Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times

Advertisements

in orlando, which to me, is the most transient city on the planet, i hear ppl fleeing to northern ga, tn, and so on. i think this question has been asked before, but are ppl up in northern fla leaving too?

in orlando, it seems like many ppl just got here, or are looking to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:53 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
I would like to know this too...

it makes you wonder how long NC will remain "perfect" with these hordes moving in...it's a very nice state but you may just be delaying the inevitable by moving there. Although I suppose the ones who get in there on the ground floor and buy homes and sell in 10 years will make a killing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
in orlando, which to me, is the most transient city on the planet, i hear ppl fleeing to northern ga, tn, and so on. i think this question has been asked before, but are ppl up in northern fla leaving too?

in orlando, it seems like many ppl just got here, or are looking to move.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 PM

regarding real estate, the thing is, big houses in charlotte (for example) are pretty cheap (compared to fla). houses in fla that would be $350k are only $250k in charlotte. i dont see real estate appreciating much in the charlotte area. as hot as it is there (real estate-wise) it just doesnt seem like houses are appreciating there like they are here in fla. which is a good thing, and a bad thing (if you are looking to make a profit).

but anyway, make to my original question...

Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 AM

only 2 replies? one of them by me? c'mon guys... you can just answer yes or no if you want to...

Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
only 2 replies? one of them by me? c'mon guys... you can just answer yes or no if you want to...
I just got here, why would I leave? I like it here!

does real estate cost more here than in NC? maybe, FLA at some levels is more expensive than NC, I'm in PVB and anything in NC close to the beaches would cost about the same, now for other expenses, homeowners insurance is an issue anywhere along the eastern seaboard, and property taxes might be cheaper in NC but in NC you have an income tax, taxes on your car's value and other nuisance taxes that you don't have in FLA.
bottom line, there isn't enough of a difference in my case to warrant a move.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:49 AM

real estate aside... i didnt mean to get into the real estate thing. back to original question...

Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 AM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
About three years ago, we began a quest to find a better place to raise our kids. We tried really hard to move to Charlotte from SFL but my husband couldn't find a job there and we ended up in Jax. Our closest friends (work from home) took the leap and moved there. Believe it or not, we live in a house that costs the same ($800K--me in PVB and her in a suburb south of Charlotte) and the houses there aren't moving quickly right now because there's so much new construction that it's hurting the resale market (I get this information from my friends who live who have already moved twice since they've lived there). They miss the beach but feel that they're in a great place to raise kids. We realize (in hindsight) that there was nothing wrong in SFL. When we tell people that we're moving again (a job transfer this time), they look at me like I'm an alien for two reasons: 1)Why would we want to live anywhere but Jacksonville--it's a fab town and getting more cosmospolitan every year and it's a great place to raise kids and 2) Everyone gets bored with where they live sometimes and want to try something new. You could just throw it out as people who you meet who want to move are in search of something or just aren't happy where they are. I don't know if it necessarily has to do with FL or just with themselves.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Default Nope.

I was in NC about 2 years ago - along the coast (Lowcountry).

The more desirable parts of the coast are already pricey. It gets less expensive if you go inland, but that's no different than here in NEFL.

In the parts I visited - Beaufort, Morehead City, etc. - I don't know what I would do with myself, there did not seem to be much going on at all and I'm not ready for the rocking chair. These areas are pretty, but no prettier than what can be found right here or in hundreds of other places in the US.

We had a post with this question in the general Florida forum and like I said there, I don't know anyone who is saying 'I'm moving to NC' or TN, or anywhere like that.

Maybe those people in Orlando only need to look a bit further out from where they currently are...head out to the smaller towns and get away from Orlando itself - this might solve whatever unhappiness they have without packing up and moving to another state entirely.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
Several of my neighbors are considering moving to NC if they can find a better job there. IT jobs that pay a decent wage here are hard to come by. There are more opportunities in the research triangle around Raleigh. No one I know really wants to move there for other than economic reasons.

The other big IT hub is Orlando. Most Techies I have spoken to would choose Raleigh over Orlando.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:36 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
There is some great wreck diving right near morehead city but yes, it would be like watching paint dry to live in any of those towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I was in NC about 2 years ago - along the coast (Lowcountry).

The more desirable parts of the coast are already pricey. It gets less expensive if you go inland, but that's no different than here in NEFL.

In the parts I visited - Beaufort, Morehead City, etc. - I don't know what I would do with myself, there did not seem to be much going on at all and I'm not ready for the rocking chair. These areas are pretty, but no prettier than what can be found right here or in hundreds of other places in the US.

We had a post with this question in the general Florida forum and like I said there, I don't know anyone who is saying 'I'm moving to NC' or TN, or anywhere like that.

Maybe those people in Orlando only need to look a bit further out from where they currently are...head out to the smaller towns and get away from Orlando itself - this might solve whatever unhappiness they have without packing up and moving to another state entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville