Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,424,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmar99 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I actually have scratched out Gainesville, things happened since my post where Gainesville is no longer an option. However, Jacksonville definitely is! Still trying to decide on the location though, but the suggestions have been helpful, primarily to confirm some of the ideas I already had. I'm not thrilled about the idea of a strip mall because I'd hate to be burried among stores in a crowded area of town... Still a work in progress!
I'd think you'd want an area where you have tons of foot traffic in a crowded area. I'd rather be next to a Walmart than in the middle of nowhere. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,256,011 times
hahaha thats where people differ. some people like walmarts and strip malls and parking lots while others like unique and original and walkable.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,424,579 times
I think the issue is where you'll get the most business - not the most aesthetic place to set up shop. I reckon the food vendors in front of Home Depot do a pretty good business most of the year - even though they're not exactly in a chic location. Robyn

Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,712,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmar99 View Post
My life has hit a crossroad that has left my head spinning... so hopefully I'll be able to explain it clearly!

I've been wanting to open an ice cream business with my family for a while in Jacksonville but timing hasn't been good. My husband will now go to Gainesville to attend school, and I can't decide if I should go ahead with the business idea here as planned, or should I do it in Gainesville?

If it's in Gainesville, how feasible is it that we would be able to move back to JAX in 4 years?

In JAX, what area in town could use this business? Preferably where people are walking mostly rather than driving by? And is this something we can do where we practically live apart for 4 years?

We don't have kids but will more than likely have them in this same time period.... help!!
Can't speak for Jacksonville but I will tell you about Fleming Island. There is a Maggie Moo's that has been here for a few years. Other shops come and go (Scoopy Doos, next to Fleming Island High School) or come and go and come back again (Little Scoops next to Carmike Fleming Island). Other restaurants that appeared to have done well (Blue Grotto) are also gone. On Wells Road, there are a few steakhouses that no longer exist and along Blanding there are many restaurants that have come and gone.

I recommend consulting with your franchise's staff to determine the demographics for that business and then search for similar demographics of where you would like your business. Obviously, cost of leases and quality staff are your biggest hurdle. As a customer who enjoys dining out, it is Customer Service that dictates whether I come back or not. Being very vocal where I work, that impression exponentially gets communicated which can make or break a business.

It is an uphill battle (my father in law failed at restaurants twice before succeeding as an entrepreneur) but if you stick with it, have a good business plan, have excellent staff, you will become a success.Good luck with your endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville