage Atlantic Beach has over Riverside, imho, is the beach. If you want to go to the beach often, live there. The 30-40 minute commute to the beach from Riverside will prevent you from going often. If you work near downturn or on the southside, that commute from the beach is going to be a bear. You aren't used to that living in the near north.

At least no matter what you choose it'll be cheaper.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,597 times
Riverside is artsy & whatnot but both areas are equaly unsafe "/ The younger crowd is probably more of Riverside but Atlantic Beach & Jax Beach kinda merge into each other and Jax Beach is where a lot of nightlife is at. Tons of Beach Bars, restaurants & show venues. Both are fun, I prefer the beaches.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM

627 posts, read 1,292,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyWhite View Post
Is it unsafe? No. Will you see people of color? Yes.

Crime wise, it is very similar to the near north. Don't leave your house/car unlocked. It might get broken into anyway. Maybe. Just like the near north. Atlantic Beach has the same. Just fewer people of color.

The only advantage Atlantic Beach has over Riverside, imho, is the beach. If you want to go to the beach often, live there. The 30-40 minute commute to the beach from Riverside will prevent you from going often. If you work near downturn or on the southside, that commute from the beach is going to be a bear. You aren't used to that living in the near north.

At least no matter what you choose it'll be cheaper.
Wow.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,248,524 times
There are TONS of young single people that live in Riverside/Avondale.

Including my coworker, who's a 26 year old single female. Lives near 5 Points.

You have to be responsible of course (ie, lock your doors, see who it is before opening a door, don't go for a long walk alone in the middle of the night, etc) but nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 PM

44 posts, read 113,354 times
As a general rule of thumb, I'd look for places west of King, and south of Park. I'd view places north of Post with "extreme scrutiny".

Old 02-18-2010, 03:33 PM

8,890 posts, read 20,282,286 times
If I was in my 20's and single, it would definitely be the beach area! I've drove 23 miles each way to work before and to leave at the beach......I'd do it! Just think about three words.....Summer-Weekends-Beach and tons of FUN!! YAW!!
Fortunately I'm way beyond my 20's and married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hess18 View Post
Riverside is artsy & whatnot but both areas are equaly unsafe "/ The younger crowd is probably more of Riverside but Atlantic Beach & Jax Beach kinda merge into each other and Jax Beach is where a lot of nightlife is at. Tons of Beach Bars, restaurants & show venues. Both are fun, I prefer the beaches.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,248,524 times
Check out pages 22-23 in this month's "904 Magazine".

It mentions the walkable neighborhoods of Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, and parts of the Beaches as attracting young professionals: Jacksonville 904 February 2010

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM

459 posts, read 1,413,488 times
jez18 - you are in for some severe culture shock, haha. i used to live in jax and have been in chicago for several years (have lived in streeterville, LP, oldtown and now lakeview). the weather is definitely much better in jax, but the bar scene is much different. good luck to you. you will for sure miss the chicago summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville