Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 PM

119 posts, read 608,648 times

Advertisements

moving to Jax in August, and today and yesterday I went rental condo hunting! Everything looked beautiful, and it comes down to a condo in stonebridge near baymeadows/9A and a condo in jax beach. The beach seems more "happening" so I'm tempted to suck up the long drive to work (baymeadows/I95) and go for beachside.

I'm 23 and everyone I've talked to says I MUST live beachside if I want to have friends. Is this true? Do most young people live at the beach? I will do the long drive and more expensive rent if I it means I won't be isolated and can have more friends.

this is the 2nd or 3rd time i've picked everyone's brains about locations, thanx again for your help

Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM

19 posts, read 79,022 times
I would pick the beach by far. I am not sure how much difference in rent is that would be my only concern. I love the beaches and drive everyday on JTB past southside exits, no problem at approx 7:30 am (not sure otherwise)

I am only leaving as I am buying a house and that I cannot afford by the beach

Old 06-05-2007, 10:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Default That's a tough one!

My first thought it "the beach, of course!"

Are they the same price? If the condo at the beach is in decent shape and affordable, that's very tempting. Have you explored insurance for it? That would be my main concern with property at the beach these days - can I insure it and how outrageous will the cost be?

A condo at the beach should appreciate well and could even become a rental later if you wanted to do the landlord thing.

Stonebridge is fairly new, in a great area, would be a really good commute to work for you, but outside of the location, it's just one of hundreds of condos/townhomes popping up allover Jax.

As a young person, you would have a great time living at the beach, but you'd be okay in the Baymeadows area too. Lots of young people live in Baymeadows...though many of them probably spend Saturday night out at the beach!

Hmmmm.....sounds like you need a pro/con list !

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM

119 posts, read 608,648 times
well riveree I would just be renting for at least a year. The baymeadows one is 900 and the beach is 1200...and I'll try and find a roomie so it would be 450 vs 600. I could afford either, but with the beach I wouldn't save up as fast to buy a place.

haha, I did make a pro/con list! It boils down to convenience to work/cheap for baymeadows vs. being near the cool kids at the beach! I'm leaning towards cool over practical!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash731 View Post
well riveree I would just be renting for at least a year. The baymeadows one is 900 and the beach is 1200...and I'll try and find a roomie so it would be 450 vs 600. I could afford either, but with the beach I wouldn't save up as fast to buy a place.

haha, I did make a pro/con list! It boils down to convenience to work/cheap for baymeadows vs. being near the cool kids at the beach! I'm leaning towards cool over practical!
Oh, duh! How did I miss that? It was right there in the beginning of your post: 'rental condo hunting'. Okay, got it now.

Well, that makes the beach even more attractive I think. No worries about insurance, etc., for you - it's just a rental. I think you should give the beach a try, that would be a really unique experience. Plenty of cool kids out there, you'll fit right in !

Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM

19 posts, read 79,022 times
Check the rents our apartment which we are leaving at the end of this month (if you need a place) nothing fancy, old 1 bedroom great location is only $750 but there are lots around here for under $1K. Not sure if you have a roomate or will be finding one though.

Also as a first time homebuyer I was able to do 100% loan. the difference of putting down 10K to me was only saving $60 month and I dont have to have PMI so just my $.02

Definatly live at the beach. Should not even have to concider unless the cost is way more in my opinion.....

By the way I am in Neptune Beach which is right next to Jax beach, check there also, lots of rentals

Also I am in Neptune Beach, right next to Jax beach. check rentals there as well lots of them...

Last edited by Leesa1213; 06-06-2007 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: