Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 18,140 times

Advertisements

I am a recently retired single woman currently residing in the Northeast (NYC). I am considering relocating to Jacksonville, purchasing a townhouse at Greenbrier at Bartram Park. Seeking information and experiences about this community and development. Also would appreciate suggestions as to other desirable areas. My price range is between 175 - 250K. Shopping and medical facilities are important. All information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,507 times
That area is one of the finest in Jax. You must have been doing your homework. The beach is another place you can consider.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 18,140 times
Thank you for your quick response. All of my research has been on the internet. I do not understand your reference to "the beach". Specifically, what area are you referring to. Also do you have an opinion on the Forbes article which stated the Jacksonville rated the 3rd worst housing market in the country. My purchase is not for any short term investment and perhaps I need not concern myself about the article. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,497,944 times
You can buy in Greenbriar BELOW your target price range. The largest plan's base price is just shy of your $175k mark. It's great area, (I don't live too far from it) and certainly close to the new Baptist South Hospital as well as shopping and restaurants. Great location!

Old 02-20-2010, 02:39 PM

78 posts, read 243,314 times
We bought in Bartram Park last year, and we love it. We're not in Greenbriar, so I can't comment on it specifically, but I love the area. It's convenient to everything, and it's peaceful.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM

870 posts, read 2,178,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
You can buy in Greenbriar BELOW your target price range. The largest plan's base price is just shy of your $175k mark. It's great area, (I don't live too far from it) and certainly close to the new Baptist South Hospital as well as shopping and restaurants. Great location!
Yes, that is a great location. Easy to get on the interstate, close to shopping, including the Avenues Mall.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,595 times
They may have called it the 3rd worst housing market because they way over built. There was a condo boom...the prices got drove sky high...and developers starting building tons of condos. Then, the market fell...and has continued to decrease. The demand was not as big as the supply, combined with the current state of the economy. However, if you plan on being in your townhouse or condo for a long period of time this may not end up concerning you. If you plan to sell within a year or two, I'd be pretty wary. Because there are tons of empty new condos that have not been sold yet. So why would someone buy your lived in condo when they could buy a new one? However, if you are going to stay for a while, this might actually benefit you, because you can currently purchase a townhouse or condo for much much cheaper.

I live in the southside area so I cannot really comment on what it is like to live in Batram. I have only been out there a few times, it seems nice. However, I don't know of any real desireable shopping that's immediately right there. Avenues Mall is pretty close and it is basically your typical mall (I'm a single 25 year old female so I know the shopping!). Avenues Mall is pretty standard, it has lady footlocker, victoria's secret, dillards, belk, starbucks, ann taylor, the limited, banana republic, express, new york and company, lane bryant...etc. Well here's a link that should help you: The Avenues - Jacksonville, FL 32256 | Simon Malls

You should also do a little internet research on St. John's Town Center (we just call it Town Center here). This mall is way better. It has EVERYTHING. Its huge. There are tons of great restaurants like Maggiano's, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Cantina Laredo, etc. There is a DSW, Super Target, Ross, Dress Barn (a bunch of big shops), and there's all the clothing, home decor, makeup, bookstore, all kinds of stores there. It's really new and really nice. Its an outdoor mall, its 100% safe. Here's the link to that: St. Johns Town Centerâ„¢ - Jacksonville, FL 32246 | Simon Malls

Another area you might want to consider is Ponte Vedra Beach. It's a really nice area of Jacksonville. It seems to have a reputation that more well off people live there.

Another mall is called Regency. I personally basically never go there. Given how you described yourself I am not thinking you will want to either. It's more like the mall that middle school or highschool aged kids go walk around and hang out at instead of legit good shopping. But, to each his own I suppose.

Also, you may be interested in St Augustine Florida. Its about a 30 to 40 minute drive from. There are outlet malls there which can be fun, but I wouldn't want to live right beside them. St. Augustine Premium Outlets

St Aug also has a bunch of character, its very old and has beautiful old buildings and streetways. It has a bunch of nice restaurants there as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
Ya know, I think there's only been 1 place in Jacksonville cited by any publication anywhere as a great place to retire in the past few years......and for some reason, none of you have brought it up:

Riverside & Avondale: Best neighborhoods to retire - Jacksonville, FL (19) - Money Magazine

Here is the neighborhood website with just about everything you need to know:

Riverside Avondale Preservation

Some photos:

http://www.thechelsealofts.com/lofts_files/Chelsea-Lofts-Exterior.jpg (broken link)

Here's a recent article in the London Financial Times about the neighborhood: FT.com / House & Home - Perfectly preserved

If interested, these are the local realty companies that know the area best:

www.atkinsonrealtygroup.com
www.traditionsjax.com

You can find a nice house or condo in the area for 175-250k easily.

Search for "riverside avondale" in City Data and you'll find LOTS of other good info that I and others have posted before.

Last edited by fsu813; 02-22-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
Riverside would not be my first choice if proximity to shopping is a prime consideration. The shops there are nice to browse, but for hard core shopping, Riverside doesn't cut it. It is a beautiful area, though.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
Riverside & Avondale have TONS of shopping. In fact, they are probably the greatest concentration of unqiue, non-chain botiques, restaurants, cafes, electic shops, designer clothing, etc. You won't big box stores there generally, but they aren't too far (15-20 minutes, depending).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville