Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM

109 posts, read 306,693 times

Advertisements

Amica wanted $4800!! If I switched my cars to them and bought an umbrella policy, would drop to $4100. Very high and insured for less value than Chubb. Chubb also wants to be "sticky" by demanding that you insure all personal property such as cars with them. My colleague suggested PURE insurance--this company was started from a group that left Chubb and is AM moody rated A. It is similar to USAA in that the members own the company and "profits" are reinvested and result in lower premiums over the years. Been around for 7 years. I decided to go with them with the hope that one day USAA will re-enter the Florida market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Pure has only been in business for about 3 years. Apparently lost $6 million in 2008 (last year for which I could find financials):

http://www.purehnw.com/financial_str...ine_Report.pdf

And we haven't had a big storm in years. Last rating was A- (not A) and it is a very small company. IMO - one decent storm - and "poof - there it goes".

I do not at all blame companies for being "sticky" and requiring that you place the policies you want that are likely to make a profit with them as well as those that are more likely to result in a loss. People used to "dick around" with State Farm - keeping its homeowners' coverage - and trying to save $100/year going with another company for auto policies. They were the first people State Farm dropped when it started shedding policies in Florida.

Anyway - I would have gone with Chubb and looked at increased deductibles (on all policies) to lower overall premium costs. Robyn

P.S. I assume you have an umbrella policy with some company (Florida is kind of lawsuit crazy).

Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Robyn55 - thanks for the info. This was not represented to me by the agent. I think I may indeed reconsider Chubb. The whole insurance game here in Florida is simply ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs2000 View Post
Robyn55 - thanks for the info. This was not represented to me by the agent. I think I may indeed reconsider Chubb. The whole insurance game here in Florida is simply ridiculous.
Also - reading a little more - I found out that PURE is an insurance reciprocal - not an insurance company:

Reciprocals

This concept may work well with a very large diversified risk group. But with a small group of homeowners - a lot in Florida - with big houses - big mortgages - and a lot who are underwater? Think I'd rather self-insure. Robyn

Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM

After everything was said and done, I went with Amica. Had to move cars to them but rates were good. Wind mitigation form from the inspection was key--windows were hurricane impact. Final quote: $3400 per year, high but not outrageous.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs2000 View Post
After everything was said and done, I went with Amica. Had to move cars to them but rates were good. Wind mitigation form from the inspection was key--windows were hurricane impact. Final quote: $3400 per year, high but not outrageous.
Let us know how you fare with Amica. FWIW - our premium for coverage with State Farm for about a $500k replacement house - and about $150k in contents coverage - is $1700 (which includes about $1400 in storm mitigation credits that may disappear next year). We also have auto and umbrella with State Farm (State Farm services our flood coverage as well - but only makes a small servicing fee on that). Although we built our house in 1995-96 - we have CBS construction - first generation hurricane impact windows - impact garage doors - total hip roof - etc. We built our house to Dade County windstorm codes in effect then - not St. Johns County codes. Incorporating the design/construction features that seem to matter most to insurance companies (and to us - since we went through Hurricane Andrew). Robyn

Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM

12 posts, read 35,356 times
I just signed a policy on a new home in Durbin Crossing. The coverage was for more, for ~400, and the price was $930, covering everything, with $1000 deductable and 2% hurricane deductable. I bought flood additionally for $360. I went through Jade Albrecht with Allstate, and he was great. The lender screwed things up at closure and didn't have the insurance worked out, and he secured me a policy while I sat at the title company in under 30 minutes.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccoy View Post
I just signed a policy on a new home in Durbin Crossing. The coverage was for more, for ~400, and the price was $930, covering everything, with $1000 deductable and 2% hurricane deductable. I bought flood additionally for $360. I went through Jade Albrecht with Allstate, and he was great. The lender screwed things up at closure and didn't have the insurance worked out, and he secured me a policy while I sat at the title company in under 30 minutes.

Thanks! Good to know! That's less than we pay here, so I'd be thrilled with under $1000. I assume Allstate is writing new policies? We use them now, so maybe it would be less of a hassle to stick with them.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccoy View Post
Your insurance isn't with Allstate - it's with Allstate Floridian. So if Allstate gets hits with a big storm in Florida - only Allstate Floridian is on the hook. FWIW - State Farm has also worked with a Florida subsidiary for years.

BTW - how did you get flood insurance? Congress didn't renew the federal flood program a few weeks ago - and it has yet to be reinstated (think Congress will take up the issue next week)? Robyn

Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM

12 posts, read 35,356 times
It's not with Allstate at all. The agent is an allstate agent, but the insurance is secured through a separate company. I don't know about the flood issue you mention, but know that I have a policy in effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville